Car Insurance

M.I.A

Last year my renewal came through and it had jumped from £400 to £1000!! I was 26 at the time and had 6years no claims, needless to say I was slightly shocked. I shoped around and got it down to £750 so in the end I scrapped the car and didn't bother. I could not believe how much extra cash I had floating around.

I managed like this for just over a year before I had to buy another car. I now have a crappy 206 that I got for £500 and hav to pay £700 to insure the damn thing!

I don't know how they come up with these prices but I'm pretty sure they just think up thee numbers and times that by ten!

Jesus that sounds a bit harsh if you ask me.

That insurance premium is mental really, i could understand a few grand but 7! Its one of them "they have you by the balls situations"

carnt do anything about it really execpt just pay it, only good thing is i have my own firm so im self empolyed and my truck is down as work vechiel so in afect i do get the tax relief on it,

only another 4 years then it should be the same price as jo public :hmm: :hmm:

My first car was a 1.2 clio at 18 that cost 1500 to insure (quinn), at 19 had a 2.0 petrol focus at about £800 (aviva), at 20 then volvo v50 Turbo Diesel at £650 (aviva), at 21 got my mazda 6 2.0 turbo diesel £680 (swift). Then had a prang lost 3 years no claims but this time admiral come back with £750.00 which i dont think is too bad considering i also put my 20 year old fiancee on there.

In between that i changed from quin to aviva becuase the increase was to about 2500, then aviva to swift because on the Mazda as aviva quoted me 1800 and swift 680.00, stupid thing was the mazda was a lower insurance group and less value than the volvo the previous year.

Do you pay monthly? If so try the prices for paying off the full premium i found this a lot better and put it on a credit card. Admiral was 750 per year but 1100 if paid monthly, which is more than the interest rate.

I'd probably buy a push bike.

17 year olds get cheaper insurance than that, you must have driven through a Ferrari garage followed by a porsche show room finally coming to rest in the local private jet shop, while drunk and uninsured to get to that sort of figure.

If he was uninsured he wouldnt have claimed :D

:shaun:

I'd probably buy a push bike.

17 year olds get cheaper insurance than that, you must have driven through a Ferrari garage followed by a porsche show room finally coming to rest in the local private jet shop, while drunk and uninsured to get to that sort of figure.

thats rite mate 8 times over dd limit :no: you cock :good:

We were with Aviva last year - renewal had gone up to £326 so got quote from Tesco at £245 so took it out - between taking out Tesco three weeks before Aviva due SWMBO banged car into a wall -£5k damage plus her sisters house repairs - That made thing complicated so cancelled Tesco and renewed with Aviva- £265 so was happy with that - Also Aviva accident repair were excellent but not quite so good on the custom service side regarding what is covered and what isn't - Because I took out the first Aviva policy when we had two cars I didn't think to update it to cover courtesy car when I scrapped mine - Now that little bit has given me some grief and cost a few hundred quid.

So make sure you cover all options and one thing I was glad of was reducing excess from £400 to £150.

dave

I've not even bothered! I was looking at insurance for a 1.2L small car, but being 18 I couldn't get insured for any less than £1800. Absolutley spotless ledger, no convictions or warnings at all. I'll just wait a while for it to defalte slightly before I start driving I think.

Smaller cars are always a ****** to insure these days because they are popular with the "yoof". Im 21 myself, and i will soon have the joy of trying to insure a Defender as my first car (when i can actually find one). Not looking forward to it, though im told defenders are not too bad to insure.

I have just had the renewal through on my private car policy and ****** me its gone up hundreds of pounds, i have had no claims or convictions and have max bonus

Just been on the price comparison sites and my renewal is the best by far, bit dearer than the cheapest on the comparison site buts i get alot of extras

Anyone else in the same boat?

hope my car insurance dont go up like my motor bike insurance has just done they wanted £57 fully comp for my 650cc bike

colin

Funny thing is the insurance companies actually don't make huge profits that you would think as I understand it. They have to pay out so much in personal injury and fraud so they charge more in premium, and any sign of risk they would rather not qoute hence sky high if you have had accident etc.

I actually insure through work on a collective scheme, comes in a lot less than on open market just because if anyone made a dodgy claim or was caught drink / dangerous driving we would lose our jobs and prob not able to get another in the industry so it takes that factor out for them.

Guest topshot_2k

My renewal price was up £110. rang around and got my price to £557 for impreza, fully comp. Our Skyline also came down from £1019 to £740 with Sky Insurance and A Plan.

surance is a bast for certain,no rhyme or reason to it,Last year my renewal on my reno traffic was 650 ish(up from 550) and after shopping round it turned out to be the best i could do,on the other hand my car went down to 840 from 900,Same drivers,postcode,circumstances etc

I have just had the renewal through on my private car policy and ****** me its gone up hundreds of pounds, i have had no claims or convictions and have max bonus

Just been on the price comparison sites and my renewal is the best by far, bit dearer than the cheapest on the comparison site buts i get alot of extras

Anyone else in the same boat?

Simple solution buy a classic car pay £65 per year fully comp, I've got a 71 Rover P6 2.2SC auto and the best bit is theres NO road tax as well ,if your handy with the spanners it works out cheaper to run than my smart car!!