night vision copy

stubby

so on a £600 unit, it did'nt come with a recordable device fitted :hmm:

glad Im tight and going down the budget route

so far, £52 for screen,camera,leads,16mm lens,if I order the china recorder would still only come to around £97 :yes:

What NV equipment gives you a recordable device as standard?

Good luck with your project, I hope it all works out. Might even get the same as a spare. I'll await your results first though. :good:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to record it why not just buy a second hand Sony camcorder and use that instead? I use an old one as a nv add on but I bought it cheap as it won't record (tenner from fleabay) , but 50 quid would probably get you one that records - plus the lenses and resolution will be much better and no need for battery leads etc.

What NV equipment gives you a recordable device as standard?

suppose you have a point, I'll shut up :lol:

If you want to record it why not just buy a second hand Sony camcorder and use that instead? I use an old one as a nv add on but I bought it cheap as it won't record (tenner from fleabay) , but 50 quid would probably get you one that records - plus the lenses and resolution will be much better and no need for battery leads etc.

good idea, Ive got a cam corder, I'll check it out :good:

I think it has to be a Sony with the nightshot feature (0 lux), although there may be other makes that do a similar thing.

I was thinking just as a recording device, not to view, therefore no need to be nightshot, surely it would record whatever you saw on the lcd screen

has anyone tried modifiying one of these? as it has everything you could want in one package - night camera, screen, recorder.

as the link provided, I read up/search on this one, think once modded the picture is upside down, and the recording capacity is very low, but I suppose each to there own

Deal Xtreme sell the JXD units, you just have to be a little patient with the shipping. I did a search by 'AV IN' and it turned up a few.

Whilst I heartily admire the efforts to make your own NV set-up from scratch I would just like to say this in defence of the NiteSite product:

1. It looks good and works well, meaning I don't have to spend countless evenings with a soldering iron, in my shed, knocking up something that may be better but more likely inferior when I could be out shooting.

2. Being a Teuton I like things to look good atop my rifle, setting out for the night with something gaffa taped onto a bit of plywood with random wires hanging off isn't my bag at all.

3. You pay for the CE certification, the customer support (in my experience this is top notch), the warranty and returns guarantee and the fact that it is already contained within a nice bit of custom moulded placcy (see above point).

4. You can't expect them (NS) to give them away, there are staff costs, premises overheads, publicity, insurances, the above mentioned warranties plus customer services costs to cover. It's a business, the idea is you make a bit of profit.

5. Does your unit include an IR lamp built in, if it does good luck matching the compact and effective IR that the NS unit boasts. Pretty much anyone can slap a Lightforce 140 and IR filter on, but it's not exactly compact is it?

6. Many folk haven't the time nor the inclination to trawl numerous forum posts, order random parts, assemble said parts in shed, test parts and realise that they're pants, read more posts, buy more parts, go back and reassemble, test (repeat as many times as necessary). For these folk the NS unit fits the bill perfectly. It's half the cost of a Pulsar (which, let's face it is ****), off-the-shelf and does the business. At my daily rate a NS unit has cost me three days money, I'd spend about four times as long creating something that looked or worked remotely as well as the NS unit does. In fact, that's cobblers; I'd spend four times as long creating something that looked, well, cobblers!

Please don't take this as knocking your project, I'm not, I wish you every success and laud you for sharing the info with others, it's a noble thing to do and exactly what these sorts of forums are for. Just please don't be so hasty to criticise others that have already spent the time and effort testing, manufacturing, certifying and promoting a good product at a reasonable cost. There are inumerable things in everyday life that cost pence to manufacture but cost many pounds.

Edited by mick miller

Deal Xtreme sell the JXD units, you just have to be a little patient with the shipping. I did a search by 'AV IN' and it turned up a few.

Whilst I heartily admire the efforts to make your own NV set-up from scratch I would just like to say this in defence of the NiteSite product:

1. It looks good and works well, meaning I don't have to spend countless evenings with a soldering iron, in my shed, knocking up something that may be better but more likely inferior when I could be out shooting.

2. Being a Teuton I like things to look good atop my rifle, setting out for the night with something gaffa taped onto a bit of plywood with random wires hanging off isn't my bag at all.

3. You pay for the CE certification, the customer support (in my experience this is top notch), the warranty and returns guarantee and the fact that it is already contained within a nice bit of custom moulded placcy (see above point).

4. You can't expect them (NS) to give them away, there are staff costs, premises overheads, publicity, insurances, the above mentioned warranties plus customer services costs to cover. It's a business, the idea is you make a bit of profit.

