17 HMR

RFD CHRIS

What is your opinion on the 17 HMR fantastically flat and fast, zero stays in over a great distance, but is it to light for a fox caliber and to destructive for rabbits.

I really like the caliber but do sometimes struggle with it's use, it's is on the appropriate caliber list for vermin control, and have used it myself to great affect, let's have some opinions from the PW members.

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying its bad I just wondered if you all have some thoughts you could share.

Despite many PW members using the 17HMR for foxing, with good results,I personally won't use one on a fox, unless it was 50 yards or closer to me.

For rabbiting, it's excellent,as long as you take head/neck shots. Mine is zero'd at 100 yards.

:lol: :lol: :lol: no comment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi all.

i do like the idea of getting a hmr i have some hilly land at the back of my permission i thort of just chilling out on top of one of the hills with plenty of safe backstops and downward shots to be had would make a change from walking about with the 22 or the shotgun.

i was put off a bit by the ammo problems but not heard much of that alate.

i was just woundering what people have found there true ranges for rabbit to be ? as i have been told some silly numbers.

The HMR is a rabbit round. The only time I use mine for foxes, other than close range lucky chances when I'm sniping rabbits, is in gardens or paddocks near houses. These will be head shots or right through the ticker if its presented well. Personally I think 100 yds is pushing it for foxes with this round, unless you can nail them under the ear. If I'm after foxes specifically the .222 comes out.

I don't quite understand the issue of excessive meat damage with the HMR. Its not that bad. I do use Winchester (BTs) as oppposed to the otherwise universal Hornady. Maybe the Winnies penetrate further before fragmentation than the Hornadys. Where are people hitting them? I think there are two places to hit a side-on rabbit with a rimfire and thats under the ear or square on the shoulder blade. As with all edible quarry, if you want to eat them or sell them you've got to hit them in the right spot whatever you use.

After twenty or so years shooting Rabbits the HMR has become my no.1 rifle. I have fac air, great for close range shooting but you do need to put in the practise to get the best and most humane results from them. I had a .22lr but had to let that go as it did not fit my uses. The hmr in most average shots hands will be the most humane if head shots are taken, either a complete miss or a hit that will kill them on the spot. Any that are clipped normaly stay around long enough to be dispatched by hand. Just my thoughts about the little round, I know lots hate it but for me it has been a god send and as an air rifle shooter first I can appreciate all it has to offer. As for Fox, my fac has fox on my HMR, I rarly shoot them unless asked to do so but at under 100 yds in still air have not had a runner yet. The hmr is a great Rabbit rifle but not a true Fox rifle if thats your main quarry.

After twenty or so years shooting Rabbits the HMR has become my no.1 rifle. I have fac air, great for close range shooting but you do need to put in the practise to get the best and most humane results from them. I had a .22lr but had to let that go as it did not fit my uses. The hmr in most average shots hands will be the most humane if head shots are taken, either a complete miss or a hit that will kill them on the spot. Any that are clipped normaly stay around long enough to be dispatched by hand. Just my thoughts about the little round, I know lots hate it but for me it has been a god send and as an air rifle shooter first I can appreciate all it has to offer. As for Fox, my fac has fox on my HMR, I rarly shoot them unless asked to do so but at under 100 yds in still air have not had a runner yet. The hmr is a great Rabbit rifle but not a true Fox rifle if thats your main quarry.

I still have your old .22lr and even take it with me when im out in the truck with the hornet.

Out of all the posts regarding the HMR, and there are many :rolleyes: this one i find the most interesting.

I find the round itself to be very accurate, well as long as its not too windy and yes its flat shooting.There again you would expect that when launching such a light bullet at 2550 fps. Regardless of all the hype around the time it was conceived it has failed to impress me to the point that i can honestly say WOW! :no:

I think it has gained its popularity with shooters who are relatively new to the game as it were.

Ask any experienced shooter and the vast majority will tell you that the humble 22lr is still the tool of choice when it comes to rabbiting, especially under the lamp. After all, why try and re-invent the wheel. However the HMR does have its place where extended range is required or there are ricochet issues but i for one do not consider it suitable for fox, simple as. I do think as well that some of the ranges that people claim to be using them at are, well perhaps a little optimistic shall we say. It will never be a 200 yard rifle despite what folk may think.

I am currently thinking of replacing my HMR as i have found it is not the ideal "walkabout" gun that i hoped it would be when i bought it. Therefore i'm considering either a 222 or 223 although i do quite fancy the idea of a Hornet.

Basically i'm looking for a calibre that will fit somewhere inbetween my 22lr and my 243 and the HMR will have to go toward funding this purchase, :good:

ATB,

Pat

hi all.

i do like the idea of getting a hmr i have some hilly land at the back of my permission i thort of just chilling out on top of one of the hills with plenty of safe backstops and downward shots to be had would make a change from walking about with the 22 or the shotgun.

i was put off a bit by the ammo problems but not heard much of that alate.

i was just woundering what people have found there true ranges for rabbit to be ? as i have been told some silly numbers.

Never had any issues with Winchesters beyond the occasional non-fire - about 1 in 200 rounds and these have always fired after re-cocking without removing.

Most of my rabbits are shot between 90 and 130 yds, with 150 yds my ball-park maximum. Furthest shot was 184 yds but I don't routinely push it byond 150/160. There's just too much margin for error with holdover and wind deflection.

So 90 to 130 yds bread and butter shots, out to 150 reliable with good stance and sensible conditions.

I would agree that 17HMR does simply not have the clout to deal with charlie unless a head shot can be gauranteed. I am using a 17 Hornet, this has taken fox to 150 yards yes but it would not be my first choice fox caliber. This has the same energy that a HMR has at 150 yards or more.

