Scrots. And new satnav advice?

sandspider

Morning all

Last night some kind soul or souls decided to relieve my car of my satnav and some other bits and pieces :angry: Luckily the satnav was old and a bit ****, but it's still annoying, especially as I'm not sure what else I had in the glove compartment that they might've taken. (They left my shotgun licence luckily, shouldn't have left that in the car!) I hope they get a urinary tract infection.

So, I need a new satnav. I'd like one with European maps, speed camera definitions that I can update myself when I feel like it (I don't want one with an expensive satellite update contract thing) and basically one that will get me where I want to go. My old one was a MyGuide if I remember right. I've heard good things about TomTom, but have never actually had one - any recommendations please? (Less than £150 lets say - not worth claiming on insurance for :()

Cheers.

That clearly doesn't include European maps! :P Plus, it's made of paper, and gone are the days of printing out a route on Google maps then trying to read it off the steering wheel while driving!

You obviously need 1 on both knees...jeeee's some people... :lol: :lol:

2011_Europe_front.jpg

Maps are fine if you plan your journey in stages. My first road trip was Newcastle to Mablethorpe to visit my Aunt. I went on a 49cc Honda Express back in 1987 and enjoyed top speeds in excess of 25mph :o

Top speed was infact 27mph down hill with a tail wind.

I read the map in stages and never got lost. By the time I popped into the services to eat and warm through on route it took me approx 14 hours :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have used sat-navs that have took me off a road only to take me 15 miles out of my way and then put me back on the same road ??????

The A69 was a prime example.

I now keep a map book under my seat in the car :good:

You never need to charge it, no worries if you lose satalite tracking, nobody is going to steal it

Edited by Lord Geordie

I would normally recomend TomTom purely for their ease of use,but yestersay something went wrong.

I have mine set to an Irish womans voice and now it dont talk.Although it might be mans ultimate quest to stop a woman from talking its a pain the ***** not having a voice telling me where to go.

TomTom is still the one i'd recomend...even if its a mute like mine.

Tom Tom is excellent, simple as that.

Since getting an iphone though I use a fre download called Nav Free, its very good and gets me to where I want to go. No expensive updates any more! Doesn't have camera's on there but I think you can pay a nomional fee for that too if I'm not mistaken. If you have any sort of smart phone there are plenty of decent navigation Apps free of charge and off course you can by TomTom app for around £50 but I haven't felt I needed that since using Nav Free

Go Tomtom and go XL you will appreciate the larger screen for sure it just makes life so much easyire :good:

And as said dont leave it in the car !

Either that or try the satnav on your phone if you have a smart phone ! The one on my Samsung Galaxy was great using google maps and i have just got a Iphone 4 and have herd goo things about its satnav to ! :good:

Got a TomTom 520 - old but far superiour to Ford fitted one the car came with -- I have all the new TT map downloads on file but don't know how to put them on TT - I can get to point of finding TT file but baulk at dropping file in - in case I screw up.

Dave

Exactly the same thing happened to me... nasty little beggars just stuck their hand in the glove box and took what was there, including my car manual! And I know, I shouldn't have left it in there. But at the same time, people shouldn't thieve!!

It was a tomtom Go Live 1000 - and for the short time I had it, it was excellent. The traffic update function on it was always spot on, and the rerouting was pretty swift. As and when I can afford to replace it, I'll be getting the same one.