National Angling Survey

sandspider

there has been many debates about this subject in the fishing world...

seems many are not happy with the angling trust....i don't know now how it stands, but many sea anglers were worried about more MCZ being put in place resulting in no fishing... but couldn't see much support to get rid of illegal netters .......

ile leave it at ..No comment :yp:

Get rid of Cormorants, & Crayfish would top of my list?

A few years ago I was asked to walk the upper Thames with a chap from the environment agency. He was doing some sort of study on the decline of the upper Thames barbel. It was my task to try to fInd them for him during the close season. As you will know Mike this was no mean feat before the recent stockings. The environment agency had estimated the numbers to be about 13 old fish in total between Cricklade and the round house. During the walk round we had a chat about what the plans were. He said we will put more fish in next year. Before this happens though we have to create new spawning grounds and fry refuge away from the cray fish or it would just be pointless and the barbel numbers would just decline again.

So what happened? They did nothing to the river and just introduced more fish. So we can expect it to decline again soon. Why they did this is anybodys guess

Edited by hendersons

I think that fisheries and anglers can forget about any assistance on the improvement of waters as long as other agencies maintain their positions. The biggest stumbling block is of course the r s p b. Their policies do not include respect for anyone else,s opinions or ambitions. I was talking last week to Scottish enviroment employee who had a licence/permit to shoot over 20 cormerants, the figure was reviewed this year and reduced to 1 yes one 1 There is concern about migatory fish spawning streams. so some clever soul has intoduced beavers I,m sure the beavers will respect the fish by not building dams. I,ts a shame, but the improvement of waters, be they still or flowing would only succeed when those who have a vested interest in the fishing are in a position to take on the wealth and mainly unelected power that would oppose what was nessesary to bring about former glories. It is unfotunate that the effort made to bring about tremendous improvments to water quality was only a means to feed more birds. LOTW

lotw

A few years ago I was asked to walk the upper Thames with a chap from the environment agency. He was doing some sort of study on the decline of the upper Thames barbel. It was my task to try to fInd them for him during the close season. As you will know Mike this was no mean feat before the recent stockings. The environment agency had estimated the numbers to be about 13 old fish in total between Cricklade and the round house. During the walk round we had a chat about what the plans were. He said we will put more fish in next year. Before this happens though we have to create new spawning grounds and fry refuge away from the cray fish or it would just be pointless and the barbel numbers would just decline again.

So what happened? They did nothing to the river and just introduced more fish. So we can expect it to decline again soon. Why they did this is anybodys guess

Thats interesting Nick...Ive been fishing the stretch of the Upper Thames from Cricklade road bridge down through Eysey to Castle Eaton for over 40 years man and boy.

In the mid to late 70,s the Fish stocks were stable..good numbers of Chub, Perch, Barbel, some big shoals of dace, and also quality Roach. Ffish to 1 1/2 pounds were not uncommon which for what is basically a stream in the summer is very good.

By the wooden bridge at Eysey in the gravels there were also some big shoals of Grayling. Club Matches generally you needed 15-20lb plus of fish to win.

The first decline in the 80,s was due in my opinion soley to cormorant predation, I actually counted 17 fishing the Mouth of Ampney brook one earling morning.

A breif recovery in the 90,s has been halted by the American Crays, There are now some really big chub, the odd Perch of size and one or two native Brown trout which eat them, but the Roach, Dace, and small barbel have all but dissapeared.

There are still fish to be found if you know the river and how to go about it and Ive caught some big Barbel and Chub in the last few years, but before where I was sweeping the margins with my landing net to see the levels of fry these have been replaced with bloody Crayfish juveniles about an inch long!

I know there are at least 3 Adult Otters on this stretch because ive seen them and in my opinion it would be good if they could re-establish themselves to levels pre 1970 as rather than be a risk to the fish stocks which are left they would control the burgeoning crayfish numbers and give the native fish species chance to recover.

I still fish the stretch regularly because I love it so much there.... you can spend a day, walk 10 miles and only see the odd rambler. It suits the roving Angler these days who can fish several swims...Im not a fan of match Angling per say but it would be great if stocks recovered to Pre-Cormorant levels to allow a reasonable bag of fish to be caught from the same swim.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

would be nice to see a bailiff walking down the canal bank round here, would have a field day with the polish who drag anything out with a spinner, no licence never get caught as you don't ever see the bailiffs. In the last few years had my licence checked twice by bailiffs both times on private fisheries and a bank holiday weekend, never see them anywhere else or any other time of year

Thats interesting Nick...Ive been fishing the stretch of the Upper Thames from Cricklade road bridge down through Eysey to Castle Eaton for over 40 years man and boy.

In the mid to late 70,s the Fish stocks were stable..good numbers of Chub, Perch, Barbel, some big shoals of dace, and also quality Roach. Ffish to 1 1/2 pounds were not uncommon which for what is basically a stream in the summer is very good.

By the wooden bridge at Eysey in the gravels there were also some big shoals of Grayling. Club Matches generally you needed 15-20lb plus of fish to win.

The first decline in the 80,s was due in my opinion soley to cormorant predation, I actually counted 17 fishing the Mouth of Ampney brook one earling morning.

A breif recovery in the 90,s has been halted by the American Crays, There are now some really big chub, the odd Perch of size and one or two native Brown trout which eat them, but the Roach, Dace, and small barbel have all but dissapeared.

There are still fish to be found if you know the river and how to go about it and Ive caught some big Barbel and Chub in the last few years, but before where I was sweeping the margins with my landing net to see the levels of fry these have been replaced with bloody Crayfish juveniles about an inch long!

I know there are at least 3 Adult Otters on this stretch because ive seen them and in my opinion it would be good if they could re-establish themselves to levels pre 1970 as rather than be a risk to the fish stocks which are left they would control the burgeoning crayfish numbers and give the native fish species chance to recover.

I still fish the stretch regularly because I love it so much there.... you can spend a day, walk 10 miles and only see the odd rambler. It suits the roving Angler these days who can fish several swims...Im not a fan of match Angling per say but it would be great if stocks recovered to Pre-Cormorant levels to allow a reasonable bag of fish to be caught from the same swim.

I may see you on the bank this year Mike as I've just bought a ticket. If not would love to meet up for a pint and a yarn about the Thames one day.

I may see you on the bank this year Mike as I've just bought a ticket. If not would love to meet up for a pint and a yarn about the Thames one day.

No problem,

Would be good to get out for a day... Late summer early Autumn is good for chub fishing on floating crust...can be spectacular on light/medium tackle