night vision copy

stubby

just to let those that pm'd me reguarding my comments on a DIY night vision unit simular to those currently on the market

Ive ordered the bits and pieces via evil bay last night, 7-10 days delivery, if when they arrive and with a bit of tinkering they work, I'll post the results up with links to the items etc

no point saying what bits they are as yet, as I would'ent want others ordering the items, if it ends up not working

but so far total cost around £35 :D

I will be using either the car cigerette lighter or a 12v battery(already have) as my power source, most of those interested will prob have a 12v lamp battery as well

and my chinese immatation lightforce with a piece of IR filter/perspex, bought last year(again evil bay £5)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to let those that pm'd me reguarding my comments on a DIY night vision unit simular to those currently on the market

Ive ordered the bits and pieces via evil bay last night, 7-10 days delivery, if when they arrive and with a bit of tinkering they work, I'll post the results up with links to the items etc

no point saying what bits they are as yet, as I would'ent want others ordering the items, if it ends up not working

but so far total cost around £35 :D

I will be using either the car cigerette lighter or a 12v battery(already have) as my power source, most of those interested will prob have a 12v lamp battery as well

and my chinese immatation lightforce with a piece of IR filter/perspex, bought last year(again evil bay £5)

Ill be interested to see how it turn's out.

Keep us updated :good:

wouldn't it of been better to wait 7 to 10 dayst to post this until you had the bits "Oh well i will sit and wiat not as though i have got anything better to do" NOT :lol:

at least stubby is giving his time and effort for the members and the forum.. :good: one other well known forum i use its all top secret and no one shares any info.. :rolleyes:

well done stubby. :yes:

well, I havent got my bits delivered yet, but it seems my idea has been thought of already, a quick google/utube search on homemade night vision, gave me pages of stuff to read through, so I may as well give you guys the links, as they have proved that it works,

my only difference is that rather than purchasing an IR laser, I using my lamp with a piece of IR filter over it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFRA-RED-FILTER-NIGHT-VISION-IR-NV-lamp-infrared-/200739071662?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2ebcfb26ae#ht_2910wt_905

this is all stuff from an airgun forum, but the guy gives a full run down on items purchased and numbers from evil bay

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/night-vision-optics/121801-nearly-finnished-my-nv.html

probably like me you'll have bits and pieces laying around, so you wont need to buy everything, my first route is how cheap can a workable NV set up be made, as I think £400-£600 from an idea that was sourced from members like us is a bit of a rip off, ok you get a nice padded box, and nice new looking fittings, but if the same can be made for around the £100, thats a big mark up they are making

my first thoughts were to use a cctv wrist monitor, used by cctv techs, just stick it in evil bay search, china is where most come from, starting around £60 upwards, they have recording built in, but after much thought I decieded on the car reversing screen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120874172484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4095wt_1344

simply because of price, and the fact that its a uk supplier

and this is the camera I opted for

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320835413438?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2784wt_1110

mainly because theres clips on utube of this camera being used, and night time stuff looked a good image, although the 6 led's will be disconected

you'd need to splice the power wire from camera and monitor into one plug to make it neater, or leave as is and have more wires, like with everything, once you have a system that works, you can refine it to look better, shorten all the wiring so you aint got metres of wires, try and connect all the power leads into one, then either use your lamp battery or car cigerette lighter socket

have fun...

Edited by stubby

have you an idea how youre going to mount the camera to the rear of the scope ?

already done :good:

I had an old flip up scope cover, drilled a hole in the center of flip up same size as camera lens, some double sided cushion foam around the hole, camera stuck straight to that with lens through hole, then wrapped all in black electrical tape, the cover slips on or off as needed, lens can easily be adjusted too

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

Edited by stubby

at least stubby is giving his time and effort for the members and the forum.. :good: one other well known forum i use its all top secret and no one shares any info.. :rolleyes:

well done stubby. :yes:

You will find those other forums HAVE given the details - umpteen times. There seems to be a never ending stream of people asking for the 'shopping list' or claiming it's all secret... but they are just too effin idle to read back a few pages of thread titles.

Why should a few helpfull members keep rewriting whats already there for the searching.

End of sermon for today. :yes:

Why should a few helpfull members keep rewriting whats already there for the searching.

If we all behaved like that, i reckon most forums would grind to a halt, at the least we should direct newer members to the original locations (or if it's not appeared on our own forum - then list it here).

That's a fair point Nick, but when the same old chestnut like .22 Vs .17 for example comes as a new post every three or four days there comes a time when the same members just give up. I'm not knocking the thread, nor the help being offered here.

But when the topic is night vision, and has been amply discussed in a night vision sub section, and umpteen threads and even more umpteen posts have been made about diy night vision everytime someone new enters the Nv forum saying someone should post up the DIY night vision item list details... again like they did last week and the week before recurring. It's all in one section and not hard to find.

