Foxes and rimfires

Hi fellas

I know this has prob been done to death

Me and one of my mates have this age old argument about shooting foxes with rimfires I personally thinkits an innapropriate calibre to shoot foxes with,Essex police don't allow it either,he on the other hand thinks its acceptable,. I know a rimfire is more than capable of killing a fox with a well placed shot-but so is an air rifle if your stupid enough to shoot one with it! I just think with a rimfire there's to much margin for error, I know you can kill them and I'm sure a few people do I just want honest opinions.

I'm talking about a normal 22lr to not WMRs ok.

Cheers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A can of worms :yes:

I can group a 22l/r in 6mm out to 50 yrds easy :yes:

Chucking 40 grains of lead into foxs head at that distance :yp:

Lets just say i wouldn't fancy me chances :lol:

22l/r is not the toy people think it is and very under estimated :P

Why is it a stupid question? :P

Because your argument is about something you have no experience of judging buy your signature :P

.22 DAYSTATE AIR RANGER 40ftlb FAC + MTC VIPER 6-24x56IR

.22 WEIHRAUCH HW100K + HAWKE 3-12x50IR

.22 WEIHRAUCH HW45

12G BERETTA 686 SILVER PIGEON 1

.410 DOUBLE BARREL HAMMER

TO MUCH FISHING GEAR!

FULL B.A.S.C MEMBER.

Because your argument is about something you have no experience of judging buy your signature :P

.22 DAYSTATE AIR RANGER 40ftlb FAC + MTC VIPER 6-24x56IR

.22 WEIHRAUCH HW100K + HAWKE 3-12x50IR

.22 WEIHRAUCH HW45

12G BERETTA 686 SILVER PIGEON 1

.410 DOUBLE BARREL HAMMER

TO MUCH FISHING GEAR!

FULL B.A.S.C MEMBER.

I've used my mates rimfire for years thank you very much do you now me no,. Why are some people complete pricks all the time can't you have a serious discussion without taking the **** from behind your keyboard? How do you know I have no experience!

418704_2826369611139_1015995846_2853447_1750105299_n.jpg

Excellent!

I've used my mates rimfire for years thank you very much do you now me no,. Why are some people complete pricks all the time can't you have a serious discussion without taking the **** from behind your keyboard? How do you know I have no experience!

Excellent!

Ok you put a 6" post 40 yrds away shoot it with a 22 l/r it goes straight through , but somehow you think a fox is beyond its capability :o maybe not the weapon of choice but will do the job :yp:

To be fair i wasn't taking the **** but you and a few others talk about rim fires as if there a toy and in my eyes there no toy :no:

Ok you put a 6" post 40 yrds away shoot it with a 22 l/r it goes straight through , but somehow you think a fox is beyond its capability :o maybe not the weapon of choice but will do the job :yp:

To be fair i wasn't taking the **** but you and a few others talk about rim fires as if there a toy and in my eyes there no toy :no:

Thank you magman for a serious answer,I know full well they are not a toy,and they are more than capable of killing foxes and in my younger days I have shot a few with a rimfire,i just don't think they are the right gun for the job sorry I should of made that clearer in my first post. I was merely asking what everyone else thinks is appropriate.

Edited by tomhw100

Hi mate,IMO a rimfire at sensible ranges is ok. :good: But hear to many saying that they have shot foxes at at stupid distances.its ok if they have killed it clean but what happens when they have just wounded it. :angry:

IMO a centre fire is the only rifle i use,but have shot a few with rimfire over the years.

Don't let the PW member get to you, we all have our opinions on different shooting methods. :good: Terry

Hi mate,IMO a rimfire at sensible ranges is ok. :good: But hear to many saying that they have shot foxes at at stupid distances.its ok if they have killed it clean but what happens when they have just wounded it. :angry:

IMO a centre fire is the only rifle i use,but have shot a few with rimfire over the years.

Don't let the PW member get to you, we all have our opinions on different shooting methods. :good: Terry

Cheers terry! :good:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :hmm:

i have shot two foxes with .22lr,both have been opurtunist shots whilst i was out for rabbits,where the fox has walked up to me to within a distance of no more than 30yds when i have shot them with a heart shot and they have both dropped dead on the spot.A rimfire is more than capable of killing a fox at SENSIBLE ranges

atb dave

No caliber is the appropriate one in all circumstances all of the time.

Each caliber has its pluses and minuses for individual scenarios. For close range work (up to 50 yards) in some sensitive environments nothing beats a moderated .22rf. I've used one for years in such situations and never found it lacking.

Would I chose it as a general foxing caliber, of course not. Would I shoot deer at long range in the highlands with a .243, of course not, I'd chose a larger caliber.

It's all about choosing the right tool for the job in hand.

No margin for error, it has sufficient power if shot placement is perfect but in the field things happen that dont on totally static paper targets. for that reason i don't personally, lancs wont have it anyway and i aint asking, better tools for the job :good: . i see no real problem with shooting foxes that way over bait in gardens etc and them being used for dispatch of much larger farm animals though.

The humble .22 lr has killed some pretty big and even dangerous animals in its day, it is no "toy"