BASC Council Elections ?

Kes

Ok guys we hear a lot about BASC and its contribution to field sports and certainly Davidbasc has done a lot for its image on here but ......do you bother to vote in elections for BASC Council? If not, why not and are you content for the association to manage itself ?

How many ex BASC people do you vote for ?

Should new people have a go?

I'd be interested to hear how much those who strongly support BASC are also those who are content with a status quo ?

Are you bothered that dog men (pickers up/field trials) may be less well represented ? Wwhat kind of BASC should it be for the next 10 years ?

Or dont you care as long as the insurance and badges are provided?

I shall be voting for changes.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to BASC (about 2 weeks), do I get to vote?

Anyone registered as a member gets a vote - may I suggest you read the bio's on all candidates ?

There are a lot of 'been there onecers) - I suggest we need new commited people.

I`ll be voting for Alan Jarrett and John Graham.

And only for those two since a vote for any other candidate will effectively cancel out your vote for the candidates that you really want to get in.

Commonly called Tactical Voting we "real" shooting people need to get committed and experienced shooters back in the driving seat at BASC.

Kes, what changes will you be voting for? You also state that there`s a lot of "been there oncers" as if that were a bad thing.

Read between the lines mate,the above two candidates have held the most senior posts in BASC`s council. When they left first time around they thought that they had set BASC on the right path. It turns out that that might not have been the case and they`re coming back to finish the job.

Don`t waste your vote on some unknown and inexperienced political lightweight. Vote to re elect the above, two of BASC`s biggest hitting political heavyweights who will bring real change and accountability to BASC.

Vote for Alan Jarrett and John Graham.

And only for those two since a vote for any other candidate will effectively cancel out your vote for the candidates that you really want to get in.

Commonly called Tactical Voting we "real" shooting people need to get committed and experienced shooters back in the driving seat at BASC.

Kes, what changes will you be voting for? You also state that there`s a lot of "been there oncers" as if that were a bad thing.

Read between the lines mate,the above two candidates have held the most senior posts in BASC`s council. When they left first time around they thought that they had set BASC on the right path. It turns out that that might not have been the case and they`re coming back to finish the job.

Don`t waste your vote on some unknown and inexperienced political lightweight. Vote to re elect the above, two of BASC`s biggest hitting political heavyweights who will bring real change and accountability to BASC.

I think some of the been oncers or what ever they were referred to, had to leave coucil as I'm sure i read somewhere that after a certain amount of time you have to stand down or something like that.

I to will be voting for alan and john and the reasons are.

I'm a wildfowler first and foremost and as already said they are ones losing land and shooting rights to the anti shooting organisations,and I hope that they will fight tooth and nail to stop that.

I believe they will support all aspects of shooting,not just their preferred tyrp of shooting.

Having read some of alans books i;m aware that he is very keen for BASC to become a land owner,this has to be the best way to protect all our chosen discipalies , and with getting on for 4million in the bank its a discrace that they are not already major land owners.

I will be interesting to see what others think.

Voting for a Wildfowler is probably the right person to vote for.

Read the Bio's and if the candidate has been on Council previously, make enquiries what good they did previously. Many of them promise the Earth but do nothing once elected. John Graham & Alan Jarrett both worked hard and tirelessly previously.

If you can vote, do so, your vote will not be wasted and may elect a very good person.

Hi.

I have yet to decide which way to vote. I'd like a more even representation for our sport and I would like new people with energy and commitment and maybe a new approach. I am a supporter of wildfowling as perhaps the oldest element of our sport but buying land would have to be in the best interests of all and not just a minority, worthwhile though it is. If buying land is what is needed I would happily contribute a good amount but seperately, not affecting the majority membership but laying down a future we could all be proud of - isnt that what bequests etc are for ?

I dont like cronyism at all and i am therefore immediately suspicious of 'been there oncers' unless they shook the tree and can do so again.

We need new, fresh and dedicated people those with a vision not those who want laissez-faire.

Its a shame, in this day and age that we dont have BASC interviews with the candidates available on the web.

I dont like paying the shooting bills of the boys at BASC. I'd like a more dynamic council with a wide spread of interest. Not a home for the 'quiet lifers'

Just my opinion - shame David BASC's in no position to offer advice as I feel he has the sport at heart.

To put it in its simplest and most stark form.

Wildfowling is under immense pressure from a whole variety of issues. Many of those issues can be transferred to other branches of shooting sports such as pigeon shooting and driven game shooting.

If wildfowling goes under politically, then it is only a matter of time before the rest are dragged down in the whirlpool.

BASC needs to beef up it`s support for wildfowling and the only way to do that is to vote only for Alan Jarrett and John Graham.

Kes states that he`d like a more dynamic council.He only needs to look at the track record of these two from their last stint on Council to realise that they are the most dynamic and selfless of candidates.There will be no room for "quiet lifers" if you re elect them.

.. and with regards to the above I fully accept the importance of wildfowling and the threats that this shooting discipline is under. However, there are members of council who already have a huge amount of experience and knowledge of this subject. Game shooting and stalking are also disciplines that are well represented. I would, in no way seek to question the pedigrees and abilities of the previously mentioned candidates but I have decided to stand as my discipline, working gundogs, is not represented and hasnt been for years. Without gundogs shooting would find it almost impossible to continue. They are the common link across all the disciplines and I believe that makes them a link to be attacked. Tail docking is an example of how it could have been made impossible to use spaniels for work. Take away the dog and lose the sport - I want to help BASC ensure that doesnt happen. Mart.

It is my understanding that dogs are integral to our sport, be it wildfowling, driven or rough shooting, in fact every aspect of our sport and also the history of field sports.

Dogs are probably the biggest link we have with the general public and an opportunity to extend understanding of fieldsports to the country as a whole.

After much deliberation and with an eye to an uncertain future, I shall be supporting and voting for our friend above and trusting that, from a position of obvious specific knowledge, he translates that into a representation of the whole sport; vigorously.

Make the votes count this time all of you who never vote. There is much to be done and little time to do it.

I suggest that buying land with BASC's reserves is to slice our sport too thinly. Make it a crusade, and call for contributions to create a haven for part of our sport but if you cant shoot there (or anywhere\0 and you cant use dogs to collect the harvest, what is the point ?

A wider perspective is needed I suggest. Give someone a chance who perhaps has it.

Just MHO

Kes

Mymwood.

You have my vote.

I agree that council needs some new blood.

I have been asked to stand for election, but due to current personal circumstances have declined, but may accept a nomination in the future.

Good luck.

webber

Edited by webber

Claires election was a classic example of what can happen if we take our collective eyes off the council election ball. I mean no disrespect to Claire but we need to elect experienced shooters skilled in dealing with the way that BASC operates and having the stamina and balls to see that neccessary change actually happens.

For that to happen you need to vote for Graham and Jarrett.

Edited by mudpatten