Distance advice

Hi I have a new permission on a field of sown maze. At one end I can set my hide but 350 yards (paced out) up the other end is a dual carriageway in my line of site.

Am I safe too fire towards it ? Up one side of the field is a minor road so my options are a bit limited

Thank you

Yep, but to err on the side of caution I'd call it No 6 tops and avoid shooting in a strong tail wind.

Hi I have a new permission on a field of sown maze. At one end I can set my hide but 350 yards (paced out)

Not the best way to measure it.

Use the measuring tool on Google Earth to give you a better idea of the real distance, you can make an informed decision from that. :yes:

Not the best way to measure it.

Use the measuring tool on Google Earth to give you a better idea of the real distance, you can make an informed decision from that. :yes:

That was a good idea thank you. 358 down too 297 at the narrowest point so that is that then

Edited by captainhastings

if you switch to 6's and you restrict your shooting a tiny bit you will be absolutely legal. In reality any shot taken is unlikely to hit the road unless you have a serious wind behind you and the energy will be next to nothing. When we are out beating when you are in front of the guns and the shot lands on you its a bit like rain certainly not painful and really I can't remember any getting anywhere near that range. You could if you want not shoot at a 45 degree angle and either wait for birds to be closer and lower or as they come over the top of you to reduce the chances even further but in reality you are using a shotgun not a mortar. Most claygrounds have 300 yards as a rough limit for safe fallout.

whats the spread going to be at 300 yds ??? you will be lucky to hit a car at that distance, even if it does it will only be like fly hitting the car.

Ever rode a motorbike? A fly in the eye hurts! I really don't fancy a shotty pellet in the eye.

Don't take the chance mate, it's not worth someone's life.

Ever rode a motorbike? A fly in the eye hurts! I really don't fancy a shotty pellet in the eye.

Don't take the chance mate, it's not worth someone's life.

Sorry no i have been on a few but never owned one, If it hurts then eye wear protection. It doesnt have to be a shotty pellet, a Bumble bee could cause you to loose your sight thats a dam site heavier than a pellet. :good: