Wondering about wandering?

Nicky T

Had a interestng conversation with David Kempley at the Hodnet Challenge last week about the merits of starting and/or finishing a round of Sporting Clays on a particular type of stand in terms of target presentation and consequently difficulty. I've always been a fan on starting on a softer stand to ease myself into proceedings and then get stuck into the harder targets. Dave threw a different slant on things preferring to start on something middle of the road and finish on the easier stuff.

Having reffed a fair few shoots recently it seems that opinions are split with some starting wherever they please and others wander around the course analysing a selection of stands prior to deciding where best to start. A father and son duo spring to mind as the most indecisive culprits! :yp:

So what do you prefer?

You can spend ages wandering about analysing each stand and mentally grading it on a scale of 1 - 10 for toughness, I know plenty that do this, it's like all theories, if it works for you, then do it.

I've tried it in the past, but nowadays I don't bother, and generally take them as they come, but I do try and avoid starting on an absolute stinker and will move to the next stand.

I well remember an awful start at the British Open when it was last held at West London in 1985/86?, (I can't remember :blush:), and won by one of Dave's buddies, Tony Booth, a great shot in his day, I started on the high tower with a hard simmo pair of quartering away midis, went on there and missed all 4 pairs, a complete disaster, I vowed never to do that again, the following year it was held at Hodnet and won by John Wells, I straighted the first stand which boosted my confidence and resulted in me putting in a half decent score that enabled me to get my first England Team place.

I always reckon you need to get off to a good start. :yes:

Cat.

Speaking from experience, whatever you do don’t start on the rabbit stand. :hmm::angry::lol:

I definitely avoid simo pairs to start off with, and would favour the easier stands as I do shoot better as the day goes on.

However I would not like to finish on a ball breaker either, I have in the past been on a good card only to throw it away at the end.

The pressure of ‘don’t miss these and you’re in the money’ throws my timing out as I can hang on to them a bit too long to try & make sure, not a problem with an easy stand, a nightmare with a hard stand.

In reality I am lazy, so just I find a stand close to where I am that looks ok(ish) and shoot them as I stumble across the stands.

In my ideal world it would start with easy then harder in the middle then easy at the last stand :yes::good:

All post seam to say one thing to me?

It's all mental!

Perhaps if you look at it another way like with one looks more fun and take the pressure of you??

The way I chose is the stand with the less Que!

Lol

And take the attitude that if I am going to miss ill miss know matter what order its done in

I know people will disagree with what I think.

But times I see people all stressed and winding them selfs up and over thinking about things.

When I think if they just relaxed and enjoyed it they will shoot better and be more natural.

Different depending on your what sort of attitude you start with. I never like to start on gimmies as if you miss one you can already be out o the hunt. Personally I like to start on a middle of the road kind of stand that doesn't rely on timing (unlike going away birds), and something that takes a bit of lead. A nice 35-40 yard battue, looper crosser etc gets me moving and if your not quite awake and miss one you don't feel like its too much of annuphill struggle. You can move on to the card fillers and timing shots later..

Edited by EdSolomons

Personally I take the view that they have all got to be shot and on that basis I just get on with it. Might be because I'm too lazy to wander round a shoot analyzing the severity of the targets.

Will admit it is a bit of a ****** if you drop targets on your first stand but I've seen more than enough AAA shooters miss 2 or 3 on one stand and go on to win HG with a 90+.

It's yet one more in the ever lengthening list of things that can **** with your mind, right gun, right choke, right make of cartridge, right shot size, right make and colour of glasses, right sort of snap-caps and so on and so on.

I might be wrong but the type of shooter who is obsessed with all or even most of the above is not the guy on the podium or pocketing the HG envelope. Those guys, and there are a few on here past and present, always seem to me to just get on with it, with the very odd exception not much choke twiddling or cartridge swapping, don't get hung up on which stand to start on, they just seem to get on with it, calmly, collectively, smoothly and slowly. Without knowing who they are you could almost tell that all birds will be killed by their demeanor before they step into the stand. I suspect that they know subconsciously that what matters in that next minute or two is 99% dependent on them, the individual and their relationship with their gun. The rest (see above) is that last 1% that hardly matters.

One other thing worth bearing in mind is that if you do get to the very top in both ESP and FITASC Sporting the competitions which will get you onto the front pages of PULL and Clay Sporting are all squadded and you'll have no choice of where to start. This is true of all FITASC shoots and the major championships at English Sporting.

Potter

we'll normally try and find a medium stand to start on, not too easy as like been said

dont want to miss any cardfillers while your're getting going.

also try not to leave the harder stands to last and see a decent card ruined.

does depend on where we're shooting though, a couple of the clubs we shoot at you dont get any choice