Newbie Shotgun Questions

LondonLuke

Hi all

Been reading quite a lot over the last couple of days and answered some questions but I still have more - you all seem very welcoming so hope not offended by me asking so many!

I grew up shooting air rifles and recently have shot clays with a 12 bore and really enjoyed it - not been amazing or anything but really enjoyed it. I am not an overly extrovert person but a friend of mine has just moved back to the UK so now have someone else is keen - not sure I would ever go if no-one to go with!

I am keen to do things properly and know I want to do this long term - i.e. not keen to go and spend lots on coaching, gun hire etc. To this end I am wanting to be able to buy my gun to take to any lessons/shooting.

I understand I will need a shotgun licence, gun cabinet, shotgun to be in the position - understand this wont be cheap but happy to invest at this stage.

What I am not clear on is the shotgun certificate. I understand that I apply and it will likely take 8 weeks plus, and they will want to meet me. My questions are:

I am 26 and live in West London - will this go against me?

I am not keen to buy a gun cabinet and then be turned down for the certificate - do they need to see this at the interview?

On the assumption I get the certificate - how long does it last? Is it 12 months? i.e. £40/year?

Moving on from this I intend to start out shooting clays - I understand that if you can prove proficient then you are allowed to shoot on your own and just pay for clays?

The very long term plan - though I know this is probably difficult - would be to find land where you can turn up on an ad hoc basis and shoot a few pigeons (and if not have a nice walk!)

Apologies for the MASSIVE first post!

Look forward to speaking further with you all

Luke

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello mate - and welcome to shooting!

First of all, everyone is entitled to own a shotgun licence, so providing you haven't been in major trouble with the rozzers in the past, or had previous bouts of manic depression, you honestly shouldn't have any problems.

The bnest thing to do will be to discuss these concerns with your local Firearms Officer, and explain about the gun cabinet. But in all seriousness, if your past is clear, and you have a good reason for wanting to own a shotgun (like taking up clay shooting) you shouldn't be refused, so you'll only end up buying one anyway!!!

Licences don't last for a year - they last for ten or 15. I'm not entirely sure to be honest, and mine's locked away so I can't check right now!

And yes - once you have a licence, you can turn up at any public shooting ground and hit (or miss) some clays.

All the very best - and don't worry about it. Sure your application will go just fine mate :good:

Currently 5 year certs! £50 some photos and a referee you have known for 2 years personally, being 26 isn't an issue nor is being in London, coaching is a good investment but some grounds near London can be expensive better value may be had travelling a bit further

Hello mate - and welcome to shooting!

First of all, everyone is entitled to own a shotgun licence, so providing you haven't been in major trouble with the rozzers in the past, or had previous bouts of manic depression, you honestly shouldn't have any problems.

The bnest thing to do will be to discuss these concerns with your local Firearms Officer, and explain about the gun cabinet. But in all seriousness, if your past is clear, and you have a good reason for wanting to own a shotgun (like taking up clay shooting) you shouldn't be refused, so you'll only end up buying one anyway!!!

Licences don't last for a year - they last for ten or 15. I'm not entirely sure to be honest, and mine's locked away so I can't check right now!

And yes - once you have a licence, you can turn up at any public shooting ground and hit (or miss) some clays.

All the very best - and don't worry about it. Sure your application will go just fine mate :good:

Hi mate

Thank you very much for your reply and detailed info.

I think I will speak to them about the concern and then go from there - if they are insistent they want to see it then I will install prior to their visit.

Changing subject entirely - when it comes to guns it seems they vary from second hand guns at £250 to about £25000! I don't have huge amounts of cash (not good when it comes to shooting!) and would be happy to go second hand (on assumption it was safe). How much do you need to spend? Does it make a huge difference?

Long term I would love to find a field where I could take my own clay machine (guessing this must be cheapest option) but not going to be easy in London!!

Just been through the same mate, I think it's good that you ask questions, there are some really top blokes on this forum and have found them to be very helpful.

I actually fitted my cabinet the same day that I sent the application. Like Toombsy said, if you've been a good/ish lad then you should get it done as soon as you can really.

My FLO was a top bloke so don't be afraid to call him/her, or the office for advise.

