help tips need

manning

hi can any one help have hed my shotgun for about 2 m now and got loads of land to shoot rape peas just bein drilled live in wisbech got decoys and net all works well got loads of pigeon in just cant kill many my gun is a Baikal u/o 12g full choke and 3/4 choke i shoot about one in 20 i shoot size 6 in 32gram load bein to the clay yard 5 time shoot 39 out of 75 most of the time

hi can any one help have hed my shotgun for about 2 m now and got loads of land to shoot rape peas just bein drilled live in wisbech got decoys and net all works well got loads of pigeon in just cant kill many my gun is a Baikal u/o 12g full choke and 3/4 choke i shoot about one in 20 i shoot size 6 in 32gram load bein to the clay yard 5 time shoot 39 out of 75 most of the time

Have a word with Fenny

at wot range are you shooting at, are you letting the pigeons decoy in or shooting at distance ,if your shooting at distance try letting the birds come in just before they land they almost appear stil then shoot when just increase the distance ,im allways telling my brother to sit on his hands cant resist trying 70 yarders every now and then he hits one but if you want to bag a few birds let them come in atleast untill you get good

It could be several things , perhaps you are not shooting at "shootable birds" it could be that your range estimation is not good and they are just too far away, could be that your decoy pattern is not conductive to the pigeon presenting themselves in the best position to be shot or even that your trying to shoot them too close.

Then it could be poor gunfit and your not shooting where your looking or and no offence intended your just not a great shot in which case lots of practice will improve things but there are people who never get to grips with it.

Using ¾ and full, you will need to be very precise with the amount of lead you will have to give the birds. Most people use ¼ and half as a general rule of thumb.

Shooting is a lot about confidence and if you are missing a lot of birds it will take the edge off right away. I have seen people have a bad day at clay grounds only to borrow a mates gun and not miss a thing.

Both guns might have been choked the same but the shooter had lost his confidence in his self and his gun.

Having lessons might help, however a gun with ¼ & ½ 32gram 6 combo will put you in the ball park, personally I would find a gun with the options to change chokes make sure it fits you and then you will being starting off on the right footing.

As you are hitting over 50% of the clays, I would say you have worked out a measured lead on the clays as they are coming from the same direction every time.

The clays don’t speed up, slow down, and jink left then right!

A bit less choke and a bit more swing through will make your days decoying a lot more fun

TEH

thanks will try that wot distance sud i set them up at at the moment im seting up about 55yds mabe more

Hi,

There is no miracle cure. To become proficient, it's lots of little things all put together over time. Where to start? Try counting - as opposed to guessing - 25 paces from your hide and drop a decoy. Take 10 more and drop another. Now chuck the rest of the decoys in between those first two.

You say your choke is 3/4 by full. Is that the nominal measurement of the barrel, or was stamped as such when the gun was new but may have been altered or have you pattern tested it? Have a think about getting it altered so it actually shoots, say, 1/4 by 3/4 - some may say more open, fine by me, but you can't replace what's gone - easy does it.

Now, where's that coach?

Careful...using different cartridges between clays and pigeon can make a difference...eg I use Eley Blues for clays...yes they are slower but I know what lead to give them and it becomes a natural skill. Switch to faster for pigeon and you might miss infront.

:good:

i agree with wymberley and robin128. pattern testing the gun is a good place to start. also pacing the distance you are shooting at. i realised this with my air rifle shooting, 40 yds can be closer or further than you think. i would deffo pattern the gun though 3/4 and full maybe a tighter pattern than you think with no 6.

i put the pattern only about 20yds from hide, ,if i fancy doing longer distance shots i just shoot earlier ,i use a 1/4 choke in a semi auto and seems to work hit more then i miss

to makes things a little easier try and set the hide up so when the birds are coming in they are coming right at you saves worrying to much about lead thats somthing that will come with practice,not always possible but will defo help you bag a few birds and boost your convidence

As you are hitting approximately 50% of the clays you are shooting at ,I would agree you are probably misreading distance. Simply by placing your furthest decoys at 40 meters, and only shooting at birds within that boundary, you should soon learn to judge distance for yourself.