What the chuff is .17h&R?..

Hornet and Remington......just a thought :D

That has got to be one of the most butt ugly guns I have seen

Hmmm, a semi .17 remington would be interesting but a whole world of overkill on rabbits and illegal in my neck of the woods to boot! You're right about its looks though - I hadn't been sick in my mouth for quite a while... :blink:

Harrington & Richardson :good:

I know they make rifles in .17HMR, but I haven't seen any sign that they produce another proprietary .17 round? I've pitched an email to Tangfolio so hopefully I'll get some info from the horses mouth. Obviously the semi .17 is verboten but if there's a newer light, fast, loud, expensive to feed round available - I'm game. :)

I know they make rifles in .17HMR, but I haven't seen any sign that they produce another proprietary .17 round? I've pitched an email to Tangfolio so hopefully I'll get some info from the horses mouth. Obviously the semi .17 is verboten but if there's a newer light, fast, loud, expensive to feed round available - I'm game. :)

It might be .17 Sako rather than .17 Remington. I think but I am not entirely sure that in the states they call the .17 Sako the .17 H&R but Tangfolio should be able to clarify

strange how they thought appeal was the right name for it ;/

Maybe appeal is Italian for ugly? :hmm:

It's a curiously hideous little runt but if they chambered that thing in 5mm remington magnum, it'd be UK legal and I'd buy one today. I'd just squint whenever it was in direct view.

Maybe appeal is Italian for ugly? :hmm:

It's a curiously hideous little runt but if they chambered that thing in 5mm remington magnum, it'd be UK legal and I'd buy one today. I'd just squint whenever it was in direct view.

It wouldn't, unfortunately. The only semi-auto rim-fire's we are allowed are .22's.

J.

It wouldn't, unfortunately. The only semi-auto rim-fire's we are allowed are .22's.

J.

Damn it, you're right - maths was never my strong point. 5mm is indeed .20 not .22 calibre.

The heart wants what it can't have and living in the UK with a passion for firearms is terrible for my heart. :/

Damn it, you're right - maths was never my strong point. 5mm is indeed .20 not .22 calibre.

The heart wants what it can't have and living in the UK with a passion for firearms is terrible for my heart. :/

It's an absolutely ridiculous state of affairs! Unfortunately, that goes for most of our gun laws.

The key is to get as many people as possible interested in shooting. Politicians don't ban things because they are an actual threat to public safety, they ban things because they can score votes from it! If a million people (probably far less, actually) had sub .22 cal semi-auto rifles we wouldn't be having this discussion.

In short - MORE SHOOTERS!!!

J.

J.

Are you sure about that? The law only banned centre fire semi autos. At that time there was only .22 semis available so it was that or nothing. But the way I would read it if its rimfire its legal.

It's an absolutely ridiculous state of affairs! Unfortunately, that goes for most of our gun laws.

The key is to get as many people as possible interested in shooting. Politicians don't ban things because they are an actual threat to public safety, they ban things because they can score votes from it! If a million people (probably far less, actually) had sub .22 cal semi-auto rifles we wouldn't be having this discussion.

In short - MORE SHOOTERS!!!

J.

I hear you Jonathan. I'm about to send my own thread into oblivion, but here goes... Public pressure isn't always enough - remember the Iraq anti-war protests? One million angry people descended on London (the largest political protest in London's history). The effect: nothing.

Now in the USA, the fact that there are such overwhelming numbers of firearm owners and NRA supporters does definitely cause their government to take public opinion seriously. Their NRA is infinitely stronger than our BASC or NRA and actually manage to make a serious political impact. So much so that Obama will actually come out in support of gay marriage and lose the entire Christian vote before he takes on firearm owners!

If it wasn't for English history and humour, I'd live overseas permanently where all my fun toys are. The laws are no less rediculous in other countries though - I can shoot a .308 on my land because it has a nice walnut stock. The 5.56 however has a plastic stock and is therefore too tactical to be safe!? You can carry a glock on your belt in Minnesota but if you accidentally cross an imaginary line in the woods, you've just qualified for a long-term prison stay in Ontario. If you like common sense, you've chosen the wrong hobby! ;)

Are you sure about that? The law only banned centre fire semi autos. At that time there was only .22 semis available so it was that or nothing. But the way I would read it if its rimfire its legal.

I'm actually not totally sure either. The only solid fact I have in front of me is that a .22lr semi is legal. Beyond that, I'd be guessing.

Edited by sterling

[

I'm actually not totally sure either. The only solid fact I have in front of me is that a .22lr semi is legal. Beyond that, I'd be guessing.

When 17HMR first came out I wanted a Volquartson semi version. I enquired with my local licensing section who had to take advice. They advised that the law as it presently stands says the only calibers allowed in semi automatic are 22LR and 22WMR. It will need a full review and redraft of the firearms laws to get semi 17HMRs allowed. My thoughts are we don't want that.

A

To clarify

Section 5 of the firearms act 1968 defines any self-loading or pump-action [rifled gun] other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges

as a prohibited weapon (ie section 5)

therefore any semi (self loader) other than a .22 rimfire is a section 5 Weapon (conversely a .22 rimfire self loader is classed as a section 1. Hence any self loader other than a .22 (lr or wmr) is banned in the UK unless you have a sec 5/ sec5 RFD ticket

Sterling : a note from Canada about change. We just got rid of the long gun registration law after a 16 year battle. Canada probably sits closer to the US gun philosophy than the UK but we had very poor lobbying skills years back. This changed and we made a difference in the last election. The law was changed because of us! I have followed your firearm laws for years and hope you also have a chance to return to some commonsense. We showed our opposition that we were not just a bunch of rednecks and farmers but a force to be respected. GOOD LUCK in the future

As much as I'd like a change to the restrictive law rguarding firearms, I doubt that it will, I'd love to able to own and shoot hand guns at the range, I also would love to be able to shoot machine guns at a range. These could all be controlled and be done probly as a arm of the army thus earn more money for governent, can't ever see hunting with semi auto machine gun being allow like the USA

Sterling : a note from Canada about change. We just got rid of the long gun registration law after a 16 year battle. Canada probably sits closer to the US gun philosophy than the UK but we had very poor lobbying skills years back. This changed and we made a difference in the last election. The law was changed because of us! I have followed your firearm laws for years and hope you also have a chance to return to some commonsense. We showed our opposition that we were not just a bunch of rednecks and farmers but a force to be respected. GOOD LUCK in the future

You have to remember that we in the UK are up against some very organised opposition from anti groups, animal rights and the police.