confirmed today

digger

just got in from a practice round at horne cpc.shot at 100 targets,best score on any stand was 6,worst was 1.

glorious day,the sun was always at my back and the stiffish breeze hardly moved the clays at all.i didnt get anything in my eyes,the cartridges were all good and the gun fit me well.

so,no excuses i shot a total of 42.the only way is up :no:

just got in from a practice round at horne cpc.shot at 100 targets,best score on any stand was 6,worst was 1.

glorious day,the sun was always at my back and the stiffish breeze hardly moved the clays at all.i didnt get anything in my eyes,the cartridges were all good and the gun fit me well.

so,no excuses i shot a total of 42.the only way is up :no:

I got 14 today, out of 50 :lol: At the Gatwick clay pigeon club.

Before when I has my pump action, and everyone sniffed at me, I got scores of 25 to 32 ish. Now Ive got a gun thats three times more expensive, and much better, and im half as good :lol:

I still come home with a grin though, its still shooting, and I still like it :)

The closest I ever got to 50 was spoilt by missing rabbits - cleaned everything but missed the 5 rabbits.

I have the trick now though.

1. I had a bad habit of waiting for the rabbit with the barrel pointing at the trap - no point, you can't move the gun fast enough to catch the rabbit.

2. I was never in front enough - like in golf for people that "putt short" if your ball doesn't reach the hole you have no chance full stop and absolutely no chance of even fluking a long putt. So I shoot everything miles in front to start with and work back if the clay doesn't break. The daft thing is that what I percieve to be miles in front is actually the right amount of lead and the clay breaks.

3. Pick the spot where you think you ought to be pulling the trigger so you are ready to just do it - I used to think too much about when to shoot the rabbit and the next thing I know the things rolled off out of site / range.

4. And this is the killer which is hard to get your head round is aim to shoot between 1 and 2 foot below the rabbit - this seems mad and your head just won't want to do it because you will be aiming 2 feet in front and 2 feet below the rabbit, but this is the cure all. It is like "vertical" lead and will stop you shooting over the top of the rabbit (if you watch most people you can see about 80% of the shot going over the rabbit). Finally, I find with this method in summer with hard ground you can't fail but to hit because some of the shot will bounce up and off the ground. It also throws up a load of dust right under the clay and it looks like the clay has been hit event when it hasn't.

i enjoyed it but there were two down sides.

1. i took a mate who hasnt shot for years and he got one less than me

2. the bloody snobbery,its a clay shoot yet the guys in the branded skeet vests with the super dooper five grand clay guns,ultra fast cartridges and all the bells and whistles were as friendly as rabid cougar.and they werent all that at shooting !

got to me that i was trying to introduce someone back into the sport and they were tutting,sighing and down right obnoxious :)

group of five were waiting to shoot and one had the gall to take the rise out of my gun :no:

4. And this is the killer which is hard to get your head round is aim to shoot between 1 and 2 foot below the rabbit - this seems mad and your head just won't want to do it because you will be aiming 2 feet in front and 2 feet below the rabbit, but this is the cure all. It is like "vertical" lead and will stop you shooting over the top of the rabbit (if you watch most people you can see about 80% of the shot going over the rabbit). Finally, I find with this method in summer with hard ground you can't fail but to hit because some of the shot will bounce up and off the ground. It also throws up a load of dust right under the clay and it looks like the clay has been hit event when it hasn't.

you would be supprised how difficult rabbits are to break (physically not as a bird), you might think its bouncing shot, but your probably clipping it with your pattern. At one of my shoots we still do pickups and the rabbits clays often come back with holes in them, often more than one, and even marks on the clay where its been struck and the orange removed but no hole. Tough *******, the shooting under trick dosent alwas seem to work.

digger,

At Southdown, Dave P's rabbits tend to need a bit of lead, (I see typically 3 - 4 feet on one of his 40 yard crossing rabbits).

All I can say is, keep your head down, keep the gun moving, and if you miss, do something different on the next one, (I'm amazed how many guys don't follow this basic rule).