17HMR is a nice round yes, ideal for crows etc out to about 150 yards in good conditions. Personally I think that a 17 centerfire such as 17 Hornet or 17 Fireball fills the gap between 22LR and 20/22 centerfire fox calibers far better than 17HMR. 17 Hornet is coming as a factory round next year, I would wait for that.

A

For me an average nights Rabbit shooting is for enjoyment, a chance to unwind after a days work and keep the Rabbits on the farms I have permission on at an exeptable level. Most have crops or are Dairy or sodding Sheep. Shooting off a bipod is no use, I can't see anything for crops or am covered in *hit and still can't see anything as the land is fairly flat.

FAC air on many has left me wanting in the range department, big fields and lack of cover. The .22lr has thrown a lot of bouncers for me and Dairy and Sheep farms are not the place for that ( yes Kent I know the HMR does that too ;-)) so that has left me with the HMR as the best of the bunch. I shoot always off sticks which are not as steady as a bipod but pretty good, the set up I have is as humane as I can get for control of Rabbits on the farms I shoot.

atvb Paul.

Since getting my .17 I don't even use my .22 anymore, as all my permissions are big I have no need for it anymore and have even thought about selling it, people complain that it's more expensive round, but I don't find £10/50 hornady blue tips to bad a price, keep it to head shots and you will find its a great bullet on bullet round, can't say I've shot a fox with it so I can't comment on that,but would think a head shot on one at 50-75 would do the job wouldn't risk a boiler room shot tho...

I use my hmr for rabbits and foxes mostly under 100 yards with no problems.

On a calm day the hmr is capable of taking rabbits at 200 yards+ if you get the drop right.

Most of my permissions are open so a .22 wouldnt be suited. Today was hot and calm out and I shot a rabbit with about 3" hold over the top of the ear at 200 yards. Rifle is 0'd slightly high at 100. when we go lamping we normally have the hmr and .243 so the foxes get 100gr from the .243.

I have pushed the hmr out to 150 before and again today twice in the same field on 2 foxes and hadnt any problems dropping them.There was no wind and when you know the drop you can put the bullet in the right place. Wouldnt use it as a first choice for a dedicated foxing rifle though when there is such a bigger selection of centre fire rifles these days.

On a calm day the hmr is capable of taking rabbits at 200 yards+ if you get the drop right.

I'd agree its capable - I believe the HMR is still carrying 25 ft/lb at 600 yards - don't know about the + bit though. BUT.... My 184 yarder struck the rabbit in the spine behind the ribcage. It knocked it off its feet and broke the spine cleanly. So no doubt it had the energy for a humane kill; but I was aiming for the shoulder so I was some way off. It was a bit of a hit and hope really. That shot with the .222 would be a sitter. Aim dead on, and the wind, unless its bending trees or lifting your hat, would have no effect.

I think if you're taking shots beyond 160 yds regularly with an HMR you've got the wrong rifle. The .17 (or .22) Hornet sounds to me much more like a day to day 200 yd rabbit rifle.

The triple is good beyond 300 but its expensive and with some carcases even the ferrets don't know where to start with whats left.

I've only had my HMR for neatly a year or so but have to admit I love it.

I don't think it will ever replace my 22lr though. For rabbit control on our crops fields and pastures I put most of my work in during the winter months with the lamp and without a doubt the 22lr still ticks the box for me.

I find however the HMR comes into its own during the lighter months for longer range evening and early dawn "daylight" shooting when I can't get as close to the rabbits etc and need the longer range / flatter round.

I also prefer the HMR during summer when it's dry due the number of whistlers and ricochets the 22lr can give!

If I had to choose between them my 22lr would be the winner though.

Well you seem to have made one despite you trying to cover it up. So let all know what the joke is then.???

He's referring to a couple of rabbits that I missed (most with the 1st shot) when I went shooting with him recently. When I checked my scope on my return home, I found that it was 1" out to the left at 100 yards. Now it's spot on, so I won't miss any more ( :rolleyes: ) :)

I think HMR should be the recommended first calibre for new shooters. It's easy to use and effective up to 150yds in good conditions. Pretty flat to 120yds and not too bad in a light wind at that distance. Meat damage is a bit variable, but even with a heart shot you can simply chop of the front quarter of the rabbit and take the back where most of the meat is.

A shot bang on the front shoulder smashes the bone and destroys the heart every time, they don't run from that.

What is your opinion on the 17 HMR fantastically flat and fast, zero stays in over a great distance, but is it to light for a fox caliber and to destructive for rabbits.

I really like the caliber but do sometimes struggle with it's use, it's is on the appropriate caliber list for vermin control, and have used it myself to great affect, let's have some opinions from the PW members.

Please don't get me wrong I am not saying its bad I just wondered if you all have some thoughts you could share.

Flat and fast, yes.... fantastically so... maybe ?, a rifle is either on zero or it isnt, the .17 HMR is known to to be flat and on zero out to 150m or so after that it is the skill, judgement of conditions, holdover and application of the marksmanship principles that will determin if the shot is to be sucessful or not. I am quite happy taking a bead on a rabbit over 200m, best shot so far is at 238m, clean shoulder shot, im fortunate that my ground allows this kind of shot, conditions play a large part and to some degree I now think that my Weihrauch hw60j and the Busnell Elite 6500 on top also allows me to consider the longer shot, as does the many rounds fired at paper targets practicing these type of shots. Some might say why bother just get closer, the round is very capable so why not match its capability with youre own marksmanship when the shot presents itself. The .17hmr round is potent for its size and a head or neck/shoulder shot will ensure that you have a decent result for the pot. As for charlie, a short range opertunistic shot may result in a kill, Heard more often than not that a second and third shot have to be taken to do the job, but if you are seriously looking at reducing the fox population on a permission then an alternative calibre would be needed.