Sign in to follow this  
Zapp

Homebrewing

Hi , Primary fermentation needs ideally a temperature between 20c and 25c for the yeast to work properly, so when you make the kit in the fermentation bin 2 weeks at this temperature should see the fermentation complete. siphon into bottles or pressure barrel after this (I prefer pressure barrels less messing about). I then leave mine for further two weeks at 20c -25c secondary fermentation. I then transfer the barrel to my out house which is cool and store covered on a shelf until the beer clears, start drinking ! I have about three on the go at one time. some of my beer is 4 months old and still good to drink, longer you leave the more it improves the flavor. 

I got this advice from a brewing forum.

Find a tub the Fermenter will fit in, put the full Fermenter in and fill the tub with water at 20°c and get a cheap 100 watt aquarium heater for £9 off E-bay. Put this in the water and, using a thermometer, set the heater thermostat to maintain 20°c

You need 2. 23lt fermenting tubs  and 80 glass bottles cider are ok [ you can get these out of the road side recycling box or ask mates to save ] it will ferment with out a heater .just takes a bit longer not bad when weather warm .only use mine in winter .been making larger for about 6-7 yr easy to set off .but a bit time consuming to bottle .keep larger for around 12 month .made cider also hardest part is getting bottles dear to buy .go to local pub and ask if you can have used bulmers cider bottles they hold a pint be careful some bottles don’t .it takes about 7-8 days to ferment .then bottle .stand in warm place to second ferment.i normally leave a week then it is ready to drink .when you have bottled it start another off then you will always have a supply in stock .i would say a garage is too cold .just stand in corner off a room you don’t use all the time 

Edited by Swinton