Does HiFi still exist

DSPUK

Years ago I was into HiFi or in money terms MidFi - Logic 101 Supex e - Linn Basic arm - Audiolab 8000 and Pair of B&W mid size on stands and then came "Surround sound" Yes super - Got new 7.1 amp and surround sound speakers -- Duh - not so good.

Having all that kit was great if you could find a well produced record and I think the worst was U2 - totally rubbish recording - Now don't carry on about U2 as I think Bonio is a bone but "Everything but the Girl" made wonderfully clear crisp recordings - It was always a pleasure to listen to. - Now to point - just read this and now understand why - seems musicians only listen to how well it's played not how well it sounds.

http://news.cnet.com...=news&tag=title

Dave

Sounds right to me :(

Back in 1978 I went mad and invested in a pair of KEF 105ab speakers and a Rotel 1412 amp, cost me almost £700 at the time and my mum nearly died of a heart attack when she found out the price! (good job I didn't mention the turntable, SME arm or cartridge) :D

However . . the sound quality was superb and I still have the amp and speakers 34 years later!, didn't go down to well at work as I used to work for Ferrograph who made tape recorders and Hi Fi, could have got their stuff with a good discount but there was simply no comparison in sound quality.

Got a first pressing copy of "Joan Armatrading" the recording quality is one of the best I've heard and will show up any flaws in a system, almost all of my friends had Technics or Sony "Hi Fi" systems and after comparing them they were not happy bunnies. It really pains me when I go to someones house and they rave about how much bass there super "Hi Fi" system can put out and how loud it goes but are completely unaware of the awful sound quality.

Time for my Audiophiles Meeting I think, Hello, my name is Jeff and I am an audio snob (and I'm turning into Victor Meldrew) :(

Edited by phaedra1106

I was going to mention joan - I had her very first albumn "What ever's for us" - went to see her at Wolverhampton and she was absolutely brilliant - sounded as good as LP or other way round.

My first turntable was Pioneer 12d - remember them - with a Shure cartridge.-- Ah! good old days

Now I have a Onkio 606 with wall mounted speakers and it's a poor come down but I only have a small lounge now and couldn't get a decent system in -- Oh and I am going deaf so it's all academic.

Have to say I like this new format - just as I am replying to one post I got an alert there is another.

I also have a mate who has £k's of Linn - all now stacked in his conservatory - I think he has a small Bose system now.

Dave

Edited by DSPUK

I miss my old cyrus amp - it packed up a couple of years ago after 20+ years service and I bought another (cheaper) amp. The sound quality just isn't there though, so I packed the lot away until I can afford/justify another good amp.

Once you've re-created that concert in your living room, nothing else is good enough and I just find I'm super-critical of the quality rather than enjoying the music. The Mrs used to go ape about the volume, but it was awesome with the cyrus amp. Until I can get back to that sound quality I just can't bear to listen anything substandard.

It's still out there and I have heard and seen some serious systems iPods have killed it for most tho......Oh and there are plenty of surround sound systems out there that will compete..... PMC are my current fav but actives are the way forward..... That's what all the concerts use!

Edited by HDAV

My old system included NAD, Tannoy, Denon & Pioneer. Last year my Wife said she was fed up looking at massive floorstanding speakers and that she had seen the Bose set up at the ideal home exhibition!

Well all the Hi-Fi stuff is all sold now with a couple of nice items recently donated to the local CHAS (Childrens Hospice Association Scotland) shop for them to make a few quid on. Got to say I am pretty impressed with Bose's Lifestyle system especially now that i have tied in a SONOS system so I can stream music via Napster so can have free flowing music throughout the house!

Whilst it could be argued that it doesnt compete in true audiophile terms of a top end seperate system, the Bose Lifestyle is a fantastic piece of kit and brings a smile to my face whither its Mike Oldfield, Marillion or Iron Maiden pumping out, as long as its loud its good!! lol

HDAV trust me I know there are better systems out there for the money BUT they dont tick the boxes like the current set up does, in fact they dont come close ;) I always laugh how audiophiles scoff at Bose systems. I always wonder if they have actually listen to them outwith a shop??? I think it is much better than it is given credit for. It does not however compare with floorstanding high end Hi-fi but there again thats not what Bose is about ;)

I've installed and removed Bose in rough equal amounts.....your not going miss much from sonos through a Bose but CD you will of it bothers or not that's up to u I used sell Bose and B&O now avoid both if I can...... The Bose effect is massively dependant on room dimensions and layout more so than most. For lifestyle looks and decent performance Canton and Anthony Gallo are my preferred options partnered with decent electronics for better performance PMC wafers are stunning

And can both the Canton & Anthony Gallo (sounds like a wine lol) be done for the same cash as the Bose? Mine is installed in a nice big rectangular lounge approx 25ft x 18ft and I have to say it sounds spot on when I am playing decent quality tracks, granted it aint going to be great when streaming low quality tracks but nothing really does :)

I am interested if you think either of those mentioned can be done for less and sound better??

Cheaper than? It has to be a blind test ( which I have done in the past) but I think so

I'm not trying to convince you to change your new system, just pointing out there are alternatives I have a client who went from b&w to PMC and was stunned by the performance.....

Edit both are speakers only and need partnering to suitable electronics and interface

Edited by HDAV

Ok not trying to take this thread too far off track and will remove if the op wants it and I will take this via PM with HDAV if requested?

What I want to know is I spent approx £2.5k (approx) purchasing a Bose Lifestyle V25 (pretty sure it is) and Sonos Zone Player 90 connected to it, also a Sonos bridge to allow Wi-fi upstairs.

I will be purcasing a Sonos Connect Amp to tie into either Bose or B&W ceiling speakers in bedroom & Ensuite, probably another £700-800 ish.

For what I spent could you give me:

A. All components required to supply lounge, bedroom & Ensuite

B. Discreet speakers

C: Streaming music from internet/Hard drive

D: Ipod connection

If you can I will be impressed becuase as I say Bose does what it does, it aint the best sound but it does a job and it does it pretty good in my opinion :) Interested to see your response :)

Bose in ceilings and b&w aren't great personally I use speakercraft or canton for most unceiling jobs all are much of a muchness at various price categories sonos is a decent system and any avr can do what Bose head unit does with a £50 blu-ray player including muliple zones infact many of the functions are duplicated if you want a really indepth conversation about it try www.avforums.com

Onkyo or Yamaha avr + speakers + blu-ray and sonos

My mate had an Onkyo surround Amp and was using Tannoy speakers (pretty nice looking efforts), it was average sound at best. To be fair I dont know which model it was so maybe a cheapy? but from memory he claimed he had paid a decent sum for the Amp. It then packed in at around 13months old never to be repaired by Onkyo! It also looked **** IMO. It didnt come close to the Bose sound if truth be told. In fact my old NAD and Wharfedale/Tannoy combo was better than it and it was a few years old.

They do say that the old stuff with glass valves if you can find one gives a much softer sound with good speakers I have got a stack of records but nothing to play them on good equipment is so expensive today and cheep stuff is as it says on the box cheep and sounds tiny.

You can pick up good stuff cheap second hand particularly integrated amps and speakers then a turntable £200 if your canny....

I'm running a 150w Pioneer amp with a pair of 250w Acoustic Solution speakers in the house.

Have 2 600w Auna subs run through a Fli 900w in the car :good: ]

Suspect that many people are claiming better systems than they actually have and just saying they have the best there is when they have a radio casette :P