Another ton

motty

I intended to shoot on a field of peas yesterday. It looked quite promising last week, so i invited my mate Sam to come along.

However, i had a drive around on Thursday, and happened to see some pigeons dropping in on one of the worst hit rape fields i've seen.There are only one or two flowering patches, the rest is about 4" tall on this 10ish acre field. I didn't have permission to shoot it, but given it was next door to some land i do shoot on, i did a little detective work. A few phone calls later and i was told i could shoot it as many times as i liked.

So, yesterday morning we arrived at the rape field and watched the birds drop in. We decided where to set up and what gear to use.We walked over and set a hide in a nice dry ditch and put a magnet and flocked shells out.

The wind was in our faces which wasn't ideal, but i thought this would help muffle the shot noise from the main wood which was less than 1/4 of a mile in front of the hide.

The birds came mostly from behind to start with and many didn't decoy how we wanted, but we killed them at a reasonable rate - and not many escaped.

By 1pm we decided to move to the other side of the field to see if they would decoy any better. This worked to a certain extent but it still wasn't perfect.

Pigeons poured out of the wood (which was now behind us) but many ignored the set up.

We got a steady trickle coming in, though, which kept us interested. We had some cracking shots, some good banter and it was a highly enjoyable outing.

We packed up at about 4ish with 110 pigeons.

I'm glad we didn't shoot on the peas - i had a couple of hours there today and only got 9.

Final bag.

post-2090-0-22289600-1337438580.jpg

post-2090-0-69772700-1337438594.jpg

post-2090-0-27007200-1337438652.jpg

post-2090-0-69882100-1337438663.jpg

Good shooting , seems that the pigeons round this way are staying on the rape later than ever , I have a couple of nice looking pea fields that are not being touched ,yet i put a good bunch up off some rape yesterday when doing a reccy , think I may give it a go monday as one corner and the edge is clearly being hammered.

Well shot mate :good:

They are all on the fields and football pitches at the moment down here :blush:

Funnily enough, on Thursday i also saw the most pigeons i've ever seen on a football pitch. Must have been almost 500 on there!