Not firing second barrel

lxtav

At the clay ground today and the gun was working fine using the carts I had (28g kent velocity). Was discussing carts with one of the guys who was shooting as I find the Kent kick like a mule and I don't really like them but it was all the shop had at the time. He let me try a couple of 21g carts he had and the first barrel fired OK but the second wouldn't fire and it was if the safety was on, which it wasn't. I had to break the gun, put the cart in the bottom barrell and then it fired OK. Went back to the 28g carts and it was back to normal.

I believe that the gun needs some recoil for it to switch over to the second barrel so I'm assuming the 21g carts didn't have enough kick to switch it over to the second barrel. Was wondering if this was the problem and if it could be solved by a trip to the gunsmith for a service as its a 10 year old Lanber O/U Sport Delux that has had very little use and I don't think it has had a service in its life.

You assume correctly. It's a quick fix at the gunsmith to adjust the inertia block. Same problem happened to a lot of guns quite a few years ago when registered events had cartridge loads reduced from 32gm to 28gm and then again from 28gm to 24gm for the Olympic disciplines.

its the inertia block.

just go for a heavier load,= more recall to move block.

That doesn't solve the issue with the gun....... no reason the recoil from a 21g shouldn't work (unless the mechanism is knackered or has been butchered previously) If you bought the gun from a dealer take it back! If you bought privately find a recommended gunsmith locally Chances are the action has never been stripped and is full of dried up oil and crud.... with that cleaned out and everything checked you should be able to fire any load...

You can buy a spray designed to move the debris that will be in the action. That might be worth a go for a fiver rather than the gunsmith. Think its possible to install some kind of cam to make the trigger mechanical, I know this is possible with a beretta so would assume could be done on a lanber

Did nothing different to any other time. Going to take the stock off and see what crud could be in the action as just pulled out a couple of very small oily feathers from the under the cocking leavers under the barrels (think thats what they are) so chances are its needing a good clean.

Silly question - but did you release the trigger finger pressure correctly with the lighter load, if you did not this could be the problem.

I seen people this before with like loads to see if it's the gun fire 1 21g cart then if the second does not fire remove yourright hand from the stock then put it back on to see if it fires it stops any pressure remaining on the trigger. Of the gun fires the second time you didn't fully realese the trigger.

Also try firing the gun the other way around instead of bottom then top try top then bottom if that works you need a services.

After 10 year I would get the gun serviced anyway.

When second barrell didn't fire finger was taken off the trigger and then we tried to fire the gun again before we opened it and it did nothing it felt like the safety was on as the trigger didn't move. After finding the two small feathers in the mechanism it suggest to me it needs a good clean and is full of crud. Can't remember the make of the 21g carts but they had no noticable recoil at all which was good compared to the Kent velocity I was using which would trip anything no matter how full of crud it was.

When second barrell didn't fire finger was taken off the trigger and then we tried to fire the gun again before we opened it and it did nothing it felt like the safety was on as the trigger didn't move. After finding the two small feathers in the mechanism it suggest to me it needs a good clean and is full of crud. Can't remember the make of the 21g carts but they had no noticable recoil at all which was good compared to the Kent velocity I was using which would trip anything no matter how full of crud it was.

It is no good taking the finger off the trigger late you need to release straight away for inertia to work - I initially had the same challenge with my Beretta with 21g shells. You need to squeeze and release properly straight away to do any good.