PRIMERS

when reloading for my 243 the only primer i have used are winchester but my local shop has only remington at the moment so my question is. are they the same power as the wins?

Believe there all much of a muchness unless you go for magnum primers (which I wouldnt recommend due to raised pressures). One thing I would say is - 'what priming device are you using' as if its a lee then check its compatable with federal primers the press mounted autoload and the auto prime (not the XR) are not compatable with fedral primers, but thinking about it they also advise limiting the ammount of winchester primers you put in the tray as well...

Just food for safety thought.

Mike

when reloading for my 243 the only primer i have used are winchester but my local shop has only remington at the moment so my question is. are they the same power as the wins?

changing primers can make a difference mate,if your not on the top end of a load you will be OK just to change and re zero

you will find the the primers are remmy 9.5 your groups should be better there an excellent primer,I did some test with some not long back and my groups shrank to sub 1/4 inch

I have just loaded some in my mate 260 AI which again reduced the groups,load a couple up and try them before you make a batch,

becarefull not to listen to the old timers who havnt got a clue about modern reloading as everything you change "can" but not always make a difference

let us know how you go on

Edited by Ackley

In all my years of reloading I have never found any discernable difference really speaking. You shouldn't be loading loads or using powders that are so unforgiving that it would show up.

But Remington primers are interesting for another reason. I haven't seen any about for years. Wonder where he got them from.

Edited by Vince Green

I dont like Remmington primers have seen many that spit and pit the bolt face. Primer choice makes a big diffrence indeed i believe it second only to the powder. Put a new primer into an existing load can radically change pressure so make sure and work the load up again usinf std proceedure, you might even find you get more powder in without adverce pressure- but equaly!!!!!!

.243 is maybee not as sensitive to primer selection as the smaller cals but do not underestimate it or be complacent, personally i would buy from another shop or ask the guy to get you some in before you shop elsewere (litrally give him the chance and tell him)

In all my years of reloading I have never found any discernable difference really speaking. You shouldn't be loading loads or using powders that are so unforgiving that it would show up.

But Remington primers are interesting for another reason. I haven't seen any about for years. Wonder where he got them from.

Norman Clark and Tim Hammon stock remmy 9.5 primers

I've got some - Gun and Sport shop in Exeter. Only about 120odd, but if anyone local to Exmouth wants them, they're welcome - seems I haven't got a clue what to do with them.

Well I've loaded some cartridges using the rem primers and heres the result. cal 243, case hornaday, powder h4895=40gn, bullet hornaday v max 65gn, range 100mtr, tikka 20inch varmint barrel, shot from the tail gate of my hi-lux using a bipod, i fired a three shot group of 9mm, but only two holes as two bullets actually went through the same hole, extremely happy with that as i have had an accuracy problem i think due to my rifle having fired over 1000 shots and i think the lands are a little worn. In the past i have only ever used 55gn bullets so the 65s being longer take up more head space, thats my thinking anyway

Well I've loaded some cartridges using the rem primers and heres the result. cal 243, case hornaday, powder h4895=40gn, bullet hornaday v max 65gn, range 100mtr, tikka 20inch varmint barrel, shot from the tail gate of my hi-lux using a bipod, i fired a three shot group of 9mm, but only two holes as two bullets actually went through the same hole, extremely happy with that as i have had an accuracy problem i think due to my rifle having fired over 1000 shots and i think the lands are a little worn. In the past i have only ever used 55gn bullets so the 65s being longer take up more head space, thats my thinking anyway

told you so :P

• 2 weeks later...