Variation help?

Bangon

I already have a ticket for an FAC air, a .22 lr and a .222 CF. however I require/ need something with a bit more range for vermin ie bunnies carrion. Control.

Would this be reason enough stating that I need something with a bit more range or could they think I'm just a gun nut who wants more guns.

My initial application was for FAC air for near buildings and live stock as its an air arms S510 and has adjustable power, the .22 lr was for open fields for vermin up to 80 yards ish. And the .222 is a dedicated fox rifle.

I would like to put in for a 17 hmr. For the longer ranges. Or if they asked me to swap one out which would you choose.

Cheers

The .222 is for foxes only. I like the 22 lr because it's silent, The 22 FAC air is more noisy , thing is I need them all really , different tools for different jobs , but the FAC air is a pain in the *** , filling up every 30 odd shots as its been regulated by air masters.

In your experience would that be a considered swap. , the FAC air for a 17 hmr

Cheers guys

If you don't want to lose the air-gun and don't find the .222 to be suited then I'm sure you'll be able to get a .17HMR too. It's not exactly a long gun list, it should not be difficult to keep the air-gun for yard work, .22 for short range work and a .17HMR for the long range vermin control, with the .222 staying as a foxing round. It's all justified, I think you'll be fine.

They should accept that a .22 and the air-gun has it's limits, add in about the safety element of the .17HMR being less prone to ricochet and they should be happy to grant you one. They'll probably be happier doing that then allowing you to use a more powerful centre-fire round, I can't see it being an issue.

The HMR is very poor for Crows. 17 grn tends to break up too easy on hitting primary feathers etc, 20 often rip through with a clean hole. Forget the variation for another rifle and get the .222 conditioned for your needs, if you handload it can be downloaded using sr 4759 powder to around 1700-2100fps and a 55 grn bullet if required though in practice that wont be required.

.22 FAC is a niche tool but cannot be replaced- certainly not with a HMR producing 240 ftlb

.22 lr is the best bunny gun ever - every shooter should have one

.222 rem will do the long range stuff will put 150 yds ontop of a hmr and an ideal fox gun for 95% of shooters. one might be tempted to say go out and try it with some less frangible bullets head shooting bunnies- but that would be illegal!

In short you have an exellent selection. Personally i dropped the HMR and replaced it with a .22 Hornet 45grn bullet at 2900 fps realy does knock spots of the HMR. other than that it replicates the lower end of my own cabinets FAC air then .22lr followed by hornet.

If you have issues with the cops allowing .222 for such use, try .17 rem or .22 Hornet which are specifically suggested for Fox and smaller vermin in HO guidelines

Like everyone is saying lose the FAC air they are a joke when you have a .22lr and a .17hmr but if you do want to keep it then just stop being tight and pay the £26 quid anyway. And I used to shoot loads of bunnies with my howa .223 worked perfectly on them if you didn't want to eat them after I used to leave them for the foxes then shoot them. They shud be ok with all the guns at one stage on my license I had a .22lr a .22 WMR a .223 a .22-250 a .17hmr they was ok with them all

It's been mentioned twice already so I'll make it thrice.

17 Rem.

As it happens a good friend of PW has a complete set up that needs a new home (this is of no pecuniary value to me) which I've seen in the workshop and at the asking price it's a bite his fingers off at the shoulder job.

I've never even thought about a 17 rem, Are they any good compared to 17 hmr

Chalk/cheese.

Figures in ft/lbs at the muzzle: HMR (17gn) = 250, 17 Hornet (20gn) = 591 and 17 Rem (25gn) = 888. The 17 Hornet may change (but unlikely) when the reloaders get a grip. A reloaded 22 Hornet (45-50gn) can almost match the 22 Rem but the trajectory is curved somewhat.