Canoe suggestions for wife and I

ashtons99

In the absence of identifying the ideal forum section Im going for this one.

Im wanting a canoe for MrsA and I to spend a bit of time together on some local inland waterways, canals,rivers and do a bit of exploring.

Im weighing up the pros and cons of a traditional open canadian type to a covered sit in solid type to inflatable types.

The traditional open canadians look a bit more sociable (occupants can move about a bit more) but perhaps a bit cumbersome.

HAs anyone any experience/advice

I'm not big into canoes but I did have a coleman one summer (in a Julian Clarey voice :lol: ).

It cost about £600 quid of fleabay, I scuffed it all up scooting down the shingle to launch it and still managed to get £550 for it during the autumn. They hold their value really well so if you don't get on with it you can chop it in. I bought my one for fishing from but it wasn't very stable in anything but a calm sea. I started to fabricate a set of outrigger floats for it but unfortunately had to flog it as the barn it was stored in had to be cleared and I had nowhere to put it. You can car top them easily and once you've got the hang of them you can really motor along. I'll get another one defo.

Open hulled Canadian every time - and get a solid one, not an inflatable - As Ack-ack says, they don't lose their value at all, they are far more stable than they feel (It's very hard work to cap one) and you have loads of "space" options whether fishing, expeditioning or just having a paddle.

Plus, if you have some mates that want to go out with you, they are OK with 4 people in them.

Can't go wrong with an Apache imho. Great secondary stability, but you can heel it over for straighter tracking if you are in it on your own. I'm a big fan of canadian canoes, had a few in my time.

http://www.apachecanoes.co.uk

you can do a bit of a DIY build too - lets you bond with your canoe a bit before use! Best forum for canoe stuff :

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk

See pic of me and Bramble on the Avon last year. He loves a canoe trip - gets nice and close to the ducks and geese :D

post-2770-0-12003100-1328777538.jpg

Edited by Andy75

Just about to do the finish work on a 14foot canadian style canoe for my son, he bought it from a place in Norwich that makes them , £220 Ibelieve it cost , I just have to fit the seat and trim edge , fore and aft caps.

Plus his modifications :hmm:

Norwich will be Apache canoes iirc :good:

I think for the traditional feel and summer use I prefer the open type canoe. I have a double kayak (one big opening that will fit two adults and a child with the optional seat fitted). The closed type like mine will withstand more punishment and is more rigid, and with the spray deck will keep all your kit dry too. Down side is limited choice in where you sit and the number of passengers is pretty much limited by the seating arrangement.

Mine is a Kiwi 2, I think made by Perception?

Heres mine, a Linder Inkas 465al. All aluminium 15 1/2ft long and very light. I can carry it alone from the house to the river (about 200m). I often used it to extact firewood from across the river. Saves a long drive round. It can carry huge loads.

Image0049.jpg?t=1328819185

post-24214-0-43286800-1328819042.jpg

Edited by woodcock1

are you planning on going down the river Don, i did once, could have sworn i heard duelling banjo's being played from an overbridge :eh:

Duelling Tuba's :lol:

Heres mine, a Linder Inkas 465al. All aluminium 15 1/2ft long and very light. I can carry it alone from the house to the river (about 200m). I often used it to extact firewood from across the river. Saves a long drive round. It can carry huge loads.

Image0049.jpg?t=1328819185

What do they go for? Nice craft

thanks guys plenty of food for thought there. I will follow all the suggestions up.

Tod...i WAS, you have me worried now!!!

When you get sorted , a good river to start is the idle from start to finish, about 26 miles, a great little river and on the doorstep, going to do it myself this summer, camp at Haxey gate pub which is about half way. :good:

As has been said before, go for an open Canadian style canoe.

I have a single sea kayak, and the wife wants to come out with me on the local rivers, so we'll have to get another one. If I'd bought an open canoe, we could have gone out together, but it would have stopped me going out on my own. It is a lot more social though. They also carry a _lot_ more kit, so if you want to camp out over night, there's no need to scrimp on things.