IMO get the cabinet asap if you can afford it, it will only get things moving faster.

Good luck mate :good:

Currently 5 year certs! £50 some photos and a referee you have known for 2 years personally, being 26 isn't an issue nor is being in London, coaching is a good investment but some grounds near London can be expensive better value may be had travelling a bit further

Thanks for this - sounds like good advice. I will have to investigate, I would love to find someone who could teach me unofficially - does that sort of thing happen?

A sgc lasts for 5 years, when I applied for mine I had to prove I had experience, I got lessons and also went shooting with a lad I work with and that was fine.

Ok that sounds like it might be possible - hopefully if I call and check it out then I can see if I can get experience before the interview is booked.

Just been through the same mate, I think it's good that you ask questions, there are some really top blokes on this forum and have found them to be very helpful.

I actually fitted my cabinet the same day that I sent the application. Like Toombsy said, if you've been a good/ish lad then you should get it done as soon as you can really.

My FLO was a top bloke so don't be afraid to call him/her, or the office for advise.

IMO get the cabinet asap if you can afford it, it will only get things moving faster.

Good luck mate :good:

Glad the questions aren't too annoying! What I have read has been great, amazing how helpful everyone has been.

When it comes to the cabinet location, I live in a smallish flat, if I mount it in the corner of a wardrobe (fixed to wooden floorboard) will that be ok? Also I live in a rented flat, will that make any difference?

A friend and I are likely to both get guns at similar times and live close together - can we save cash and buy one cabinet in one of our houses and keep both guns there?

Get yourself a second hand 2-4 gun cabinet-there is quite often some for sale on this forum but ensure that it is "approved" by the police.Apply for your certificate once you have fitted the cabinet properly (local feo can advise)and dont forget to sort a referee who will vouch for you-you will also need 3 passport size photo's.While you are sorting the above you should visit your nearest clay ground as often as possible and join up if you can.Certificates last for 5 years and you can buy as many guns as you can store securely on your cert.Buying your first gun does'nt have to be expensive-you dont need a Perrazi to start with-a bog standard o/u 12 gauge choked 1/4 and 3/4 single trigger non-ejector can be picked up for around £100 and will out perform you for quite a while.Finding land to shoot vermin on is a different kettle of bananas and advice could run to several pages.Get to know as many shooters as you can and try to get invited out with an experienced gun-this is fast track learning.Once you have some basic skills you have something to offer landowners and should start to ask locally using friends as a go between or means of introduction.If you ask in the "shooting wanted" section and include your area and how far you can travel you may find someone on here willing to help-best of luck-Bruno.

Get yourself a second hand 2-4 gun cabinet-there is quite often some for sale on this forum but ensure that it is "approved" by the police.Apply for your certificate once you have fitted the cabinet properly (local feo can advise)and dont forget to sort a referee who will vouch for you-you will also need 3 passport size photo's.While you are sorting the above you should visit your nearest clay ground as often as possible and join up if you can.Certificates last for 5 years and you can buy as many guns as you can store securely on your cert.Buying your first gun does'nt have to be expensive-you dont need a Perrazi to start with-a bog standard o/u 12 gauge choked 1/4 and 3/4 single trigger non-ejector can be picked up for around £100 and will out perform you for quite a while.Finding land to shoot vermin on is a different kettle of bananas and advice could run to several pages.Get to know as many shooters as you can and try to get invited out with an experienced gun-this is fast track learning.Once you have some basic skills you have something to offer landowners and should start to ask locally using friends as a go between or means of introduction.If you ask in the "shooting wanted" section and include your area and how far you can travel you may find someone on here willing to help-best of luck-Bruno.

Hi Bruno

Thanks for this, that is very helpful. I will certainly investigate into cabinets and where I am going to put it!

A friend of mine who I went to school with is now a doctor, never been shooting, but will still be ok for a referee right? :S

Do you know where the best place to look is for guns like that? Funny you mention the non ejector - I assume having the carts eject just helps with the reloading rather than anything else?

Your doctor friend should be fine-good places to look for cheapo guns is-"Guntrader" or watch for them on this forum-you might even find a Baikal or cheap italian gun in your local dealers.Ejectors tend to add to the guns price and ,at your stage in the game,will add little to your success unless you go in for "team flushing" type events-even then you can do well without them-keep things simple for now.