I'm going to stop here because it looks like I'm sulking which I'm not. I'm merely correcting a claim that "another forum" keeps the details secret. I know I have linked new subsection Nv virgins to the digital shopping list several times - as have others. I wont list the items here as it somehow feels like copying someone elses work and taking credit for it myself.

There are forums with night vision sub forums, and there are even dedicated night vision forums surprisingly. :)

Edited by Dave-G

Ok, here's the thread that has the "secret" shopping list in it that has been linked to in umpteen other threads on the night vision sub forum that wern't difficult to find. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?572349-So-What-s-the-answer

Search it for "Watec, or Watec 902H" and you'll have enough reading material to make your eyes sting. Many of the Watec posts will also refer to that list and more recent findings and successes. Other search words would be: digital, diy night vision, homebrew, home made, digital home brew, LCD, monitor, DVR, IR illuminator, IR laser, lens, dsa etc. Have a pot of coffee ready and a pen and paper to write down all those "secrets" that nobody's willing to reveal. :oops:

as dave-g has stated, theres tons of stuff out there if people just tried googling a few words

funnily enough I thought my idea was a new one, until stumbling across a nv forum and utube clips, the day after ordering my bits

theres a few familiar bits between the two, but my idea is based on being a tight **** :lol:

so far, screen £23, camera £11, last year I bought a IR filter perspex sheet to fit my lamp, everything else is odd's and sodd's from the shed, if it works, this is budget night vision, the other places quote £100 plus to get it all sorted

alot of people are opting for a small 2" lcd screen, a few laughed at the 4.5" screen I opted for, but my reason is simple.

most lamping is done from the car, with my good mrs being my picker upper, now when we lamp, see can easily see where the shot rabbit was shot, but with NV, she would be a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, this screen need'nt be mounted on the scope, I can put it on the middle of dashboard, allowing everyone within the car, to see the shot, rather than sitting in darkness wondering.... well thats my idea anyway

IMAG0215.jpg

out of the box

IMAG0217.jpg

this was part of an old push fit lamp

IMAG0220.jpg

trimmed and bolted to lcd screen

IMAG0222.jpg

fitted to rifle, or can be dash mounted

still have to add the ir lamp

nick, yes you adjust the lens to get best picture, same as using binoculars

ok, got it all up and running, and will need to order a 16mm lens, as using the stock lens you get a little circle in center of lcd screen with blacl all around, looking at pictures/video's from other diy'ers who switched to 16mm, there picture fills the whole screen

ok, got it all up and running, and will need to order a 16mm lens, as using the stock lens you get a little circle in center of lcd screen with blacl all around, looking at pictures/video's from other diy'ers who switched to 16mm, there picture fills the whole screen

Hi Stubby not a bad bit of kit for the money mate. what sort of distance can you id things at

another one that has not read the above post, :lol: I NEED TO FIT A 16MM LENSE

I am in the process of doing this aswell, hopefully my 16mm lens will arrive today so I can use it tonight. You gave me an idea. :good: I had already bought the 2" screen to mount to my scope but I liked the idea of having a screen mounted on the dash so I have also bought the 4.4" screen to attach to the dash and a splitter for the video signal. It all works set up in the house (minus the 16mm lens) so as I am lamping looking at the screen on the scope anyone else in the car can watch the larger screen on the dash.

I am in the process of doing this aswell, hopefully my 16mm lens will arrive today so I can use it tonight. You gave me an idea. :good: I had already bought the 2" screen to mount to my scope but I liked the idea of having a screen mounted on the dash so I have also bought the 4.4" screen to attach to the dash and a splitter for the video signal. It all works set up in the house (minus the 16mm lens) so as I am lamping looking at the screen on the scope anyone else in the car can watch the larger screen on the dash.

I'm thinking of doing similar with my NiteSite NS200, but will use a recording device instead of just a monitor. That way, I can video what I see,and others can also view what I'm looking at, and if I don't want to keep it, I can just delete it. I'm not sure what device I could use though. Any thoughts?

Steve.

I'm thinking of doing similar with my NiteSite NS200, but will use a recording device instead of just a monitor. That way, I can video what I see,others can also view what I'm looing at, and if I don't want to keep it, I can just delete it. I'm not sure what device I could use though. Any thoughts?

Steve.

How about something like this 230774748397 its a bit expensive as my whold setup cost less than £60 but if you are having a bad night you could always watch the telly on it. Im sure there are cheaper options though.

I'm thinking of doing similar with my NiteSite NS200, but will use a recording device instead of just a monitor. That way, I can video what I see,others can also view what I'm looing at, and if I don't want to keep it, I can just delete it. I'm not sure what device I could use though. Any thoughts?

Steve.

so on a £600 unit, it did'nt come with a recordable device fitted :hmm:

glad Im tight and going down the budget route

so far, £52 for screen,camera,leads,16mm lens,if I order the china recorder would still only come to around £97 :yes: