lack of knowledge throughout the shooting community

Tel Time

It is becoming very clear to me that the shooting community as a whole is very uneducated in respect of what it can/cannot shoot, the law and how we stand, what my uncles , mates, best friend said you can do that, and shed loads of other rubbish, the average licence holder applies, receives, goes and shoots pigeons, does he know what a rock dove is? does he know how a racing pigeon fly's? does he know he cannot use a device to flash blind them as they come in to his net? i would welcome a chance to air this in an open discussion or if deemed too sensitive then via pm, please ask anything relevant and no offense intended, this is where it started

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/217757-new-game-dealer-required/ if you can take the time to read through then you will get what i mean,

Terry

SGC holder

FAC holder

i love my shooting and would stand at the front to protect my right to do so.

The reason i started this is because i only just found out that i cannot sell geese i shoot due to a 1968 act brought in to stop commercial exploitation of geese by a few idiots out for gain who nearly wiped out a species on this island.

Edited by Tel Time

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i get the feeling that most people would rather bury their heads in the sand than discuss, its why we as a community will eventually lose all our shooting rights, and guess who will moan the loudest, whats the reason you started it?

Terry,

The great majority of people on here are well informed - know about the detail of the General Licence and the N'th degree of firearms law. Those that know less ask questions and get good answers as a rule. The goose selling rule is one of the first you tend to be aware of if you start wildfowling and even then its only of passing interest as anyone who is a proper wildfowler takes what he needs and no more.

Take some time and check the answers given by the knowledgeable guys to silly questions to which shooters should know the answer. Ignorance of the sport is one thing the cognoscenti on here tend not to tolerate.

If I might respectfully suggest that starting a post basically accusing people of being uneducated is not likely to endear yourself to the group. It's too pejorative a term and there are many failed threads on PW that start more or less in the same way.

Perhaps a 'Did You Know' shooting type topic would start you off on a better footing?

Just a thought. And good luck, new knowledge of our sport is never a bad thing.

I think you have it the wrong way round,as a whole most of the shooting community are well educated on the quarry they hunt.Occasionally you may step out of your normal quarry and go to shoot something totally different,sensible shooters look for the answers,and if they cannot find an answer then they will ask the shooting community as a whole,usually in the form of a forum debate.

If you look at most of the questions asked on this forum,quite early on a definitive answer is given,the posts after that usually go on to pick the bones of the answer apart,and look at it in minute detail,this sometimes can be frustrating,but can also bring up a lot of interesting sub questions and other points on the original question,a good example of this is the thread running now about policemen taking guns,it has gone in many directions and thoughts.

Most shooters have the luxury of older members of their community,friends Father etc,to pass on knowledge,those that do not have that luxury have forums like this which have a wealth of information.

It is ultimately up to the individual to seek information,and the buck stops with no one else.

If I might respectfully suggest that starting a post basically accusing people of being uneducated is not likely to endear yourself to the group. It's too pejorative a term and there are many failed threads on PW that start more or less in the same way.

Did you miss...

The reason i started this is because i only just found out that i cannot sell geese i shoot due to a 1968 act

?

Nial

Its all fun and games isn't it.

right up until the cell door slams behind your **** or your wallet is a couple of grand lighter.

Seriously these newbies on here are letting the community down...again

Did you read the edit i put in that pointed you to the thread that started all this? or did you decide to just throw a prattle in without doing any background work? maybe some of you should take some advice, i wont come visit but i sure as hell would step into your permission's when you lost every right to shoot through lack of knowledge, and that comment about the buck stops with you is spot on, your problem not mine, that's why we will lose.

Did you read the edit i put in that pointed you to the thread that started all this? or did you decide to just throw a prattle in without doing any background work? maybe some of you should take some advice, i wont come visit but i sure as hell would step into your permission's when you lost every right to shoot through lack of knowledge, and that comment about the buck stops with you is spot on, your problem not mine, that's why we will lose.

You are very successfully proving my point. Crikey some mothers do 'ave em :no:

Signed TB (annoying newbie)

Its all fun and games isn't it.

right up until the cell door slams behind your **** or your wallet is a couple of grand lighter.

You taking the **** mate ???

You have only just found out you cannot sell geese :hmm:

never been able to shoot them before magman so i went looking for advice, NE told me canadas were protected at all times, the gen license says otherwise, who do you go to for info when you are after a new quarry, or do you just shoot it and hope thats ok?

[quote name=Me'

timestamp='1344887692' post='1871362]

I'm also not arguing that some people in the community need a lot more education

couldn't agree more :thumbs:

This forum is not a good sample of the whole, I'm constantly amazed at how some managed to complete the application forms let alone get a certificate, I wonder how many people send in the application in crayon......

Jesus but that is such an arrogant comment!

There may well be some newbies who ask silly questions and indeed I was probably one of them, there's a fair chance of me asking a silly question in the future too, bu at least they are asking!

Maybe you'd be better off getting down from your high horse and passing on some of your wisdom rather than slating people who ask the question. Even pointing them in the direction of the general licence is something worth doing so that they know where the information is.

You may have been on here for years, but i'm pretty sure that doesn't make you an expert!