Firearms licence complaint

Davva

We all know there are delays with the issuing/renewing of licences at the moment - Has anyone actually made a formal complaint and made any progress because of it?

I don't want to waste their/my time as every call/letter slows down the application processing.....

Edited by Davva

What, specifically, is your complaint?

Told licence application would be 4-6 weeks, after that time told it would be another 4 weeks or so more..... No reply to my email, don't answer the phone very often, finally got through and was told I'd wait at least another 2 or 3 months!!!!!!!!

Just wondering if someone else has had success speeding things up!

Edited by Davva

I don't *think* they have a target to get applications granted so if they take 2 years then not sure there's much you can do. I know most forces [quite rightly] prioritise renewals and variations over new applications.

If you have a specific need then you could try to explain to them why. They have a lot of discretion. I'm not sure I would want to be getting known as a troublemaker at this stage. Just be patient like everyone else. If your booked stalk is rapidly approaching put your case and see what they can do.

I'm not sure I would want to be getting known as a troublemaker at this stage.

This was my thought as well.

Would have been nice to have been told 6 months from day one without sifting through the post everyday for months, just for disappointment. Surely, they know how many people have licences, their expiry dates, and from renewal invitations the expected workload coming in for each month??

I just feel sorry for the people who are having to send their guns away for storage or face criminal charges because of a mis-calculation of staff/workload.

I suppose what you don't know is how many variations are going in or if staff are being laid off or just ill.

With the threat of fees rising my wife got on and got her FAC granted and I put in a variation that I wouldn't have done yet! I suspect many people had the same idea.

:o why are they taking so long?? Chase it up weekly :good:

But every phone call I make takes a pen off the paper and a hand off the keyboard which delays everyone!!!!

Maybe I should just forget about it......... on the bright side, my gun budget gets bigger every month!! :lol:

Still waiting for my renewal to turn up, posted it 1 week after the reminder came through my current cert expired on 12 feb and im still waiting after numerous phone calls to the FEO telling him i have farmers screaming at me to shoot crows/pigeons.keeps telling me it will be with you this week but never turns up, getting sick of being fobbed off, now think a phone call to BASC might be the answer

It took 9 weeks for gloucester do do a variation. i had to have a patch of land checked as well.

Farmer sent his in 1 day after me for variation but no land check needed. I phoned and spoke to them every week after 3 weeks. i ran out of rounds for two rifles and i could not shoot them until ticket came back.

My ticket came back one week before farmers. not bad considering they did say 4 days. :yp:

Still waiting for my renewal to turn up, posted it 1 week after the reminder came through my current cert expired on 12 feb and im still waiting after numerous phone calls to the FEO telling him i have farmers screaming at me to shoot crows/pigeons.keeps telling me it will be with you this week but never turns up, getting sick of being fobbed off, now think a phone call to BASC might be the answer

Can you not find a local member on here that will buy them for you? you don`t need a cert to own them.

weeing in the wind springs to mind, making a complaint against the police will have less than zero effect.

:hmm::hmm:

I have straightened my FEO out on several occasions, I have taught him some Law and also helped other people with issues.

Your response is NOT my experience, talk to, and be reasonable with your region and things can be achieved!

:good::yes::yes:

Phone calls get ignored and forgotten!

Write to them recorded delivery, (some will take email..Just as good, they have it in writing and email is accepted by the Courts), pointing out how long they have had your details and when your certificate expires, ask for a New Certificate or a Temporary Certificate!

Easy!

• 3 weeks later...

I rang again today, as requested last time I called, after 14 weeks waiting, and apparently I am on the top of the pile...

(The actual top, next one to go through) :good: :good: :good:

This apparently means I will receive my certificate in the next 2/3 weeks, unless lots more renewals come in before it.... :lol:

hmmmm

I sent in for a variation and it took 6 months.....and then got declined....

Sent in yesterday for a different variation and had a call today saying I need to send my cert in for it...said I was running low on ammo...he advised to stock up. :no::sly: said can only buy 200 at a time and that will last about 2 weeks....said nothing he could do or advise about the time :sly:

:hmm::hmm:

I have straightened my FEO out on several occasions, I have taught him some Law and also helped other people with issues.

Your response is NOT my experience, talk to, and be reasonable with your region and things can be achieved!

:good::yes::yes:

you do realize i`m talking about Kent here, they are quoting 4-5 months for a variation and taking 4-5 months for a variation, there is no negotiating end of story.