Omega Seamaster Professional 300m

Spara Dritto

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an Omega Seamaster.

I'm going for the quartz version for the following reasons, I dislike the poor accuracy of automatics , I don't like the fact that you need to service automatics, I don't like the feeling of the oscillating rota weight, I don't like the extra thickness to house the movement, I don't like the extra weight and dont like the fact that it's more prone to damage with the accidental dropping / Knocking.

Anyway, that being said back to my question...

What is the rough price difference between the Quartz and Automatic?

and...

Why are there so many types of Omega Seamaster Professional 300m with the same name?

Some have 007 on them, some have squiggly lines on the watch face, some have a plain face, some have spots for numeral markers and others have rectangles.

If anyone knows the answer please let me know as it's frustrating me not knowing why this is.

Many thanks,

Edited by Spara Dritto

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a seamaster, it is a great watch. Price differance not sure have a look at goldsmiths website. The 007 is a version after it appeared in a recent bond film it has 007 on the watch face that tou may the extra for. I believe the ones without the waves lines are the older model.

There are some people on PW who know a lot more than me and will be able to fill in the blanks for you.

I have a medium one of each and if I remember rightly there was about 400 sheets between the quartz and auto. I wore the quartz daily for about 2 yrs but I do not trust the straps. Its fallen off twice when a pins given way but luckily I've noticed. I'm too scared to wear it out as you never know whether the chuffing things going come off and get lost. They both live in the draw and I wear a 40 quider that never misses a beat and I couldn't give a stuff about loosing, consequently I will never loose it.

Edited by ack-ack

No worries, thanks very much for your input so far, may I ask, is yours quartz or automatic. If auto – what’s the + / - it's running per day / when was it last serviced?

I have a quartz, it's my daily wearer, had it about 2 years never missed a beat. No problem with the strap as yet either,

I have a quartz, it's my daily wearer, had it about 2 years never missed a beat. No problem with the strap as yet either,

I used to wear my one on site daily, I think it was a combination of sweat and fine dust that just acted as a grinding paste and wore the pins out. Not nice feeling one large slip of your wrist, especially when its got mentalcentre value.

I've got a SMP 300m chrono( automatic)

To be honest it's not my day to day watch( G Shock), but I like to wear it if I'm going somewhere where I'm not upto my elbows in muck.

It's never missed a beat. Never been serviced.

I like the quality of the mechanism over a quartz.

I've got a SMP 300m chrono( automatic)

To be honest it's not my day to day watch( G Shock), but I like to wear it if I'm going somewhere where I'm not upto my elbows in muck.

It's never missed a beat. Never been serviced.

I like the quality of the mechanism over a quartz.

One thing that gets on my whick about the quartz is that the minute hand is a gnats off each increment. I'd expect that on a swatch but not on an Omega.

Edited by ack-ack

Well I have an Omega Seamaster 300m, large face, automatic.

I have owned it 10 years, worn it every day since the day I got it (was an engagement present from Mrs G). I think at the time it was a shade over £1000 (£1050 iirc), now they are over £2000.

For the first few years I worked off shore, since then I've changed jobs and now am a lecturer, but I wear it all the time, DIY, Car maintenance, shooting etc etc and it has never skipped a beat.

I have never had it serviced yet either, and I don't think it needs it yet. Time wise it probably needs adjusting once a month for I would say max 5 mins. As for an above post regarding the sweeping second hand just being off the markers, I have just watched mine do a full revolution and it's spot on.

Thickness wise I havent noticed it being too big, maybe sometimes when a shirt sleeve is a bit tight, but apart from that it's fine.

I personally love the idea that something mechanical is on my wrist, ticking away and manages to remain accurate ( but there again I have a bit of a thing for clocks)

I would throughly recommend a large face automatic as mine has been perfect. I really fancy the Planet Ocean too as it's a beautiful looking watch, or if I have a spare few quid the watch I really like is the Tag Heuer Monaco, the new version with a proper glass face as opposed to the plastic one that was on originally. The Carrera is a nice looking watch too.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Edited by jgguinness

I've had my dads old Rolex oyster for 5 yrs every day rain or shine mud or grime. Never had a problem ;)

I have my grandads, 1956 and the strap is getting worn out just had it serviced and it's remarkably good as long as worn daily, missus bought me a tag aqua racer for my birthday that's quartz she prefers omega I would prefered the auto but she spent enough on the quartz the Rolex is something special and personally if it was spending that sort of money myself I would go for a classic auto that wont date (oyster) only issue is I don't like gold which means stainless or platinum..... When I make millions I won't wear a watch but I will have a box full!

Had one a few years back, think the quartz was about £850 and the auto £1250 at the time in uk, bought mine in America online at world of watches and payed £880 for the automatic about 10 years ago, recently traded it in for a breitling,

Its down to personal preference really! For me though I dont spend that amount of money on a quartz! has to be mechanical all the way. If its offically certified chronometer the worst you should be expecting is a gain of 3mins a month or a loss of 2mins a month BUT thats worst case and your watch is more likely going to be some where in the middle. My Breitling very rarely ever needs adjusting and is checked regularly and is 5 years old and never been serviced. My Panerai again keeps brilliant time and I hardly ever have to adjust it. The Rolex well thats another story!! 2 out of 3 aint bad :lol:

I have an Omega Seamaster Profesional 300m Quartz.

It's the mid size with the black face.

I went for the watch as it was reduced to £700 from £1000 and the mechanical was still about £1600 so it was an easy decision to make. I have bigger watches but the mid size is good because it's not as deep and I don't keep catching it on things.

If your not going to wear the mechanical every day then quartz is a better choice in my opinion.

Harry

Still no luck, left my number with 4 shops in the hope a black face one comes through. To be honest, I really don't mind either, quartz or automatic I love both after seeing them!

I bet your 4.99 watch will work just well!

I brought a £3 one from Brunei 6 years ago, not waterproof and a fake copy. Surfed in it, dropped it countless times, left the dead battery in it for 4 years and still works like new...

It's now got pride of place on my desk all cleaned up!a

Edited by Spara Dritto

My new watch came today - Got a Casio quartz analogue - very light with nice clear white face and black numerals - £4.99 from Amazon - can't fault it. - yet.

Dave

Did it turn up on time? :lol:

Thats the starter.

I have a £5.00 watch but I only get 60 minutes to the hour with it, and 24 hours to the day, 3 years on, no battery change :good: and not lost any time whats the point of having it,I have nothing to moan about :no::lol:

It turned up two days ahead of time so at moment it's running fast. :rolleyes: To be honest I am chuffed with it - nice clear white face with black hands - has to be the easiest watch to read I have.

My Seiko work watch has died this week - that's why got a cheapy - it's automatic and think it needs a good clean but that will cost more than watch it worth.

Still it's Thursday tomorrow according to my new watch. :yes:

Dave