2ft off target

hedd-wyn

A mate of mine has just bought a Hawke scope for his HW80, now he's in a bit of bother. When zeroing it this evening all his groups were about 2ft to the right of the target!

He stated that the scope dial won't go any further right and he's tearing his hair out because the scope is brand new.

Could anyone enlighten me on this problem?

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Is there a way to sort it out?

Cheers

Hedd

Silly question, has he got the turret orientation right, I've seen it before where it was twisted through 90 degrees in the mounts making the windage turret appear to be the elevation or vice versa.

I have not seen this before but yes it could be the cause :yes: .

A mate of mine has just bought a Hawke scope for his HW80, now he's in a bit of bother. When zeroing it this evening all his groups were about 2ft to the right of the target!

He stated that the scope dial won't go any further right and he's tearing his hair out because the scope is brand new.

Cheers

Hedd

check the grips where the allen bolts go through these can be used either way up however both sides are different one edge will be wider the other narrower,look closely and you will see what i mean its important to use the matching way up..if not that take scope out of mounts fix mounts replace acope try again.fialing that faults scope or mounts .

Stating the obvious but has the barrel been checked to see if bent? Also the post doesn't mention if this is replacing another scope which worked, or if replacing open sights. If it was open sights, the foresight would have moved with the barrel and could have passed unnoticed until a scope was fitted. Just a thought....

With the Hawke scopes you sometime need to re centre the cross hairs. The way to do it is explained in the book provided with the scope. If not this is how you do it: Turn the turret in all the way and then count every click as you turn it all the way out. If you count for exp. 400 clicks out then half that and then turn is back 200 clicks. That goes for both the turrets. Then re zero the rifle. It should sort the problem out. :good:

Good luck

ATB

Werner

What about "shimming" the rear scope mount with a piece of old photo negative? Jim.Night Owl).

Would be OK to do this if you were correcting by a couple of inches, but 2 feet is quite a lot. On the photograph provided the Hawke branding is nearly on the side of the eye bell. Should it not be on top?

Cheers

Hedd

I had this problem with my Brocock Hunter,it turned out to be the barrel had been knocked to the left causing a lose barrel/air cylinder cleat,I squared the cleat back up tightened the allen keys and low and behold it was firing back to zero..!

Have you checked the cleats or cleat in my case to see wether they have moved maybe by you bumping it unknowingly?

Worth a look :good: