WHERE

Highlander

or more precisely what crops/feed are they being shot over at the moment in your area? We have some very poor spring rape that's attracting large numbers (good bags) and some set aside full of chickweed etc that they keep coming back to but not in large numbers and some cattle feed crops that are being harvested to leave the clover/grass to come through. That's about it unless you want to sit it out over peas for a few strays.

Exactly the question i was going to ask. On my permission i have a small wood, with a hedgerow going down the side for about a mile, but all the pigeons are flying behind the wood, and to far away from the hedgerow to shoot.

If you only had a set of 12 half shell pigeon decoys, and a full bodied decoy, where would you first of all position your hide, and secondly what kind of pattern would be more effective to use with the decoys, and would you guys also use a crow decoy somewhere in the pattern, does this really work? :good:

I've shot 113 in the last three outings over lupins. They have just started dropping in on the clover that is showing through, after silage making, so I expect them to concentrate on that from now on. Then if I get to 'em they will go back to the lupins. There are also one or two on the grass fields, with the sheep, rooks and jackdaws. I shot the rooks quite heavily during the 'brancher' stage but they are with the sheep in the mornings and on the cut silage fields in the afternoon. They are also nicking feed in the pedigree Hereford calf creeps.

I have seen pigeons building up on Barley in the last week in two different places. I have not shot at them yet letting them keep hitting it first, so the numbers will build up. And its early for barley but there getting on it. :):good:

we are shooting them over peas at the moment and clover. We had 86 on peas today.

But travelling a lot of miles to find them

Dave K

You had better get them in line for October TG's

I don't want the Dwarf having any excuse's for his shooting.

I have a short stocked Nickleson taking room in my cabinet for him :good::):)

LB

I am shooting good size bags over spring rape at the moment.

Tom & i have shot 40's, 60's & 80's over the last four to five weeks over three

different farms :blink: (See Sporting Photo's)

We should get a few more days on the short patches before it gets to high

to shoot.

Winter barley is started to turn, and if we get any heavy rain then the we'll

get some good bags on the blown patches at the beginning of July.

Been watching staedy flights of pigeons on to Clover & chick weed, whilst repairing and building some new Pheasant pens on my pheasant shoot over last few weeks, may get some time this Sunday, Fox drives Sat, although I've got a lot of rabbits to deal with that are attacking a game crop and had a call from another farm I shoot to get up and "sort them rabbit's out". So Doos might have to wait.

Vermin everywhere!!!

Hammy

Went and had a look yesterday. All our land is barley and it's just starting to turn. All of it is bolt upright with no laid areas. Until we get some rain and wind it's not worth shooting, if this doesn't happen then we might get a few on the stubble. Took the gun and shot 1 along the hedge row, very few birds about.

• 3 weeks later...