Don't try this at home

Was putting the .22 rimfire ammo away and noticed that the round i had ejected live after having not fired it had a loose head on it. As i've a collection of new and used air rifle pellets of same brand types to see the difference ( some out of rabbits skulls ) after firing, i thought i would start a rimfire collection off of before and after, just in case i ever find a bullet in a rabbit. Off i go to the shed where i carefully removed the bullet head and shook the powder out into the wet garden. Looking into the empty case i noticed the pinky coloured primer was still there, so to make the case safe decided to remove the primer. Poked a bit of stiff galvanised fencing wire down and give it a wiggle to dislodge the primer. It done the job, the thing went off between my fingers like a starting pistol and luckily no damage was done except for sooty fingers. Lesson learned.

Before anybody jumps on me about taking a live round apart, i done it a lot gentler than some i've seen on you tube.

I doubt you could dislodge the primer, from what i gather it is poured in as a liquid ???

i may be corrected on that ???

Thanks for the warning though :lol: just incase i did have a silly moment at some time whilst bored, i will make a note and put up on the reloading room not to do board :good::lol:

I doubt you could dislodge the primer, from what i gather it is poured in as a liquid ???

i may be corrected on that ???

Thanks for the warning though :lol: just incase i did have a silly moment at some time whilst bored, i will make a note and put up on the reloading room not to do board :good::lol:

:lol: Yep, poured, then spun to distribute it it centrifugally around the inside of the rim, then dried. It dries quite hard and the rim is a tiny groove, so it would need a right good hoik around to shift it. With a bit of bent wire?

Hate to say it, but you got what you deserved. You'd have done less damage if you'd just chucked the case without trying to be a hero.

Thats a bit harsh! The OP has learned a lesson, thankfully without injury, and posted his experience for the benefit of others. He didn't have to tell us did he? If by sharing this he's preventing someone else from making the same mistake then all credit to him.

If it were me, I'd have fired the empty case but I certainly wouldn't have chucked it with an intact primer :no:

The reason i never "fired" the empty case was because i wanted to keep the case and bullet "unfired", so if i ever find a used bullet in a rabbit, i have a before and after version of .22 lr rimfire complete, like i have before and after air-gun pellets.

As mentioned above that's exactly why i posted, so as to point out the danger to others, live and learn, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I don't mind anyone laughing, because i would.

If you want a perfectly mushroomed .22lr bullet then fire one into a bin liner filled with water. It will stop the bullet, mushroom it nicely and you'll find it in the bottom of the bag when the water has drained away. :good:

Nice one posting about poking the primer. It made me chuckle and no harm was done luckily! :lol:

I've got some fired rounds that i've dug out of the ground behind a backstop, but i want the "exact" one i dig out of a rabbit. Makes it seem better. So when i look at it and think back, i think that bullet came out of that case, which shot that rabbit ( as you look at a picture of said rabbit lying motionless ), and you can re-live the encounter and enjoy your shooting better.

Or am i just weird ? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP: I did exactly this as a dangerously curious 12 year old with some .22 blanks which I forced the crimp open on. I, like you, poured out the powder and had a poke around inside the case with a nail to get every last bit of powder out. Same shocking result. I then *hypothetically* thought it'd be interesting to crimp a bit of lead solder in a blank and set it off in a length of brake line in a vice. The lead solder shot through both sides of a carboard box. Next was the homemade cannon (powder from the blanks), the coke can launcher, the rocket powered action man.......

I can't believe you did this as an adult, but if sharing it prevents another bright spark from qualifying for a Darwin Award, it's worth doing. The fact that most of us are still here despite an interest in things that go bang, gives credence to the existence of angels.

Edited by sterling

When we were kids we used to nick the strips of primers from my dads Hilti gun-then hit them with a hammer on the patio.Oh the fun we had having bits of concrete hitting our faces! Looking back though,i can see what we did was pretty daft and age does kinda give you a better insight. :lol: