night vision copy

stubby

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to make the same set up, quick question... How close do you put the lense of the camera to the lense of the scope?

Regards

Willow32

you need a space of around 35mm between back of scope and camera lens, you'll see once you have everything hooked up and a picture on the screen, you'll be able to push/pull camera/tube to get best picture, I then added an internal spacer/pipe so it can be pushed straight on without fiddling for the correct distance

look closely at around 20 seconds, you'll see my internal spacer inside my pipe connector,

internal spacer

also my camera comes witha 7.5 power supply can i use a 9 volt battery or do i need to step it down ?

You need a 1/3" CCD board camera such as is sold on ebay as CCTV cameras and a 12volt 3.5" LCD car reversing monitor to match plus a few other bits and pieces.

Using anything that isn't 12volts will just make life complicated for no gain.

All the info and more is on airgunforum.co.uk, join and fill your boots.

Built mine works well in daylight but struggling at night definitely a nv camera I need to investigate further

unless you want to invest in some sort of laser, try IR sheet in front of a normal rifle lamp, mine works brilliant with that set up

• 2 months later...

Next question,

Could these be put together with some kind of magnifying lens to make a spotter.

You could use a monocular? http://www.goodfrom.com/uk/20x50-hunting-spoting-spotting-sport-monocular-scope.html or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Praktica-12x32-Monocular-B00382-623827/dp/B004G6VRL0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

Interested on how people got on and if they have any footage they can show.

Well I know I've come late to the party but here are a couple of my efforts.

The first is using a cheap Lidl special offer night scope and videoed with an old battered Sony camcorder. There is an AV jack on the scope and the quality is quite good. It was only dusk when the video was shot but it works well with an IR lamp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/allan1066/nv2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/allan1066/nv1-1.jpg

This clip is with a phone camera - not tried it at night yet but it's very handy as it's all self contained, camera, screen and recording all in one.

ok I bought all the bits as your list,

the camera and screen cables are all female,

do I just cut them off and solder them?

If it's the one we've all been building you want a female to female coupler for the signal and a splitter for the power from the battery to the monitor and to the camera.

Cutting them off and soldering is neater but there's no going back then.

• 1 month later...

Well I don't know how everyone else got on but I didn't do too well!

I read this and all the other forums on PW. I then joined the airgunners forum and read all their stuff.

Got a CCTV camera as used by others, 16 mm lense, and a rearview LCD screen as used by the airgun man.

All arrived and I coupled it together and found that the screen kept blowing its 5 amp fuse. Then it blew the 5 amp fuse on my Cluson 12v 7 amp battery pack as well. So I got another LCD screen of a different but similar make.

By the time this arrived I had found that my battery pack blew its fuse whenever I plugged its normal shooting light in and switched on - so that seems to be b*******. (Never had a problem with it before and the battery is a fairly new one).

So, carefully following the instructions in the LCD screen packet, I wired this one in to the Landrover 12v system that it is designed to operate with. All the wiring into the box immediately melted and filled the back of the truck with smoke!

Voltage right - polarity right - wiring to LCD screen of very small diameter. ?????

I notice that no person has commented that they now have their systems up and running - Am I the only person with problems?

Well I don't know how everyone else got on but I didn't do too well!

I read this and all the other forums on PW. I then joined the airgunners forum and read all their stuff.

Got a CCTV camera as used by others, 16 mm lense, and a rearview LCD screen as used by the airgun man.

All arrived and I coupled it together and found that the screen kept blowing its 5 amp fuse. Then it blew the 5 amp fuse on my Cluson 12v 7 amp battery pack as well. So I got another LCD screen of a different but similar make.

By the time this arrived I had found that my battery pack blew its fuse whenever I plugged its normal shooting light in and switched on - so that seems to be b*******. (Never had a problem with it before and the battery is a fairly new one).

So, carefully following the instructions in the LCD screen packet, I wired this one in to the Landrover 12v system that it is designed to operate with. All the wiring into the box immediately melted and filled the back of the truck with smoke!

Voltage right - polarity right - wiring to LCD screen of very small diameter. ?????

I notice that no person has commented that they now have their systems up and running - Am I the only person with problems?

A man with lots of bad luck by the sound of it hope nothing else happenss mate