Hmr moderator

I have recently been looking for a moderator for my .17hmr and I came across an lei at my local rfd. It seemed quite small and at £130 it's not cheap so I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these and if so, are they worth the money? I have been using an atec modular can that works really well but I have been looking for a dedicated .17 moddy. Any info on these would be great as the smaller size would be a good asset. I would just like to know how effective they are.

Not used the LEI but there is an article in Shooting UK I seem to recall, they tested a load of 17HMR mods, do a quick Google. My guess is that you wont notice a difference, if you want to pay extra for a small mod then I guess it is worth it. I use a DM80 dedicated 17HMR, quite chunky but very light and easy to strip and clean.

Honestly if i were you i would spend between £35-£40 and get a SAK. Any decrease in decibels that a more expensive moderator may offer will not be noticeable to the human ear. SAK, easily stripped for cleaning with good back up from Jackson rifles and fairly light. This topic has been covered several times, doing a search on here will throw up plenty of advice :good:

ATB,

Pat

Try this: http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/369774/Ten_of_the_best_17HMR_moderators.html

I used to use the Ase Utra on my HMR - good mod.

One of the Shooting Times reviews actually had a table of ratings and costs for mods, not sure if it was .22lr or HMR, I used to have a link but that probably went with my last Hard Disc

I do seem to remember that the SAK and SM11 came out as better sound reduction than the likes of the Whisper and one or two others...... can anyone find the Shooting Times review WITH the table............

Cheers :good:

One of the Shooting Times reviews actually had a table of ratings and costs for mods, not sure if it was .22lr or HMR, I used to have a link but that probably went with my last Hard Disc

I do seem to remember that the SAK and SM11 came out as better sound reduction than the likes of the Whisper and one or two others...... can anyone find the Shooting Times review WITH the table............

Cheers :good:

That review seems to have disappeared from the website, but the HMR test remains. The sound reductions they measured are;

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

SM11 28.6dB

LEI 27.5dB.

A difference of 3dB is twice as loud, so you can see that the SM11 outperforms some others by a large margin. It was the same on the 22 test, and I bought one based on that test.

Unfortunately, some HMR users with short barrels have found that the SM11 doesn't last long.

That review seems to have disappeared from the website, but the HMR test remains. The sound reductions they measured are;

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

SM11 28.6dB

LEI 27.5dB.

A difference of 3dB is twice as loud, so you can see that the SM11 outperforms some others by a large margin. It was the same on the 22 test, and I bought one based on that test.

Unfortunately, some HMR users with short barrels have found that the SM11 doesn't last long.

Cheers....

....and some HMR users with the LONG barrel (like me) have found out the SM11 doesn't last long, but Edgars have at least given me a replacement SM1116 which has been loaded with ALL metal baffles (unlike most SM1116 which I understand only have a few).

Edited by Dekers

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

SM11 28.6dB

LEI 27.5dB.

Yeh, this one, it says at the bottom of the article ............I hope the results (see the table below) ..................... thats unfortunte, it was rather useful!

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/121761/Sound_moderators_for_22_rimfires.html

• 1 month later...