Cat.

i hit three out of five rabbits which were followed by a springing teal on report.the rabbits were very close ( 20 yards ) but the teal was at least 30 yds away by the time i picked it up.the hardest stand was two at the same time,one crosser from the left with one semi crosser from just off right.got one on that.

did manage to shoot six straight on one stand until i turned round after a "no bird2 and saw george digweed watching me.

cat,next time you plan to shoot horne let me know,if nick is up for it i`ll pick him up and bring him along

i hit three out of five rabbits which were followed by a springing teal on report.the rabbits were very close ( 20 yards ) but the teal was at least 30 yds away by the time i picked it up.the hardest stand was two at the same time,one crosser from the left with one semi crosser from just off right.got one on that.

did manage to shoot six straight on one stand until i turned round after a "no bird2 and saw george digweed watching me.

cat,next time you plan to shoot horne let me know,if nick is up for it i`ll pick him up and bring him along

deffinatly mate :no:

i enjoyed it but there were two down sides.

1. i took a mate who hasnt shot for years and he got one less than me

2. the bloody snobbery,its a clay shoot yet the guys in the branded skeet vests with the super dooper five grand clay guns,ultra fast cartridges and all the bells and whistles were as friendly as rabid cougar.and they werent all that at shooting !

got to me that i was trying to introduce someone back into the sport and they were tutting,sighing and down right obnoxious :)

group of five were waiting to shoot and one had the gall to take the rise out of my gun :no:

Digger, whereabouts do you shoot? Does it have a webby?

I have to say that I have only seen perhaps 2 people shoot well enough to justify the price tags on their guns.

I was thinking about treating myself to a swanky gun but having given it some thought I couldn't see the point. And if the truth be known I like shooting well with a **** gun. Battered and scratched and the ejectors don't work.

Just keep at it - I have a 5 set of instructional shooting DVDs you are welcome to borrow, I think they worked for me (that and too many years on the game console to get the old hand eye working).

Oh yes, my cartridges are the Sporter own brand ones from Essex gun at £90 for 1000

M

mungler,these guys had all the kit.not just decent guns but changing chokes between stands.we are talking serious shotties,all top range ported,teagued,polished,chromed and with recoil systems.

i only shoot horne cpc,too tight to travel anywhere else

edited to add- nick will do the next open if its good for you ? will check the fixtures and pm you

mungler,these guys had all the kit.not just decent guns but changing chokes between stands.we are talking serious shotties,all top range ported,teagued,polished,chromed and with recoil systems.

i only shoot horne cpc,too tight to travel anywhere else

edited to add- nick will do the next open if its good for you ? will check the fixtures and pm you

okay mate, i will need to see when it is before i know if im free. The old man might be intrested in coming along if you dont object :no:

mungler,these guys had all the kit.not just decent guns but changing chokes between stands.

I love this. At my local club ground i did a round with some guys from the visiting team, they too were changing chokes between rounds. Seems like a waste of time when i watched a friend a week later hit all but one battue from waaaay back (not sure how far but he rekons 8 foot on lead to hit it!) with skeet and cylinder chokes. They didn't get scores and better than anyone else (well ok, better than mine!)

We have all seen the local farmer/gamkeepers son turn with few old random cartridges in his pocket and his old AYA Yeoman (choke, "don't know" in the left, and "don't care" in the right) who follows the 'gadget boys' up to 'hard' stand and then proceed to smoke the lot :)

As for the wabbit.

I was told most people over estimate the speed as it is rolling along the ground and the most common miss is high and in front. Like most people, I hate the bloody things, but an instructor told me not to think too much about just aim to shoot their front legs off.

I hit them all at a shoot the other evening, and I swear blind I was just spot shooting them, not swinging through :no:

I shot 42 today but out of 50 :) My norm is anywhere between 40 and 46 (out of 50).

I have not been able to break 46 though.

There was another thread about this in this section recently Mungler.

With sporting it all depends where you shoot, as the whole attraction is that it is different (and therefore easier/harder) wherever you go.

So to get a direct comparsion between you and Digger for instance, you would need to have shot Horne on the same day as him.

If you had gone to the British open and shot 92%, you would have beaten Mr Faulds by 5 clear shots :no:

deffinatly mate :oops:

I'd look forward to shooting with fellow PW members at the Horne - I could invite the Stealth Stalker along, I'm sure he'd be up for it.

I don't shoot the Horne that often, I last shot there at Gatton Bottom about 3 weeks ago, finished joint 4th with an 89, Richard King won with a superb 94.

I'll look in the events calendar, see whats on and try and arrange something.

Cat.