Quite at the bird feeder ?

Salop Matt

Okay folks the other halfs farther has just told me that the last 6 months + there bird feeders have been quite and rarely visited apart from the odd pigeon. last year they had loads of small birds visiting and they are missing seeing them now and the food is going untouched for days. There isnt anything obvious such as large population of buzzards,cats or corvids. How ever there are quite a few pigeons about and if there is any bird activity about at the feeders the pigeons do seem to push the little birds out, but i cant see that being the sole reason for the low number of feeding and visiting birds.

Does anyone have any ideas why it may be that there is such low numbers of the song birds ? Anything that we should look out for ?

Cheers

Matt

Glad to read that I am not the only person to have very little activity on the bird feeders,not had to fill the peanut or wild bird seed feeders since mid December,last year they would have been filled three times by now,could it be the mild winter?we do not have a problem with cats or hawks and come to think of it only seen one squirrel that enjoyed his "last supper".

Green and other finch numbers hit hard with Tricho and Coccidiosis...which is spread by contact with other birds and exacerbated by contaminated and dirty feeders.

If the birds havent visited for a couple of weeks make sure the feeders are emptied and well cleaned.

Mouldy peanuts are the worst.

This season in my Garden all bird numbers are down but theres plenty in the feilds and hedgerows, and we have been getting the Scandinavian Thrushes to the bird table in the bad weather.

Aso like Pigeons on rape there is so much choice for our native birds these days as we spent Millions on wild bird food each year.

Our garden (Surrey Hills area) has been like Picadilly Circus. On Friday morning there were 8 blackbirds at the same time! However, a neighbour about 100 yds away has had hardly anything.

We're feeding peanuts and mixed seeds in the feeders and mixed seed, left over seeded bread, chopped bacon rind, and the odd left over boiled spud (thrushes just chomp through them) on the ground. The only trouble this year is it's costing me a small fortune at a kilo of nuts and a kilo of seed every two days :blink:

Been really busy round mine, yesterday we had goldfinches, chaffinches, sparrows, starlings, doves, a couple of woodies, robin, dunock, blackbirds and great tits

I do spoil them a bit with Johnson premium mix with suet, chopped peanuts, dried mealworms and nyger seeds. I also back onto farmland so that might be reason for lots of them. I do get problems with crows, jackdaws and the odd magpie but I chase them away when ever I see them, might have to buy an air rifle as the local rookery is getting a bit large.

Our garden (Surrey Hills area) has been like Picadilly Circus. On Friday morning there were 8 blackbirds at the same time! However, a neighbour about 100 yds away has had hardly anything.

We're feeding peanuts and mixed seeds in the feeders and mixed seed, left over seeded bread, chopped bacon rind, and the odd left over boiled spud (thrushes just chomp through them) on the ground. The only trouble this year is it's costing me a small fortune at a kilo of nuts and a kilo of seed every two days :blink:

we just buy a sack of pigeon condi ..at £9 a 25kg sack

• 1 month later...

Peanuts and fat blocks are still getting a hammering, we don't put out seed as the birds make a right mess and I don't want to attract vermin. However, we do have two 'tame' woodies that have taken to hoovering up the bits that are dropped.

Luckily we have lots of sparrows, blackbirds, greenfinches, robins, pidgeons, piedwagtail & MAGPIES!!

All the feeders are busy, whether fatballs, niger seed, nuts or wild seed. Great to see

But, How do I get the bullying magpies to 'go away'? They just fly down, scare the others then move on!

Perhaps a poggy will do. Trouble is them disappearing by the time I can get up and open the door! Doh....

I was hoping someone had an ifea of what to put down, like a plastic heron to keep the heron away from the fish - NOT. Beautiful bird, especially close up but it has a better appetite then me :-)

Edited by grasscutter

Really mild winter has meant that birds haven't been under so much pressure to visit feeders where cats (amoungst many others) are a real danger.Bung your feeders thru the dishwasher once a week and feed Sunflower hearts-cut away any low branches that may hide our feline friends and provide water. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Because they are more intelligent than pigeons and, unlike pigeons, don't hang around to be shot

I put out egg shells for the birds to peck away at at this time of year and they tend to bring in the mags but you have to move them as they soon get wise. I had a wrens nest smashed by them last year and I operate a zero tolerance on the them now.