Doctor would be a fine referee anyone who knows you personally( and is of good standing, but can't be paid for signing the form) I used a mates dad looking at guns is fun but ultimately pointless! If your ever near st James palace pop into the beretta gallery and William Evans for a drool! Or Hollands/purdeys the fit is more important than the name but a gun suitable for your first 6 lessons isn't necassarily the gun to use for the next few years.

Edited by HDAV

As you live in a rented flat, you may be wise to check with your landlord. There may be a clause in your rental agreement that prohibits the storage of firearms on the premises. I hope you'll be OK as once you start, clay shooting is a fantastic sport.

Kind Regards

Bob

As for coaching, go to any clay ground, there full of novices who will happily tell you where your going wrong when they can't shoot themselves. :huh: My advice fella if your serious is pay for a couple of lessons with a good coach who will start with the basics of gun fit and stance before moving on to mounting the gun, get the basics right and good results will follow. :good:

As you live in a rented flat, you may be wise to check with your landlord. There may be a clause in your rental agreement that prohibits the storage of firearms on the premises. I hope you'll be OK as once you start, clay shooting is a fantastic sport.

Kind Regards

Bob

I'd be a bit wary of that. A landlord, especially in London is quite likely to be ignorant of and possibly fearful of guns. It encourages the answer "no you can't" in a knee jerky kind of way. Provided you make good any rawlbolt holes etc if you move and have to remove the cabinet, then I'd be inclined not to tell them. You may not own the property but it's your home. You will be using your shotgun for recreation and to me your landlord would be no more justified in saying 'no shotgun' than saying 'no golf clubs'.

If in the unlikely event there is a legally enforceable clause in your tenancy agreement stipulating no guns, then the worst that could happen if he finds out and insists on compliance, is that you temporarily store them with an RFD or mate whilst you find a better place to live.

Welcome to the site and the world of shooting by the way :good:

I'd be a bit wary of that. A landlord, especially in London is quite likely to be ignorant of and possibly fearful of guns. It encourages the answer "no you can't" in a knee jerky kind of way. Provided you make good any rawlbolt holes etc if you move and have to remove the cabinet, then I'd be inclined not to tell them. You may not own the property but it's your home. You will be using your shotgun for recreation and to me your landlord would be no more justified in saying 'no shotgun' than saying 'no golf clubs'.

If in the unlikely event there is a legally enforceable clause in your tenancy agreement stipulating no guns, then the worst that could happen if he finds out and insists on compliance, is that you temporarily store them with an RFD or mate whilst you find a better place to live.

Welcome to the site and the world of shooting by the way :good:

I agree there was a case i think where a housing association tried to enforce this idea, they lost. Having a gun cabinet in a property is the same as putting up some shelves. Make good when you leave......

However if you share with others the FEO may insist cabinet is kept in your room or if any of your flatmates have a serious record they may not grant it on that basis (worst case) they may grant you a cert but not allow you keep guns on premises.

Hi all

Thank you for all your help, it is incredibly interesting to hear all your thoughts and ideas.

I have more questions...sorry!

- What is the difference/advantages/disadvantages of over and under vs side by side?

- What is choke? Should I be worried about it?

- Has anyone here ever shot at Bisley?

- How much is gun insurance? To shoot it not keep it at my house!

- I note that someone has suggested Gun Trader as a possible place to buy a gun but I am concerned about buying a second hand gun non trade. Is it "safe" to buy second hand guns?

Thank you for all your help and sorry for all the questions!!!

Hi there,

If you are happy to get over to North London on a Sunday morning soon, I will be happy to go through the basics with you, safety, gun mount and fit etc.

Drop me a PM if you are interested and we can sort out a date.

(Herts massive mobile and out of county grooming section) :lol:

I will loan you a gun for the day as well

Edited by bakerboy

Hi there,

If you are happy to get over to North London on a Sunday morning soon, I will be happy to go through the basics with you, safety, gun mount and fit etc.

Drop me a PM if you are interested and we can sort out a date.

(Herts massive mobile and out of county grooming section) :lol:

I will loan you a gun for the day as well

Sounds amazing, will PM now.