Want a gun dog but work away 2 weeks out of 5

claydog

Hi

I am new to shooting and this site so firstly hello to every one here.

I am looking at getting a cocker spaniel gun dog/pup but i work away 2 weeks out of every 5!!! The 3 weeks i do get off i don't work at all so i have loads of time to train the dog will the 2 week gap work against me when it comes to training the dog?

Also is a cocker spaniel one of the easier dogs to train?

Thanks in advance

Depends on what you want the dog for. I have labradors, mainly because I use them for picking up/peg/hide dog. If you are looking for a dog for rough shooting or beating then a cocker would be a good bet.

Not sure how to answer the working away part, do you have someone who can look after it while you are away at work? If so shouldnt be a problem as long as you put lots of time in when you are home.

FIRST TRAIN THE TRAINER, In my opinion providing both trainers use EXACTLY the same commands then the dog should be OK, the trouble comes when wives allow children to play with the pup, and all the training :- down ,sit, stay,heel go out the window.

Keep us all informed mate, good luck

What do you propose to do with the dog when you are away?

At the moment my girlfriend will be having the dog while I am away. She is from a farming background and has family that still own farm land that we live next door too. But during the day the dog will still be on its own for 8 hours.

She says she can keep up with the training but not in a way I will be able if that makes sense?

I am putting a lot of thought in to this as I don’t want to waste a good dogs ability if i can only give it a 100% while I am home for 3 weeks. I am also going to get some advice from my local gun dog trainer.

Any advice would be good thanks

Wow 2 on 3 off? That's a he'll of a rotation! What do you do?

working in the offshore oil & gas industry of Aberdeen, if it was just a pet dog then this would not be a problem! its a problem because i want a gun dog and i know it needs %100 commitment from me.

Thanks

Depends on what you want the dog for. I have labradors, mainly because I use them for picking up/peg/hide dog. If you are looking for a dog for rough shooting or beating then a cocker would be a good bet.

Not sure how to answer the working away part, do you have someone who can look after it while you are away at work? If so shouldnt be a problem as long as you put lots of time in when you are home.

Thanks for the advice,

yes it is rough shooting and beating i am interested in. My girlfriend will be looking after the dog while i am away so she would be able to keep up with training. as i said in my first post i am new to this and agree with malantone to first train the trainer so i shall not be rushing in to this.

working in the offshore oil & gas industry of Aberdeen, if it was just a pet dog then this would not be a problem! its a problem because i want a gun dog and i know it needs %100 commitment from me.

Thanks

Diver? I thought the rig guys all did 4/2 or similar! I thought my mate who was doing 6/2 I north Africa was on a good deal. I have agonised or a similar situation for years, but have decided against it for now

If your dog gets controlled exercise when you're away but some one to one time with your girlfriend I wouldn't worry too much about it. Plenty of folks leave their dogs kennelled 8 hours a day or longer, and if you are able to put serious time into the dog for the 3 weeks you are off you should be able to make a good job of it.

On the other side its company when you are away, as for yours beardo can't you just extol the virtues of exercise ;)

If you have someone to look after the dog who will listen to you with regard to training it really shouldn't be that much of a problem. Not ideal and maybe better suited to a lab but possible.

Edited by al4x

Thanks

Dont let him kid you all on about working offshore he is employed to work offshore. (I know because he sits at a desk not to far from the one I use)

Welcome to the PW forum "Mick" and be prepaired for all sorts of comments,good & bad, slagging and praise depending on what you post and how you word it from other members (myself included). You will learn a lot by searching the various topic forums from guns & gun dogs to how to cook your own dinner (when your GF is out walking the dog) and I wont say anything to the boss about all the time you are spending on PW & the WWW

Cheers,

BBL

Edited by big bad lindz

At the moment my girlfriend will be having the dog while I am away. She is from a farming background and has family that still own farm land that we live next door too. But during the day the dog will still be on its own for 8 hours.

She says she can keep up with the training but not in a way I will be able if that makes sense?

I am putting a lot of thought in to this as I don’t want to waste a good dogs ability if i can only give it a 100% while I am home for 3 weeks. I am also going to get some advice from my local gun dog trainer.

