Getting To your place where your setting up your hide

Hello guys this may be the most stupid question ever asked but im known to be a muppet... my question is how do you get to where your going to set up your hide?

i ask this because i drive a small car not a 4x4 so i cant drive to where i wish to shoot and then unload all my gear then park else were i probly could drive to my location but never get back out again :unsure: i have a fair emount of gear i wish to take shooting for most situations and to carry it all up the field can be a lot of effort then if i have a good day and shoot a bigger number of birds i have to carry them back too which makes it even harder so i was thinking how to over come this?!? i used to carp fish a while back so was thinking use my old fishing trolly which is matt black so wouldnt spoke the pigeons or crows but would i look like a strange one walking up the field with a trolley?? :lol: :look: :hmm:

Most of the year you get as close as you can and then walk.

I try to plan what I am going to need for each specific session, so avoid carrying every piece of decoying equipment I own.

Shell decoys and stealth nets help lighten the load, and I get as much over my shoulders as possible.

If you get a barrow or something similar, make sure its got decent sized pneumatic tyres, anything else becomes hard work.

Denny Essex and I have worked on lightening our kit for a while now. It's quite amazing how each little bit soon adds up to a fair old lump of gear to carry.

We basically went through every bit of kit and either changed or modified it shedding lb's from the total weight. I don't know what kit bag you use but I used to use a large carry all, I swapped that for a good rucksack which holds all my gear and the weight is so much easier to carry.

I can't remember Denny's weight but mine is down to almost 10kgs which is very manageable. This doesn't include hide poles and a rotary.

Alternatively do what Denny does, take a shooting buddy and make out you suffer from your back so he offers to help you carry the gear.

Cos

I can't get anywhere near where I want to shoot at this time of year without a big trek carrying loads of gear. It's just the nature of the sport I:m afraid.

There's no chance of a barrow for me in most spots, the edges of the fields are that overgrown , it's bad enough just trying to walk along them. Grass and nettles and weed up to your thighs sometimes, but hey, it's better than golf.

All you can do is carry only whats absolutely necessary, and thats easier said than done.

It's only for a few weeks then I get spoilt driving the 4x4 across the stubble to exactly where I want to be.

I've been doing it for 40 years and still love it. You've just got to take the bad with the good.

Lets face it, even the bad days are good aren't they.

i used to use a lightweight B&Q budget wheelbarrow, i painted it camo, and when set up tipped it back and put a prop under the wheel and used as a seat...trouble is they can get toooo comfortable ...remove the prop, and put the game/snap bag under your head and away you go !!!! another pointless outing

i think i have seen somewhere in a garden centre a collapsable leaf barrow....they might be ideal.....