What calls do you use ?

harrycatcat1

I use a Double Nasty 2 and I can make it sound like the videos on You tube.

It`s just a question of correct technique and practice.

Take a look at the Buck Gardner "Call Orientation" series of instructional clips on You tube and pay particular attention to what he says about air delivery and presentation.Once you`ve grasped the basic principles it gets a lot easier.

Good luck with your calling.

I mainly call ducks and geese by mouth , but when its very cold I do sometimes have trouble getting the high notes in my old age so occasionaly I also use a Soderman mallard call or a Haydels snow goose call ( it works on pinks ) , but not as good as calling them by mouth.

If you are with a mate its worth trying two different goose calls. My Haydels is very high pitched gander call while my mates goose call has a lot deeper sounds. One morning when used togeather on one of my very rare days over decoys we called every bunch of geese we saw ( about 12 ) into the decoys. We shot 3 each , packed up shooting and sat back playing with the geese to see how good the calls realy were and the skiens piled in.

Edited by anser2

Best call for pinks that I ever heard is not on the market yet.

It is a bloke called David from up near The Wash.

Sit just infront of Dave and your on.

Sit behind him and you may as well go home...

Never found a good duck caller yet.

Illinoise River Valley for goose calls.

Edited by Grandalf

I have a HS Black Ice for the ducks taken me a bit of time to get the sound right but im getting there..

Had wooden ones up to then but to be honest as and when they got wet the tone changed so move on to the these poly ones (think thats what they are made of).

Also got BG Greylag call

The David I think you are talking about is a good friend of mine and if it is him if is the one responsible for introducing me to the sport. Good good Fowler.

Yep, think were talking the same man.

First time I met him - out on Norwich and District after the pinks - He and another were about 100 yds further along the ditch. I'd got my deeks set out - lots of birds about - I was using my caller - birds would turn in then this bloke in the next hide would start his whistling 'grunt' - I'd never heard a noise quite like it - but the birds went to him like magic - no deeks or anything.

I never got a shot and was just on the verge of packing up. Bird after bird had fallen along the ditch.

Then this figure climbed out of the hide and ambled along to me. (I was not in the best of moods by this time)!

"Hello, he says, I'm David - I'd better sit with you for a bit. Me and grandson have shot our bag limit". (Four each).

Two pinks appeared - he called - I got a left and right and we've been friends ever since.

Top wildfowler - Charms the birds right out of nowhere.

I have a collection of calls but mainly use the Olt 800 for Pinks, Greys and Canadas - once mastered I find it quite easy to use. For the duck I use a DJ Illinois Sonderman 66 Single reed - this is (IMO) a very easy call to use and a novice should be able to make a reasonable noise quite easily. Aso have the Buck Gardner 6-in-1 Duck Whistle on my lanyard - good for Wigeon, Teal and Drake Mallard - all in one call.

I was a bot obsessed with OLTs and collected a few over the years :yes: My favourite is the Olt 800 Deluxe with enamel goose on the call and the L-22 if you want a pink only call. If you want something as good an Olt you won't go wrong with a DJ Illinois River Calls - the guys making these used to make Olts.

Here are a few of mine;

7182310980_e524b62f40_b.jpg

Edited by laurona12

I`ve used quite alot of calls in the past, the double nasty being an obvious favourite. But a couple of years ago a friend brought me back from the states what i consider to be the best call I`ve used. Its a double reed Primos Original Wench!!!!. Its superb, and can turn ducks superbly.For anyone in the market for a new call, I cannot rate this highly enough. If you check the web I`m sure you can still buy them. :good:

I`ve used quite alot of calls in the past, the double nasty being an obvious favourite. But a couple of years ago a friend brought me back from the states what i consider to be the best call I`ve used. Its a double reed Primos Original Wench!!!!. Its superb, and can turn ducks superbly.For anyone in the market for a new call, I cannot rate this highly enough. If you check the web I`m sure you can still buy them. :good:

Another of my favourites is the Primos Nag - I got this when on my honeymoon in the states from Bass Pro :lol: - another very realistic call which is easy to use

Another of my favourites is the Primos Nag - I got this when on my honeymoon in the states from Bass Pro :lol: - another very realistic call which is easy to use

Will have to look out for one of those mate....Ta for the tip. :good: