Youngster Training

cwb4321

i dont normally post on things like this but i very much doubt a BASC coach could 'train' a youngster up to be a very good clay shot. basic instructon, safety and a good grounding yes.

ill get my tin hat ready. :oops:

Totally agree. :yes:

Whilst I think the BASC coaches play a huge roll in teaching the fundamentals of the sport, I honestly think you have to have at least "walked the walk". To qualify as a BASC coach you don't have to be a particulary good shot. A point which is vital in order to bring someone on to a high standard.

If there are targets you can't read, how are you supposed to instruct someone else how to shoot it. Seems all too obvious to me.

But this is just my opinion and I'm sure plenty will disagree. I'll stick to taking advice from the guys and girls that have been to the top. Much like our very own Beretta

Edited by canthitathing

i dont normally post on things like this but i very much doubt a BASC coach could 'train' a youngster up to be a very good clay shot. basic instructon, safety and a good grounding yes.

ill get my tin hat ready. :oops:

I think the same could be said of some people who have passed the CPSA coaching courses too.

Most of the ones I've met...

I think the same could be said of some people who have passed the CPSA coaching courses too.

Most of the ones I've met...

It is worth me carrying on with the CPSA course? (just passed the BASC course) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can read a target and Coach/instruct/direct someone to hit it, better than I can do it for myself :hmm:???

But I would agree with listening and learning from those that have walked the walk, every shooting ground is full of coaches :lol: :lol:

It could of course be a bit like consultants, those that can do, those that can't teach :exclamation:

There are good and bad in both camps o course, but I see a lot of people who get a couple of badges on their vest and suddenly they know the INS and outs of every aspect of sporting and can coach AAA shooters how to break more clays. All on the back of a 3 day course.

There are some times when the only way of knowing is if you have been there and experienced it first hand.

I have to agree with Brian ( Beretta) the Association coaching courses are geared to teaching novices to shoot safely with a little success.

If anyone wants to learn to shoot clays proficiently they need to go to grounds where they hold registered shoots and watch and learn. Check out who is doing the winning and ask if maybe you could shadow them or shoot with them, would they be prepared to give you advice or any recommendations. Richard Faulds is in your neck of the woods Owls Lodge Shooting he may be prepared to help.

Basc have only one level " BASC" coach.

The CPSA have intructor level and then Coaching Level and then discipline specific. For discipline specific you have I believe to be A or B class (not 100% sure on that statement tin hat coming out)

There is no substitute for experience actually shooting, and competition, or at coaching you do not become an instructor/coach overnight just because you have a badge or two.

Edited by bakerboy

I think there's a big difference between an instructor and a coach.

When I first started shooting I had a few lessons with a CPSA level 1 instructor. He was very good at what he did, taught me the basics and was very safety concious. I can't really fault him in any way, and although he was a pretty good shot himself he was in no way a coach.

In my mind to be a coach you have to be able to take someone forward in the sport, with all the practical and mental challenges along the way. You can only do that if you've experienced it yourself, especially the mental part of the game.

I think there's a big difference between an instructor and a coach.

When I first started shooting I had a few lessons with a CPSA level 1 instructor. He was very good at what he did, taught me the basics and was very safety concious. I can't really fault him in any way, and although he was a pretty good shot himself he was in no way a coach.

In my mind to be a coach you have to be able to take someone forward in the sport, with all the practical and mental challenges along the way. You can only do that if you've experienced it yourself, especially the mental part of the game.

Can't argue with that :good: