Modified LED lamping torches.

Dave-G

The pressure switch does exactly what it says - it switches on while pressure is applied.

I linked to one that has a long enough cord to reach anywhere you always position a thumb or finger while taking a shot. The other advantage of it is that some might break a habit of walking about with a light advertising your presence. A very quick scan of the field can be taken without bringing the rifle to the shoulder.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much are nailbenders ir drop ins,and what torch can they be used in?......I have the ultrafire 502b with 5w ir/dx aspherical lens at the moment.

I am going to try a zoomable torch and 1 w ir drop in,just wondering if nailbenders would give better results?

NB's would give much better results. Sorry about the grainy vids from the lousy DVR but the difference between the IR modules are clearly seen.

Scroll down a tad for more of my posts in that NB thread and you'll see that his price was 45 USD export shipped, but I think he now doesn't charge for the potting so it's 40 USD (about £25). They fit 501B's and a few others but I have no experience with 502. You could always join and ask him. 850nm is the one you want.

The pressure switch does exactly what it says - it switches on while pressure is applied.

I linked to one that has a long enough cord to reach anywhere you always position a thumb or finger while taking a shot. The other advantage of it is that some might break a habit of walking about with a light advertising your presence. A very quick scan of the field can be taken without bringing the rifle to the shoulder.

Thanks always better to ask if unsure cheers Dave

I was told he only keeps the lenses though - not the spacer to place the lens at the correct back focal distance.

No Dave he doesn't do the spacers I cut down an ordinary reflector on the lathe and turned the the threaded ring that holds the original glass on the torch head back by the right amount seems to work OK. I know not everybody has a lathe but you could do the same with a hacksaw and could just file the reflector to smooth it off ,the Ahorton lens is the mutt's if you want to make thrower. Atb Rob

Someone has done a similar ting with an IR led on the BBS NV section

Guess that may be me ?? I've just ordered one of the Asphirical Lenses following your recommendation on this thread - wonder if it'll make much difference. I have a IR drop in in mine - using it last night with my N750 I clearly watched a Fox 200yds away + a couple of Badgers & loads of Rabbits all out to around 200yds

Edited by V8 90

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been trawling through this post but can't seem to find the info I'm after. Hopefully you can help gents.

I bought an Ultrafire 504B with a 3 LED IR module. I'm after a lens to fit it, preferably from a UK supplier to minimise delivery time. The glass lens fitted to the torch measures up at 30mm thereabouts so I'm presuming it's the same size as 501's, 502's etc.

So if someone could let me know the best source for the lens I'd be extremely grateful. Also, do I need a spacer or can I use existing components? The reflector fitted to the torch would place the lens approx 15mm from the emitter.

Many thanks,

Greg.

You didn't trawl very deep lol.

Never had a 504 - assuming the heads are the same size - which it looks like they are then Roughcoat has posted up a link to the UK supplier in post number 304 above for the better lens - but you WILL need a much shorter spacer if you have this one.

Meanwhile if you trawl real deep back to the very first post you might find my link to an aspheric lense that is suited to the existing reflector you have. Apparently someone has blacked their lens with a felt tip pen - I guess that would do the job ok.

Edited by Dave-G

• 3 weeks later...

so I have been making a lamp of my own from a dead deben tracer I am converting to LED

trouble is I am struggling to find dimmable LED's of any real power.

Found one with 4x3w LED which is allegedly equivalent to the 50w halogen, but it just doesnt give me enough light through a filter

think they are 500 odd lumens

does anyone know where I can get 12v dimmable LED's with the same kind of lumen level as the drop in units for the ultrafire things?

fitment and size is not important so long as they are 12v and dimmable

am struggling!

thanks

Your main problem is that LED's emit a very narrow bandwidth of colour. White (bulbs) have quite a few colours in them and red features strongly because the light comes from a burning filament which glows.

There are red LED's, but the dimmable aspect... Hmm possibilities here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360441580616

For the paltry amount discussed in the original thread, and the ease of use and portability, minimal space taken up on the rifle I'd look again at my original post and spend the £25 ish.

For what it's worth however, my old Deben Tracer Atom Tactical had a dimmer, but although it was powered by 12 volts the dimmer reduced it to PWM 6volts.

I'm happy to leave the Atom to one side now - the tiny self contained red LED torches are much better and more conveient. Have fun with the project though mate - sounds interesting but you will not get the performance out of them that will be got with an aspheric lensed torch, unless you are thinking of a single red LED with a single massive aspheric lens.... OMG... There's an intersting thought, keep us informed please.

Edited by Dave-G

Thanks for that

I am all for using up exisiting hardware and quite like the tracer position and switch/dimmer position

I have the power, case, switch and hardware under control

I have a 50mm Aspheric lens fixed into the tracer housing and currently 3 LED's fixed into a reflector from the orginal 50mm halogen

with a red filter between the two

001-10.jpg

002-13.jpg

003-11.jpg

There is a limit to the output I am getting currently because of the limited output of the donor LED's and the dimming aspect is an issue as the original dimmer switch need some resistance applied to it to get it down to the range the LED's operate at

otherwise you end up with a mean strobe! certain to **** off any fox!

I am looking at a LED solution like this

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

bit bright for my needs, but I can run 2x18v Bosch Lithiums to get the and may be able to use the original dimmer

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c66fed834

(BTW anyone looking for cheap Lithium batteries the ones attached to cordless drills are a good place to start. I dont use the light to spot so limited Ah is not an issue)

work in progress

Edited by Bewsher500

Oh - I see what you mean now, I suspected you were going to ditch the three LED unit and fit a single LED into an alloy base at the best focal length for the large aspheric.

I don't think you'll be very impressed with the three led unit with an aspheric in front TBH.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who have found the ahorton spacer set only leaves a single thread or so to re-attach the torch head, Ahorton has now made up some plastic front spacers that can easily be sanded shorter to allow the torch head to be screwed further to the body. That's not much use to anyone who has already bought the set from Australia but anyone buying one of the new batch would benefit. Alternatively, you could just file the original alloy front spacer down.

• 1 month later...