forgot to take safety off

evo

how many times will i have a perfect shot only to leave my safety catch on,,can this bl***y thing be removed :hmm: :hmm: or should i just keep on p*****g myself off every time it happens,,you wait and you wait then the birds appear and in the excitement you forget to flick the safety,,lets be honest we have all done it :yes: :yes: or have we :hmm: :hmm: ok you wont own up to it never mind :no: :no: :no: :no:

Some safety catches only prevent the trigger being pulled, others prevent the internal hammers from falling. An auto safety catch is essential for shooting in the field, pushing it off becomes automatic on mounting the gun. If you forget to take the safety off to shoot, could you equally forget to apply it after re-loading?

Blackpowder

I have all sorts of issues like that. My combi gun is the absolute best for it. Worst I ever got was sat at dusk, staring at a Roe that was staring back at me. Up comes the gun, pulled trigger - ****, the safety! Click off safety, line up again and click.... Wrong trigger. By this point the Deer has had enough and runs off laughing at how stupid I was being that day. :oops::blush:

Auto safe does my head in. Yes I may forget to apply a manual when I reload, but then I wouldn't be reloading if I didn't want to shoot something! They should be called a dangerous not a safety - the number of guns I've had pointed at me by amateurs only to be told "it's ok, the safety is on".

An empty gun is a safe gun - I see no need for a catch which may or may not work when it matters. If it's empty it aint going off, simple as that.

how many times will i have a perfect shot only to leave my safety catch on,,can this bl***y thing be removed :hmm: :hmm: or should i just keep on p*****g myself off every time it happens,,you wait and you wait then the birds appear and in the excitement you forget to flick the safety,,lets be honest we have all done it :yes: :yes: or have we :hmm: :hmm: ok you wont own up to it never mind :no: :no: :no: :no:

It has never happened to me as i live in the far more intelligent part of wirral :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

like the devil it has but i won't admit it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's far better not to use a safety catch at all. It is just some mechanical thing to stop it firing, and as everybody should be aware mechanical things can and do fail.

With that in mind a gun with the safety catch on is just as dangerous as one without, and has to be pointed in a safe direction at all times. So what's the point in having it fitted as it is daft to trust it?

I'm not even sure how to use the safety on one of my guns, never used it on any of them. The only time a gun is safe is if the bolt is back, rifle, semi, pump whatever or if the gun is broken. As far as I'm concerned any bolt forward or a closed gun is ready to fire, a piece of metal that should stop the trigger being pulled isn't to be trusted. Things can fail!