Eley used to make them, branded ICI for the military. I remember using them on one of the CBQ ranges at Lydd/Hythe in the 80s. The range concerned was an NI scenario and they had various old PIRA type weapons operated on solenoid which would fire towards you :o Ish, into shot boxes below your firing position. A Tommy terrorist manequin would pop up, and you were supposed to give a contact report (stating high velocity/low velocity single shot or automatic fire), then a fire control order then engage the "terrorist" as a section. This was all using .22 tracer out of sub calibre inserts in SLRs. The guns firing towards you were 70/80s vintage IRA weapons like the M1 Garand and Thompson SMG. Great fun! But the terrorist guns and the solenoid firing mechanisms were always jamming.

ISTR a lot of mil surplus .22 tracer being sold about 20 years ago, but not seen much since. Seems they have a fair bit in the US though.....

AMM-053.jpg

SBR22.jpg

And some newer looking Eley stuff

ACF1539.JPG

Well they're still legal to buy (armour piercing and incendary are not though),but i think you'll struggle to find anyone who sells it in rimfire as its more commonly found in 5.56 and 7.62.

I would like to know more about armour piercing being illegal please.

A few years ago a friend got a 1000 rounds from Radway Green. They have a tungten tip to assist armour piercing!

I never noticed anything in law about armour piercing!

U.

A few years ago a friend got a 1000 rounds from Radway Green. They have a tungten tip to assist armour piercing!

U.

Click here and scroll down to ammunition.

Are you sure they were genuine armour piercing because theres a lot of steel jacketed 7.62 in the UK at moment which people often mistaken for it.

U.

Firearms Act 1968 Ch 27 pt 1

Subject to section 5A of this Act, a person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Secretary of State [F1or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or sells or transfers—

(a)any firearm which is disguised as another object;

(b)any rocket or ammunition not falling within paragraph © of subsection (1) of this section which consists in or incorporates a missile designed to explode on or immediately before impact and is for military use;

©any launcher or other projecting apparatus not falling within paragraph (ae) of that subsection which is designed to be used with any rocket or ammunition falling within paragraph (B) above or with ammunition which would fall within that paragraph but for its being ammunition falling within paragraph © of that subsection;

(d)any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed so that a substance contained in the missile will ignite on or immediately before impact;

(e)any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed, on account of its having a jacket and hard-core, to penetrate armour plating, armour screening or body armour;

Thanks, learn something every day.

However, Radway Green 5.56mm has a tungsten cone shaped tip. Or did have. Or use to be sold to the public with said tip!

I sectioned a bullet and found it difficult to cut and found the tungsten tip.

I asked a chap who worked there howcome the special tip? He said the ammo was failing a standard NATO armour plate test for that ammo which required a certain amount of penetration at a certain angle on steel plate so they added the tip.

This was a few years ago now, I pulled some and checked, may still have some and thats how I know they have a tungsten tip!

If it still is the case I don't know and maybe the quoted law was after this event in my life(it was ages ago) circa the 90's.

Anyone got any Radway Green 5.56mm to cut open?

U.

• 4 weeks later...