.22 hornet, some advice please

Ey up pigeonwatchers.

I was wondering if anyone out there is currently using a .22 hornet and how do they rate it or does anyone have any insight into this calibre. I am trying to work out a comparison in performance with the .17hmr.

Accuracy at 100yds (yeah,yeah, i know the 17 can key hole at 1000yds)

Noise levels (of course its going to be moderated)

Reloading is not a problem so not worried re cost of ammo compared to hmr.

Is there a v max bullet available in this calibre.

Million dollar question anyone got one in the north west i could have a go with please?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading between the lines, you already know the answer and have almost made up your mind! Stay with it, you're right!

Simply put, you can't compare anything with something that produces 250% more power. Whatever the HMR does, the Hornet does it better.

Now taking the dog on the beach. :lol:

And whatever a hornet does better a .223 does even better. Simply of course being a center fire it puts out more power and can be reloaded for to make very accurate. But you can't run it on factory ammo and really bunnies round our way aren't that hard to kill. As a pure fox gun I like to have more clout and not to be on the edge at 200 yards. :yes:

And whatever a hornet does better a .223 does even better. Simply of course being a center fire it puts out more power and can be reloaded for to make very accurate. But you can't run it on factory ammo and really bunnies round our way aren't that hard to kill. As a pure fox gun I like to have more clout and not to be on the edge at 200 yards. :yes:

al4x, I've asked everwhere it seems and got nowhere, perhaps you could help. Do you happen to know, or can even give a precision guesswork idea based on your experience what would be the energy requirement to kill a fox with a round to the engine room - let's ignore all the iffs and buts that anyone/everyone will come up with and let's just say a 50 gn expanding bullet that has struck home and not ricocheted of a rib or whatever? Obviously, I can appreciate there may be a variable with different bullet types - soft point or ballistic tip, etc, but as a general rule of thumb would suffice.

Cheers

Indeed will suffice is the word, its certain occasions when it would let you down. One fox that springs to mind is one that had done a partridge pen the day before and I caught it leaving one the following day. Casually walking away and didn't stop till the texas heart shot opened it up. Thats what you can do when you have more than will suffice. On one hand you're saying a vast amount more energy than is required is fine on bunnies but then just enough works on foxes. Indeed it does if you restrict your shots and never hit one too far back. Its a fun caliber rather than one thats especially good at a particular job.

Indeed will suffice is the word, its certain occasions when it would let you down. One fox that springs to mind is one that had done a partridge pen the day before and I caught it leaving one the following day. Casually walking away and didn't stop till the texas heart shot opened it up. Thats what you can do when you have more than will suffice. On one hand you're saying a vast amount more energy than is required is fine on bunnies but then just enough works on foxes. Indeed it does if you restrict your shots and never hit one too far back. Its a fun caliber rather than one thats especially good at a particular job.

Thanks for that, guess I'll have to keep looking. I was tempted to go with the OGW but everyone poo pooed that so I'm none the wiser.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I have a 243 for deer and serious fox work, my shooting buddy has a .223

What i was hoping to find was a rifle for long range (lamp shy) rabbit work 100-150yds with the occasional fox in noise sensitive areas where the .243 would be a hindrance.

The Hornet will fill the above remit :good:

i have no expierence of one my self,but i know someone who has a hornet and he really likes it.

You wouldn't load to the following for long range rabbit but for fox, if you run this through a ballistics programme (and even allow for various discepencies), you can understand why he does. 0.224 calibre, 50gn with 0.214 BC (checked and found valid) at 2850 ft/sec. Now, this is not a 223, 22-250 or a 243 but neither is it a fun calibre: It does a job within its parameters and does it well.

I used a hornet for years in derbyshire shooting both foxes and rabbits.I found it a excellent calibre not to noisy[more of a bang than a crack] but could still take a fox upto about 120yards and spot on for long range rabbits,I have even been known to take it the the rifle range as its as good as anything else at 100yards

The only thing a larger case will give over the Hornet is greater range. Seen plenty a super fast bullet burst on a leg, all my Hornet loads have passed through leg bone and penertrate the chest.

Being less intense it will stay together a little better with "normal" bullets.

I love all cartridges because I love shooting but what you describe your needs are Hornet is a peach :good:

Oh by the way, key holing is usualy a term given to an unstablised bullet hitting the target side on, thus looking like a "key hole" :good:

U

The only thing a larger case will give over the Hornet is greater range. Seen plenty a super fast bullet burst on a leg, all my Hornet loads have passed through leg bone and penertrate the chest.

Being less intense it will stay together a little better with "normal" bullets.

I love all cartridges because I love shooting but what you describe your needs are Hornet is a peach :good:

Oh by the way, key holing is usualy a term given to an unstablised bullet hitting the target side on, thus looking like a "key hole" :good:

U

Great stuff, thanks for all the comments gents.

Learn something new every day, i though keyholing was a tiny group :blush:

And the .243 does even better again :rolleyes: Thing is you just do not understand this subject yet, when you do you will feel a bit of a fool about such silly past comments like this

Ey up pigeonwatchers.

I was wondering if anyone out there is currently using a .22 hornet and how do they rate it or does anyone have any insight into this calibre. I am trying to work out a comparison in performance with the .17hmr.

Accuracy at 100yds (yeah,yeah, i know the 17 can key hole at 1000yds)

Noise levels (of course its going to be moderated)

Reloading is not a problem so not worried re cost of ammo compared to hmr.

Is there a v max bullet available in this calibre.

Million dollar question anyone got one in the north west i could have a go with please?

