The Weekends Bucks

sako751sg

Rain was off at daylight yesterday so took Rab and the rifle for a spin to check the buck situation.Dull but pretty mild so thought there could be one or two showing.Five minutes from the hoose and on the first farm a buck and a doe were grazing along the ditch side so i carried on oot of sight,parked up and walked 100ish yards in dead ground,and after seeing them still there had a wee crawl of 20ish to get clear for a chap.They were only aboot 80 yards away and non the wiser and on the shot the buck,still in velvet,dropped straight away.A quick gralloch and a 15kg beast in the bag.The next 2 places showed nothing but the 3rd had 12 roe,5 bucks,in view but only two were stalkable and they were together.Again i parked up,and had to walk aboot 200 yards totally oot of view,with the next 100 being trickier but they were pretty switched off and the trickiest bit was getting a clear shot with the bipod down due to the fund bushes and the uneven ground.After 4 different firing positions were sacked i got crawled through some cover and felt fine for the chap but by this time both bucks were lying down.One was clear for a headshot so at around the 100 yards i squeezed and the crack confirmed he was oot,and by the time i had fed another pill the other lad was standing perfect broadside and the pull resulted in an instant drop too.By this time the rain had started heavyish so the gralloch was done and two of 12 and 13 kg were in the boot.The next stop showed the big buck i had been seeing the last few days along with two smaller lads both in velvet.He was pretty spot on for the shot but i ****** about too long and he doesnt hang about for a second chance but that had been 4 times id been there and everytime he would make an appearance so thought it was a matter of time and planned another visit this morning.

js46_bigbuck002.jpg

js46_bigbuck003.jpg

js46_bigbuck004.jpg

Too much bevvy last night so didnt manage this morning so took Mac and Rab after supper time hoping they would come out in the evening.Had sat for an hour and a half when we spotted 4 roe in front of us only 50 yards away.We had been expecting them to make an appearance from the wood but they must having been in the valley already lying up in the cover.We got into a better position for a scope and counted 8 roe,but no sign of the big lad.Went back out of view for 15 mins,and then when we popped up for a look again he was the first one in view,and only around 100 yards so set up the sticks and got set for the chap whilst Mac took a couple of pics.It took quite a while till he presented broadside,but when he did the Vmax found the mark with a solid thump,although i knew by his reaction it was low.He turned and ran doonhill and out of sight,and i told Mac we would wait a 10 mins before going down just incase and walked a wee bit to the side to get a better look down in the valley when i saw him lying pegged out.He had only gone another 10 yards from when we lost sight,making about 30 in all before falling.The heart had been nipped but with the doonward shot i could have held a couple of inches higher.A cracking heed,very thick with big pearling and will be interesting to see the head weight after i clean the morn and the body weight is 19.5kg.A cracking end to the weekend and roll on tomorrow.

js46_bigbuck005.jpg

js46_bigbuck010.jpg

js46_bigbuck020.jpg

js46_bigbuck019.jpg

js46_bigbuck014.jpg

js46_bigbuck016.jpg

js46_bigbuck017.jpg

fair play :good: :good: :good: to ya there some head of roe up your end.

is it a bit late for them still to be in velvet???

Ta fella.Great numbers and was oot this morning and could have had another 3 but rain was heavy so just recced but saw one that looks a cracker too but nay sure of thickness.The yearlings and some of the immature will mostly still be in velvet for a while yet,and ive seen me shoot matures into May and just clean but this year they are earlier.

Well done lads, plenty of bucks about, thats a good start :good:

Ta fella and a cracking start right enough.Where the 2 came from i know of another 11 on it the now and its only 140 acres so plenty more hopefully.

Well done Dave - I always enjoy your write-ups :good:

I've never had the oportunity to shoot deer over the last 55 years of my shooting life - and have always regretted it.

The lad still looks as keen as ever.

Cheers fella.A great quarry and love the roe stalking above anything really.Fine to be oot first/last thing and you see and hear so much more.If your ever up this way your more than welcome to have a crack.

Good effort mate nice to see your still getting out for a shot

Having a wee spell off this month so if the weather improves hopefully will get a few.Are you getting among them yourself or still on the foxes?

Well done Dave, ye'll need a bigger freezer :lol:

Cheers Tam.Freezers aye full so everything to the dealer the now.If your wanting any and up this way gies a shout.

Well done Dave.Some Cracking Bucks there mate and some nice pics too with Mac and Rab.Great!

Ta Mark.Macs the cameraman and hes no bad.Plenty of bucks showing but the weather hasnt been that great but still picking away.

Nice write up,and some great photos.you won't be short of a bit of meat for a while. :good:

Cheers fella.Think a few pics tell a good story.Plenty top scoff and if anyones up this way and after some gies a bell.

Enjoyed reading that. Cracking pictures. Good looking dog too. :good:

Ta fella.Dogs a wee cracker and good for the roe too.

Nice read :good:

Ta fella.

The big buck looks to have some weight to it?

get him measured but remember OT to cut the skull till afterwards.

670g but will lose some drying but maybe a gold as the volume might be above average.

Excellent Dave!! Some good eating there, looks like that big buck had been doing some fighting---perhaps another large buck lurks about?

Cheers Tim.Superb eating but these are away to the dealer as the freezer is always full.The bucks brow tine actually looked as though it was damaged in the frost but there was another biggish buck with him a aboot a week ago but i havent seen him since so they could easily have been having a wee spar.

You are very lucky with your stalking ground!

Nice bucks too BTW

Very very lucky fella and seem never to make a dent in them year to year as the void is always filled.Have 30-40 bucks a year but im lucky if i shoot half a dozen does a year and it seems to do the trick.

Another cracking read Dave , you seem to have plenty bucks about, Im still to get off the mark .

Cheers fella.No shortage showing and some good looking heads that could be due to the mild winter and good eating.Before i had so much places i maybe had half a dozen a year and they meant lots of great memories and im sure you will grass one soon.

Still out among the foxs at the mo but I'm looking for ground with roe on it then it's the big hunt to find who owns it but I've not been successful yet

Get knocking at the doors fella,best way and some will come.

Well done Dave nice read mate!!! Nice to see someone doing a good job on the Roe Bucks well done mate.

Cheers fella.Plenty around the now so not having to work too hard for them.Like to get most before the cover starts making it pretty impossible in some places.

well done dave thats one nice buck and that lad of yours is doing a cracking job with the camera :good::good:

Ta fella.Hopefully a gold and the wee mans doing a top job with the snapper.

Well done Dave, another big one for your wall. :good:

It looks like it has great volume and even when died should still be about 600g so I'd say you've got yourself another gold there mate.

I've not really got started yet but I'm certainly looking forward to it this year. :D

Cheers,

Mark.