Any Northern Ireland pigeons taken yet?

woodcock1

Wasn't out to early this morning because I figured the weather would mean the birds probably not in hurry to feed. I was proved correct on that score at least. However, when eventually I did get out and about every other gun in the country appeared to have decided it was national pigeon shooting day :crazy: .

I had two fields looked out and there were guns in both. I guess this is the silly month for pigeon shooting. 1st there are the idiots who really don't know much and sit in a field and shoot at anything that comes within half a mile. I seen three of those today :no:. terrible to watch and funny at the same time.

Then there's the pheasant brigade. Seen at least one of those today. Thank the gods they all disappear in a month or so. I had a third field on ground that is closed, but I am letting the birds to build up.

Gave up, came home, having a beer. :drinks: oh well, I think a wee bit of mid week sport is in order to avoid the hoards.

Edited by Dr D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pass some cracking fields on way to work around killyleagh balloo lisbane comber. There was two fields of rape on hills at killyleagh, just interested to see if anyone on here shoots them and how they fared?

i think those two fields are strictly no shooting.

That's a real pity, that explains why I always see so many pigeons about them, always sitting on the wires. Looks like Good decoying county round those parts, think I saw a field of goose decoys last Monday morning too, geese must be using the stubbles, that was closer to balloo lisbane.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

out on saturday only a modest 12 and a few crow bit of a disaster from the start ,set up hide in the "perfect spot" put out the deks and settled in, birds began to move all looked good then the dog jumped up with a yelp then another and another scared the **** out of me really , turns out i had set up camp on top of a wasps nest :blush: and two of the ******* were viciously stinging the nose of the springer :blink: she was bit shaken up but non the worse ! i had to relocate to a spot that wasnt exactly on the flight line but managed a dozen in the next two hours before the farmer began spraying the other side of the hedge :sick: decided to call it a day , might try again during the week though :yes: .

out on saturday only a modest 12 and a few crow bit of a disaster from the start ,set up hide in the "perfect spot" put out the deks and settled in, birds began to move all looked good then the dog jumped up with a yelp then another and another scared the **** out of me really , turns out i had set up camp on top of a wasps nest :blush: and two of the ******* were viciously stinging the nose of the springer :blink: she was bit shaken up but non the worse ! i had to relocate to a spot that wasnt exactly on the flight line but managed a dozen in the next two hours before the farmer began spraying the other side of the hedge :sick: decided to call it a day , might try again during the week though :yes: .

where about's are you sharkeyes? pigeons are difficult to get on at the minute. managed a dozen or so myself at the weekend, but nothing great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big big numbers around at the minute. My mate shot 60 on Sat.

agree, but the weather is mild so they can still be hit or miss. i find most of birds decoy in the afternoon, not really wintertime shooting. we need frost.

Edited by Dr D