Any advice would be good thanks

Hi there.

Sorry mate but if you intend to get a young dog which will be kept on its own for 8 hours a day, thats totally unacceptable.

If you went to any Dog Rescue Centre and offered to re home a dog and told them that, they would chase you.

Its just not the right time for you to own a dog I'm afraid

Hi there.

Sorry mate but if you intend to get a young dog which will be kept on its own for 8 hours a day, thats totally unacceptable.

If you went to any Dog Rescue Centre and offered to re home a dog and told them that, they would chase you.

then the answer must be get two pups

• 3 weeks later...

i "work"/spend 2 weeks offshore in every 5 week too and me and the mrs are thinking long and hard about getting a lab to train up which won't be left much during the day as she won't be working and we have no kids to spoil the dog she also likes the idea of the training too as she enjoys watchin the trials at the few game fairs we have attended so reading between the lines as long as we both use the same commands the dog will ok with the situation of me going away? :good:

Hi there.

fella i would say half if not more of the members on here will leave the dogs kennled for 8 hours of more day if the dog has food water and space there should be no problems leaving your dog for 8 hours during the day as long as it gets a good walk before you leave for work and 2-3 big walks when you get home its no problem i am not saying its ideal but you have to work to feed it and pay its vet bills and all . do you get up during the night and play and walk your dog or do you sleep for 8 hours a night not all dog sleep all night :hmm::hmm: Edited by cocker3

• 2 weeks later...

fella i would say half if not more of the members on here will leave the dogs kennled for 8 hours of more day if the dog has food water and space there should be no problems leaving your dog for 8 hours during the day as long as it gets a good walk before you leave for work and 2-3 big walks when you get home its no problem i am not saying its ideal but you have to work to feed it and pay its vet bills and all . do you get up during the night and play and walk your dog or do you sleep for 8 hours a night not all dog sleep all night :hmm::hmm:

I do have to work your right, when i am at home for 3 weeks it will get 3 to 4 walks every day and all the time it needs because other than a few games of golf i have nothing to do. Hoping to join a shooting syndicate soon so when i do go shooting it can come with me!!!! thats when we are both ready. So the only time it will be left on its own during the day for 8 hours is when i am offshore for two weeks at a time.

plus the muses is really keen on training it too so she will be using all the same commands and stuff.

and i m hoping to get a big outside kennel so it will have loads of room in there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi claydog, you are the only one who can make the decision, I'm lucky my dogs are only left 3 to 4 hrs in any one period, but in the real world many folk will leave their dog longer, due to work commitment ect and as said before you have to put food on the table. Good luck with your choice of dog and I hope he/she brings you all the enjoyment and excitement often found in these fantastic working breads.

Regards

Carl

Hi there.

My dog-dogs have allways been on their own for 12hr plus in the pen outside BUT I HAVE TWO,food and water no problems. The dogs are for doing a job not for stroking and pampering

And dont get a dog from a rescue center.in my opinion they should all be closed and the animals should be put down and not rehomed.

Interesting comment from Albert888 which I can't agree with, but to stay on topic...

I think it's more of a problem leaving a puppy on it's own for 8 hours, it's not something that would happen normally and IME they don't do well for it. You could consider a part trained dog. It will be older so more resilient, on it's way to being trained but you will still be able to mould and finesse it to your needs. Will cost more initially of course.

Interesting comment from Albert888 which I can't agree with, but to stay on topic...

I think it's more of a problem leaving a puppy on it's own for 8 hours, it's not something that would happen normally and IME they don't do well for it. You could consider a part trained dog. It will be older so more resilient, on it's way to being trained but you will still be able to mould and finesse it to your needs. Will cost more initially of course.

Sorry should of added got my first dog at 9 month old trained to a reasonable standard,then i felt sorry for it and got another 9 month old about 6 months after and whatever they did to it i wouldnt trust it with anyone else or around kids this was form a home that should not of been aloud to own a dog.

I am not in a position to own a pup due to work,and i think your option would be best.