Decoying on snow

Pez123

In my experience decoying on snow is a major waste of time, they just don't seem to see the deeks. Now the good news is they also don't seem to be able to see you :lol: , so what I often do is stand a few feet out from the hedge (don't try and conceal yourself by standing close to vegetation as it has the opposite effect) and simply flight them.

Obviously this is only ever going to work where there are enough birds and movement about to make it worthwhile but essentially works better than trying to use a blow torch and melt snow and stuff :lol: .

In my experience decoying on snow is a major waste of time, they just don't seem to see the deeks. Now the good news is they also don't seem to be able to see you :lol: , so what I often do is stand a few feet out from the hedge (don't try and conceal yourself by standing close to vegetation as it has the opposite effect) and simply flight them.

Obviously this is only ever going to work where there are enough birds and movement about to make it worthwhile but essentially works better than trying to use a blow torch and melt snow and stuff :lol: .

yep very much so went 4 times last year you wont last one hrs in cold before your freezeing and pack up will take bets on how long you can manage

my guess ...... 1hr 20 mins

sounds about right that advise,still will give it a go in the morning and see what happens.

hopefully get near a wood which will add traffic to the area :good:

keeper seems keen to give em a bit of stick :lol:

Absolutely spot on, you're wasting your time trying to decoy 'em onto snow covered fields, far better to stay at home and catch up on those DIY jobs...

Cat

sounds about right that advise,still will give it a go in the morning and see what happens.

hopefully get near a wood which will add traffic to the area :good:

keeper seems keen to give em a bit of stick :lol:

And where will the keeper be?? sat at home with a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea in the warm :yes:

The only time I've ever drawn a few birds in with snow on the ground was a field of sprouts :yes: , these were almost big enough for picking and stood well up and away from the ground which was covered in snow. The tops were covered in bird poo so you knew they were feeding on them. I put all the decoys on top of the sprouts and managed about a dozen I think, the reason I remember it so well is because I was inches away from a ruddy electric fence and try as I might could not keep myself from touching it two or three times an hour :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I was set up by 9:30, I walked 150 off the field (standing maize) and was frozen at 3pm so packed up, shot 25, and not one of the committed to the decoys, the wind was in my face so they where crossing over my head or just hovering over having a look! Strange, the wind changed direction from last week as on Monday last week I had shot 81 in 5 hours on the same field, same spot, same setup. (1 magnet, 30 shells and 2 bouncers) if the weather was different it would of been a repeat from last week! Still worth going out though!

I was set up by 9:30, I walked 150 off the field (standing maize) and was frozen at 3pm so packed up, shot 25, and not one of the committed to the decoys, the wind was in my face so they where crossing over my head or just hovering over having a look! Strange, the wind changed direction from last week as on Monday last week I had shot 81 in 5 hours on the same field, same spot, same setup. (1 magnet, 30 shells and 2 bouncers) if the weather was different it would of been a repeat from last week! Still worth going out though!

Whoa....hold on, according to most of the "experts" on here, snow means "fill yer boots time" when it comes to pigeon shooting, so what were you doing wrong....or perhaps the "experts" may be wrong after all..?? :hmm:

With all of this snow still around, it's a good time to catch up on those DIY jobs. :yes:

Cat.