What's your cholesterol level?

ack-ack

I was sitting next to a very slim woman at the lipids clinic the other day and her cholesterol was 20! Her Triglycerides were about 50 (well, the machine only goes up to 50, the 'normal' range for Triglycerides being 0.9-1.6). You can never tell.

I've had high cholesterol and high Triglycerides mostly due to familial hypercholesterolaemia and being too fond of my food and drink.

Been on a regime of high-power omega 3 pills called Omacor, and a drug called Fenofibrates, and luckily it's all getting back to normal. Will almost certainly have to take them indefinitely though.. :angry:

Ack-Ack you're a ******* show-off!

I had the the tablets changed for a cheaper one but had terrible nightmares which I could remember when I woke up.

I don`t have nightmares but do get VIVID dreams.

Any docs on here know if its worth me getting checked out? I'm only 20 but my old man and both grandfathers have/had high blood pressure. I eat far to much rubbish and I don't consider myself teetotal.

Cheers.

Yes get your blood pressure checked, but that isn`t cholesterol, thats a different fish altogether.

Any docs on here know if its worth me getting checked out? I'm only 20 but my old man and both grandfathers have/had high blood pressure. I eat far to much rubbish and I don't consider myself teetotal.

Cheers.

My mother started on blood pressure tablets in her early 20's, my advice would be to mention it to your doctor and get checked out :good:

edited to say especially as it seems to run in the family.

Edited by harrycatcat1

I don't know, i have a couple of blood tests between visits to renal, cholesterol is one of them but i don't really pay much attention. All i'm really concerned about is the ANCA test. the consultant said my cholesterol was a little high last time, but didn't give me the figure, what's the average?

Was on Pravastatin but my god did it make my legs ache, so stopped taking them :look:

I couldn't tolerate statins had many heated discussions with my GP, the diabetic nurse suggested Rosuvastatin. i'm on 5mg and down to 3.9 with no more stomach pains.

It's absolutely right to keep all these things in check but you also have to watch what the press say. Typical headlines say "taking X reduces your chance of a heart attack by 25%". Fantastic, sign me up! What is not reported is that the incidence is currently 4 in 1000 and you are now down to 3 in 1000. If you are the unlucky one it's a good bet. If you're not then the side effects of a drug for the other 996 can be enough to spoil your fun. Keeping the balance is important.

In my case triglycerides have always been off the bottom of the scale and always flag up as abnormal. And every doctor so far has said .... "haven't got a clue what it means". So like the chap who jumped off the sky scraper .... every floor he passed he was heard to say .... "so far, so good".

Don't drink or smoke but weigh too much cholesterol was 4.8 went up to 5.1 tsting again on friday for type II as well... not lost any weight so expecting a roasting and tablets. Been on bp tablets for 10 years. dad was thin as a whippet but sky high BP. Died at 65 of heart attack. but drank and smoked socially.

Yes get your blood pressure checked, but that isn`t cholesterol, thats a different fish altogether.

No idea why I typed BP. Bit of a brain trump, I did in fact mean cholesterol. The BP is fine as of March this year.

Can one just walk into their GPs and book a cholesterol test?