Firstly the 35 v-max is available though dont bother it offers little over the HMR other than energy. Using the higher BC heavier bullets is better they might start off 200fps slower or less if you dont handload but shoot flatter further and with less wind.

It gives around half the windage of a HMR or way better dependant on range compared obviously. Talking top of the head if your HMR is 4" at 100 expect the Hornet to be 2" or less (thats somewere about 10mph f.v)

Drop? well it is everything the HMR was first billed as 200yds is not streaching things

Mine moderated is quieter than the HMR was when also moderated (difference has a lot to do with being able to safely use a c/f dedicated moddy though)

Have a go? well there are legal issues surounding using anothers gun and you will be limited to ground that i actually own rather than have easy access to which is only set up for 50yds for safety reasons. If you have a solution to this get in touch. Have you an FAC for any rifle?

The biggest issue with the Hornet is a lot judge it without ever having used it. Balistically speaking you can play at bigger is better for ever on and on though at the end of the day all you are getting is a bigger bang, more recoil and a higher cost both in powder burnt and barrel life.

Firstly the 35 v-max is available though dont bother it offers little over the HMR other than energy. Using the higher BC heavier bullets is better they might start off 200fps slower or less if you dont handload but shoot flatter further and with less wind.

It gives around half the windage of a HMR or way better dependant on range compared obviously. Talking top of the head if your HMR is 4" at 100 expect the Hornet to be 2" or less (thats somewere about 10mph f.v)

Drop? well it is everything the HMR was first billed as 200yds is not streaching things

Mine moderated is quieter than the HMR was when also moderated (difference has a lot to do with being able to safely use a c/f dedicated moddy though)

Have a go? well there are legal issues surounding using anothers gun and you will be limited to ground that i actually own rather than have easy access to which is only set up for 50yds for safety reasons. If you have a solution to this get in touch. Have you an FAC for any rifle?

The biggest issue with the Hornet is a lot judge it without ever having used it. Balistically speaking you can play at bigger is better for ever on and on though at the end of the day all you are getting is a bigger bang, more recoil and a higher cost both in powder burnt and barrel life.

Great stuff kent, thanks. I have learned enough under supervision to safely follow a recipe and assemble rounds for my .243 that shoot very well. However i would be the first to admit that the technical side of ballistics i have never had explained to me. Sorry to put wear and tear on your keyboard but could you explain how higher B.C. (is this ballistic co efficient? i.e. how well it flies through the air?) and heavier bullets shoot flatter? Heavier bullets not being as affected by the wind makes sense however is this not at the cost of a more pronounced trajectory?

re drop, what does your rifle and load do between say 50 and 150yds? what is your preferred load?

A comparable or quieter result than the HMR sounds ideal.

Alas no i do not have an FAC for any rifle. It was my understanding that under the estate rule. i could borrow another FAC holders rifle and use it in their presence. I will be contacting BASC for clarification on this matter.

Re judging the hornet. i am a firm believer in getting experienced peoples opinions who have actually used the rifle. I understand that the hornet may fill a niche type of scenario but that is what i want. Thanks to yours and the other gents posts who own them is sounds like the rifle that i am lokking for :good:

Great stuff kent, thanks. I have learned enough under supervision to safely follow a recipe and assemble rounds for my .243 that shoot very well. However i would be the first to admit that the technical side of ballistics i have never had explained to me. Sorry to put wear and tear on your keyboard but could you explain how higher B.C. (is this ballistic co efficient? i.e. how well it flies through the air?) and heavier bullets shoot flatter? Heavier bullets not being as affected by the wind makes sense however is this not at the cost of a more pronounced trajectory? Higher BC meand they hold onto velocity better muzzle velocity is all well and good but it needs retaining

re drop, what does your rifle and load do between say 50 and 150yds? what is your preferred load? Effectively point and shoot, a lot depends on which range you zero it and what peak trajectory you can handle

A comparable or quieter result than the HMR sounds ideal. and it is

Alas no i do not have an FAC for any rifle. It was my understanding that under the estate rule. i could borrow another FAC holders rifle and use it in their presence. I will be contacting BASC for clarification on this matter. But you have an FAC for the .243? Estate rifle only applies to land owned by the cert holder i think

Re judging the hornet. i am a firm believer in getting experienced peoples opinions who have actually used the rifle. I understand that the hornet may fill a niche type of scenario but that is what i want. Thanks to yours and the other gents posts who own them is sounds like the rifle that i am lokking for :good:

Unfotunatly the Internet is full of 12yr olds and walts, who can mislead the unwarey glad to help

And the .243 does even better again :rolleyes: Thing is you just do not understand this subject yet, when you do you will feel a bit of a fool about such silly past comments like this

Rather than replying in the manner of your username you could also accept some don't see a center fire as necessary for bunnies. Apart from the agro of having to reload for a rabbit gun there is a good reason they aren't a popular choice :yes:

As I only shoot rabbits and Foxes, I would have to say if I was restricted to one gun it would be the .22 Hornet.

As it happens I'm not restricted, so have a .223 as well, never use it but I do have it.

The hornet does it all for me, never even seen a fox on my shoot more 200 yards away, and they drop very nicely at that range.

Apart from the agro of having to reload for a rabbit gun there is a good reason they aren't a popular choice :yes:

Nope they don't seem to be as popular as rimfires, so what is this good reason you speak of ?

Neil. :)

Unfotunatly the Internet is full of 12yr olds and walts, who can mislead the unwarey glad to help

many thanks for your help, Yes i have on my FAC my CZ.243, sako .22 rimfire, and a condition to borrow my shooting buddies .17hmr.

about to delve into wikipedia regarding ballistic coefficient, If i am not back in an hour bring me a coffee HA HA