Canada geese-advice needed

Hi all, I am 13 and I spend all my spare time keepering on a social/friendly shoot. we have a pair of canada geese which come to the shoots fishing lakes every year. most years they loose 5 out of about 7 goslings. this year we managed to keep 6 out of 7. One of the parents died/was killed last week. (the farmer suspects it was boys with fishing hooks who came to tell him one had died). Today, i was at my family stable yard which is opposite the shoot land. I walked into the field to find all the surviving geese grazing in the grass fields. we managed to herd them back to the shoot lakes after about 2 hours. The lakes are surrounded by grass and the geese are fed daily. I was wondering why they would go all the way along a track and across a main road to get to grass when there is grass/food by the lakes. If anyone has any advice as to why they would do this it would be much appreciated if you could post your thoughts. thanks in advance

They only stayed on the pond and held territory while on eggs ,after aweek or so its a wandering we shall go :yes:

usually the geese have stayed on the lakes and never left the shoots boundary until the goslings are fully feathered and able to fly

:/

Some posts have been removed from this thread.

There are subforums on PW for serious content and subforums for mucking about. This is an area for serious, on topic posts, so please respect the fact that genuine advice and information is being sought and leave the silly comments out.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds crazy, but all grass aint the same to grass eaters. Theres a lovely meadow infront of the house and all the sheep do when they have access to it is sleep in it. when it is cut and bailed they eat it under protest. All fields around it are eaten keenly, something to do with PH levels i think

They also moult this time of the year and may not be able to fly so they have to walk everywhere. They like to stay quite close to water to escape to if threatened though.

I think they find Rye grass a bit tough and prefer the softer grasses that you find on Golf Greens.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, I am 13 and I spend all my spare time keepering on a social/friendly shoot. we have a pair of canada geese which come to the shoots fishing lakes every year. most years they loose 5 out of about 7 goslings. this year we managed to keep 6 out of 7. One of the parents died/was killed last week. (the farmer suspects it was boys with fishing hooks who came to tell him one had died). Today, i was at my family stable yard which is opposite the shoot land. I walked into the field to find all the surviving geese grazing in the grass fields. we managed to herd them back to the shoot lakes after about 2 hours. The lakes are surrounded by grass and the geese are fed daily. I was wondering why they would go all the way along a track and across a main road to get to grass when there is grass/food by the lakes. If anyone has any advice as to why they would do this it would be much appreciated if you could post your thoughts. thanks in advance

hi mate (im 13 to)

our lake at home has canadas nesting and the seem to like the field with short grass rather than the closer one with long grass.maybe cut the grass and spread alot of food around to keep them there.y. hope your geese survive(do you shoot them)

SON OF A GUN

hi mate (im 13 to)

our lake at home has canadas nesting and the seem to like the field with short grass rather than the closer one with long grass.maybe cut the grass and spread alot of food around to keep them there.y. hope your geese survive(do you shoot them)

SON OF A GUN

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head. Geese are unable to graze longer grass and there is not enough goodness in it for them so they will seek out short sweet palatable grass to graze.

• 4 weeks later...

Canada geese in England are pest species ,therefore should be dealt with as a pest! that is assuming you come from south of the border? but even if you are not then i cant see what is beneficial for you to feed the geese daily these are wild animals not pets and as for those guiding you through your keepering skills should be guiding you in a more positive way ? leave them be, they will find there own destiny hopefully on the 1sep :good:

Canada geese in England are pest species ,therefore should be dealt with as a pest! that is assuming you come from south of the border? but even if you are not then i cant see what is beneficial for you to feed the geese daily these are wild animals not pets and as for those guiding you through your keepering skills should be guiding you in a more positive way ? leave them be, they will find there own destiny hopefully on the 1sep :good:

yes, i know they are wild animals. We feed the geese in hope that they will stay in long enough to be there on shoot days, they probably would of been shot if they had stayed on the lakes until then. I am taught in a positive way, I just want to keep ducks.pheasants and geese on the shoot during the season.

hi mate (im 13 to)

SON OF A GUN

thanks SON OF A GUN, you may be right but neither bits of grass were really long?? Yes they did survive but they've already left the lakes. whereabouts are you and do you have a shoot? :good:

yes, i know they are wild animals. We feed the geese in hope that they will stay in long enough to be there on shoot days, they probably would of been shot if they had stayed on the lakes until then. I am taught in a positive way, I just want to keep ducks.pheasants and geese on the shoot during the season.

Hope you don't feed them once the season has started ? as you should know that that is illegal to feed geese then shoot them ?