Racing Pigeons

lurcherboy

I recon we have all done this come on what is the difference between a feral and a racing pigeon when it is flying it is only the conition and the leg rings when on the ground that tells them apart it is just one more risk, a Perigrin is another. Did you notice the badge it looks a bit like one i have just got in the post.

I would think that nearly everyone on here has shot something they shouldn't have at some point, I know I have.

Out on the foreshore a couple of seasons ago just as the light was fading a flight of 4 birds was coming straight towards me. Convinced they were Canada's I mounted swung through pulled the trigger and **** it it was a brent goose. I very nearly fired again for a left and right.

It tasted OK though.

And before you all start yes I know they are protected and I know that I should have identified it before firing but in the half light I was convinced it had a white sweatband on it's head. It was only when they passed me that I saw what they were.

One my very first wildfowling trip about 20 years ago I was sent in a creek very nervous about what I could shoot at, and whether I would hit anything, when there was a barrage of shots and the only thing I could see was a lone duck flying down the creek. After 3 people firing 6 shots at it and it was still flying I mounted on it and then noticed it was a shellduck. I didn't shoot at it but the others came in for plenty of stick.

Confession over.

Cheers

Martin

I would think that nearly everyone on here has shot something they shouldn't have at some point, I know I have.

Out on the foreshore a couple of seasons ago just as the light was fading a flight of 4 birds was coming straight towards me. Convinced they were Canada's I mounted swung through pulled the trigger and **** it it was a brent goose. I very nearly fired again for a left and right.

It tasted OK though.

And before you all start yes I know they are protected and I know that I should have identified it before firing but in the half light I was convinced it had a white sweatband on it's head. It was only when they passed me that I saw what they were.

One my very first wildfowling trip about 20 years ago I was sent in a creek very nervous about what I could shoot at, and whether I would hit anything, when there was a barrage of shots and the only thing I could see was a lone duck flying down the creek. After 3 people firing 6 shots at it and it was still flying I mounted on it and then noticed it was a shellduck. I didn't shoot at it but the others came in for plenty of stick.

Confession over.

Cheers

Martin

I have added that to my list Martin for future use :)

LB

Well my old man's raced pigeons all his life! and his thoughts on me blasting them in a field ?

" THEY SHOULD BE SHOT IF THEY DEICIDED TO JOIN THE FERAL COMMUNITY"

That said when his champion bird " Stormin Normin" went missing that had won him at least £6,000 in prize money I think that statement would not apply !

"Note: wild-living, former racing and homing pigeons often fly with feral pigeons but these birds are strictly protected. Whilst they normally have leg rings to show their ownership, identification in the field can be difficult so, if in doubt, do not shoot."

Taken from BASC http://www.basc.org.uk/content/woodpigeonpractice

UPDATE

French owner turns out to be a expat and was grateful to know the bird wasn't shot :lol: I told him it was a feline related incident thus reinforcing bad feeling towards cats :good:

The **** who shot it isn't shooting on my permission anymore or elsewhere when I have finished spreading the word.

Be careful chaps, better to miss one than get the wrong quarry.

LB

UPDATE

French owner turns out to be a expat and was grateful to know the bird wasn't shot :lol: I told him it was a feline related incident thus reinforcing bad feeling towards cats :good:

The **** who shot it isn't shooting on my permission anymore or elsewhere when I have finished spreading the word.

LB

so LB what do i do with all the feline rings i have refering to that add/comercial i sent you, :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

French owner turns out to be a expat and was grateful to know the bird wasn't shot :oops: I told him it was a feline related incident thus reinforcing bad feeling towards cats :good:

LB

so LB what do i do with all the feline rings i have refering to that add/comercial i sent you, :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Martin

Well I guess you have enough now to make a nice feature to mount on your wall. If not, why not?

LB :blush:

Some years ago, a friend rushed in to tell me he had just shot a deer. I heard about the difficult stalk, along a ditch, in the snow, the shot, (12 bore!!) and the fact that he had sent the antlers to a taxidermist, for mounting. It turned out he had shot a Soay sheep!!!! As a final balls up the taxidermist had mounted the horns (antlers??) upside down!! This same bloke called young hares levericks and slices of bacon were rations, not rashers.

Some years ago, a friend rushed in to tell me he had just shot a deer. I heard about the difficult stalk, along a ditch, in the snow, the shot, (12 bore!!) and the fact that he had sent the antlers to a taxidermist, for mounting. It turned out he had shot a Soay sheep!!!! As a final balls up the taxidermist had mounted the horns (antlers??) upside down!! This same bloke called young hares levericks and slices of bacon were rations, not rashers.

:good: Some people are hopeless.

I take it he aint your regular shooting partner Invector?

LB

Feral - An animal or plant that has escaped from domestication and returned, partly or wholly, to its wild state.

The definition of feral from wikipaedia.

I don't see many (when I'm shooting) but if they were coming into my pattern, over crops I was protecting, they would end up the same way as the woodies.......missed :good::oops: No, but seriously, I am well informed that it's not an offence as long as you stay within the confines of the Open General Licences which categorically state Feral Pigeon (Columbus Livia) as a quarry species (but curiously not Rock Dove (Columbus Livia)).

Right as Axe would say "I'll go get my tin hat on"

P03

Lurcherboy,

This took place a long time ago, and he never was my choice of shooting partner. He got a job on a large local estate, in forestry, and is still there. He beats for the shoot, but I don't think he shoots these days. Probably because there are no Soay sheep on the estate!!