5. Does your unit include an IR lamp built in, if it does good luck matching the compact and effective IR that the NS unit boasts. Pretty much anyone can slap a Lightforce 140 and IR filter on, but it's not exactly compact is it?

6. Many folk haven't the time nor the inclination to trawl numerous forum posts, order random parts, assemble said parts in shed, test parts and realise that they're pants, read more posts, buy more parts, go back and reassemble, test (repeat as many times as necessary). For these folk the NS unit fits the bill perfectly. It's half the cost of a Pulsar (which, let's face it is ****), off-the-shelf and does the business. At my daily rate a NS unit has cost me three days money, I'd spend about four times as long creating something that looked or worked remotely as well as the NS unit does. In fact, that's cobblers; I'd spend four times as long creating something that looked, well, cobblers!

Please don't take this as knocking your project, I'm not, I wish you every success and laud you for sharing the info with others, it's a noble thing to do and exactly what these sorts of forums are for. Just please don't be so hasty to criticise others that have already spent the time and effort testing, manufacturing, certifying and promoting a good product at a reasonable cost. There are inumerable things in everyday life that cost pence to manufacture but cost many pounds.

I thoughly agree with you that any buisness is out there to make money, and anyone in a position to go out and splash the cash should and can do so,

this is purely budget night vision, yes it may not look as pretty, but for me, a £52 outlay for something that will give the same results is right up my street, its a gimmick that will be used occassionally, not everytime, I still enjoy lamp, £52 I can justify, £400 plus I cant, even though I could afford it on 3 days money, cant see the point of telling people that

The thing that puts me off buying a shop bought NS50/200 is that they appear to need modifying from the off to get the best out of them. New lighter Li battery, new DSA, more sturdy scope clamp etc. Seems you are paying for a lot of bits that are going straight into the bin then having to buy upgraded ones.

Just the battery and the DSA, neither necessary, both a distinct improvement.

The purpose of saying it's 3 days money is to illustrate that I can spend many, many days to bodge something that may work or just splash the cash and have it working for me out of the box and work those hours instead. I didn't intend it as a brag and god knows that that kind of sum is pretty average really these days, I'm not on superstar money just an average wage for this day and age (freelance also means not everyday is a work day!!). Apologies if it came across in that way, it really wasn't intended too.

I will say that thus far my tally with the NS is somewhere over 100 rabbits, most of those from places that had become lamp shy and difficult to shoot. That means that the unit has only cost me £450 plus the DSA and that sum is diminishing every time I use it.

But good luck with the budget version, I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs and progresses. Also, a big thanks for sharing the information.

Edited by mick miller

You're also missing the point that it is enjoyable creating something for yourself. I made my own NV as an experiment, and it works perfectly - it's not pretty, but neither is the pile of dead bunnies it produces!

I have also made knives instead of buying them off the shelf, I cook decent meals for my family instead of ready meals and I have designed and made many, many other things that I could have otherwise bought because it is more creative, stimulating and enjoyable than shopping.

It's not the creating, I totally understand that, it's the constant knocking of an off-the-shelf product as too pricey or a rip-off that gets to me. In fairness to the OP he doesn't do that once in this thread and it's my error to post my thoughts in this thread as it could read as though I'm having a dig, which I'm not. I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with and for a change someone is willing to share the information for those wanting to have a go at this themselves.

But I do read comments on other threads and forums that say that the folks that released the NiteSite are 'ripping people off' or that you can 'knock this up for under a £100', which also is totally missing the point.

I admit that I need to go reel my neck in for a while and reserve my replies for those specific comments that suggest that there is some form of daylight robbery taking place. Apologies for any unintended upset.

Edited by mick miller

as an afterthought, steve b wales commented on what night vision can be bought with recording device already attached, which my answer was none, but a home made device can, magwitch has used a multi-media lcd screen, therefore recording is possible, and although I don't know the exact amount, he did tell me his cost around £130 ish to make

I too found recordable lcd screens for around £65, but Im not a lover of ordering from china, seems they account for a lot of lost in post stuff

If you find anything on Deal Extreme I can recommend them, I used them for CREE torches, pressure switches and the like. Delivery isn't quick but they are reliable (and its free post generally).

thanks for the heads up on them, look like they sell some decent bits :good:

Signed for? It's a pain in the rear. Happens all the time to me for bits that could have easily popped through the letterbox. I've taken to laminating a two sided notice that I hang off the door, one side says leave with neighbour and house number, the other says please ring, knock and be patient - somebody is in and at home all day (that's to stop the dreaded card coming through when you're in but the postie can't be bothered to deliver or ring the bell, that's happened a number of times).