Which car?

englishman-in-wales

Evening all.

Not sure if this should be in the motoring section, but here goes.

The step daughter is after her first car, she has set her budget and decided what car she wants, but here's the thing,for her money, is she better off going for a newer (57 plate) with 130k+ miles on the clock or an older (55 plate) with around 55k on the clock, my persoanl view is that she should go for the older one that has covered less milage..i think she wants a newer one to show off with, but with a lot higher milage.

Your thoughts please guys..

Thanks in advance

Rich.

Edited by englishman-in-wales

Depends on the car, 57 plate 130k of Mway miles and FSH could be less trouble than 55 plate school run mobile. Depends on the engine and things like cam belts etc pristine high miler vs ragged shopper I would go high miler but then my last 2 cars went to 180k and 225k current one bought with super low mileage 23k at 3 years had all sorts go wrong in first 6 months. I wouldnt on petrol unless it was merc or 6 cylinder Beemer, Diesel, should be good for 200k if the car doesnt fall apart around it my last one at 225k engine gearbox etc was fine electric started to go but bodywork was also rust free and in decent nick. IF you didnt see the odometer you wouldnt know!

Lower milage subject to the usual due diligence,the other,everything has done the miles,bearings,sensors,trim etc,i think it will cost more over the next 50k miles and will be less atractive to sell later with even more milage

Edited by Rupert

Years ago i bought a 3 yr od diesel Orion at 100,000 miles, although the engine was great (I changed the oil every 6000 miles and cam belt every 24,000) the rest of the car was starting to suffer. Although it was only 7 years old when I got rid I had had to do quite a bit of repair to it.

High milers are ok if they are ex fleet or contract hire with a maintenace schedule.

As previously said low miles can have its own worries.

At least a diesel engine will last.

Cam belts,if they are due a change every 8 years or 100k then the 57 plate if its been done on schedule, has longer to next change than the 55 plate if its not been done...... Also what is her mileage high low or medium? As this will effect future value and costs.....

Edited by HDAV

What make of deisel and what engine size...has it a Timing chain or Belt ? Most small cars since the 55 plate are pretty reliable..technology has moved on a stack since you and I had our first car. If the 57 plate has been serviced regularly at 130k miles the engine is just about run in :lol:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

She's looking at a citroen C4 1.6 hdi, one is 57 plate with 132k on the clock, 1 owner, full service history, i'm assuming that the cambelt was changed at 90k but need to check, the 55 plate has around 55k on the clock, again with fsh, i would imagine that she will clock up around 8-10k a year, so not massive milage.

"assuming that the cambelt was changed at 90k " 3 x different engine codes for 1.6hdi but all share same change interval:

there you are then...probably wont have been changed, it's not something that will alter the decision to purchase, just a cost that needs to be considered!..cheers for that buddy.. :good:

But when it does snap and they do it's bye bye engine and generally car!

Cam belt at 150k then get a quote or 3 as that can be well over £500 nasty bill! Seems a long interval perhaps Citroen use better belts than GM/FIAT!

Edited by HDAV

Chatting to my local diesel agent about cam chains rather than cam belts.

He assured me that cam chain engines simply get noisier rather than the chain snapping.

That could be true but I've sen a lot of chain guides fail and the chain jump.

After 25 + years in R%D for Ford I'd go for the low mileage car. Just about every car and van for the last 20 years was designed to last 10 years or 100,000 miles, many last a lot more but things do start going wrong and or wear out. 1000 motorway miles puts a lot less wear on a vehicle than 500 city miles but I still go for the lower mileage one