chokes

rrw

Guest cookoff013

i used to use 1/2and 3/4 but then changed to full/full. i got a briley set. if i miss it aint the chokes fault.

i could compromise with 3/4 and 7/8. but really, its not going to matter.

3/8 and 1/2 for me at the moment and concentrate more on clearing my head of chokes, cartridge choice etc etc and focus on improving my shooting as opposed to what choke I have in. The rest are at home.

Just another thing to do your head in when in the stand and as far as I can see the difference is marginal on most birds presented.

I never think about my chokes now, they stay fairly tight for sporting (3/4 and 1/2 Optima Teague Extended and I don’t have to question if there will be any holes in my pattern at 60 yards with a plastic wad – there won’t be).

I think on getting the gun mount perfect, focusing on the speed, distance and trajectory of the clay and dusting it. I often swap the barrel selector to challenge myself, following this, I often forget to change it back after the stand and shoot the next 5 stands without realising...

You miss in feet, not inches! Chokes make very little difference - If you were going to hit a clay at 40 yards with quarter you would still get it with full. It's only if you chip it with the more open choke you will miss with the tighter.

In my book a chip isn't a kill, it allows me to see where I hit the clay so I can make minor adjustments to kill it properly.

Start 1/2 + 1/4 and when you feel a little more confident, move to 3/4 + 1/2. It just helps with the confidence a little.

I don't want confidence, I want kills on my card and more open chokes generally give the majority of sporting shooters that edge, OK there won't be balls of soot hanging in the air but there might be an extra 2 or 3 on the card. Last years PW Charity Shoot was won (yet again) by Catamong with a 93 or 4 and he had forgotten to change his chokes since a round of skeet. He thought he was shooting 1/4 and 3/8 but it was only when he had finished did he realise he had actually shot all the way round with skeet & 1/4.

That's what I'd recommend for a newby, if it's a multichoke gun and you come across that rare bird these days at a sporting shoot, a long edge on target you can always tighten up a bit for that stand. I will concede that it would appear that the majority of the very best sporting shooters shoot very tight chokes but they are literally in a league of there own.

Mr Potter

I don't want confidence, I want kills on my card and more open chokes generally give the majority of sporting shooters that edge, OK there won't be balls of soot hanging in the air but there might be an extra 2 or 3 on the card. Last years PW Charity Shoot was won (yet again) by Catamong with a 93 or 4 and he had forgotten to change his chokes since a round of skeet. He thought he was shooting 1/4 and 3/8 but it was only when he had finished did he realise he had actually shot all the way round with skeet & 1/4.

That's what I'd recommend for a newby, if it's a multichoke gun and you come across that rare bird these days at a sporting shoot, a long edge on target you can always tighten up a bit for that stand. I will concede that it would appear that the majority of the very best sporting shooters shoot very tight chokes but they are literally in a league of there own.

Mr Potter

correct mr potter, mr digweed uses full & full

But even he uses more open choke for closer targets :yes:

True story :good:

He was on my squad at the English Open at Hodnet a couple of years ago and I was shocked to see him struggling on a close rabbit.

He was using tight chokes then. He doesn't do that now :lol: