Big Cat Sightings?

^mimic^

1) 2,123 sightings of big cats were reported between April 2004 and July 2005.

2) New evidence published includes a skull found by a Devon farmer in July 2005 that has now been identified as that of a puma

3) three reported attacks on horses;

4) over 35 incidents regarding sheep kills;

5) several confirmed 'big cat' paw prints of which plaster casts were taken;

6) During the study over half a dozen 'big cat' hair samples were collected.

Like I said nothing concrete, not winding anyone up, but 1,2,5,6, of the above could be fabricated. Not long ago on telly a trapper from Canade came over & proved that all the sheep kills were dogs kills, as for the horses, who knows...........!

What I'm basically saying is, either someone catches one, or turns up with a body, or this type of debate will go on forever.

BJ.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good friend of family, used to be head dog handler/trainer for the police round here, about 15 years ago he was asked to train dogs to track a pair lynx, that where somewhere loose in the midlands, dont know if they where wild or escaped from a zoo or something, but thats what he had to do, just another example, not concrete i know, but true

Like I said nothing concrete, not winding anyone up, but 1,2,5,6, of the above could be fabricated. Not long ago on telly a trapper from Canade came over & proved that all the sheep kills were dogs kills, as for the horses, who knows...........!

What I'm basically saying is, either someone catches one, or turns up with a body, or this type of debate will go on forever.

BJ.

Next your gonna start saying that Sasquash and Nessy don't exist! :angry:

Obviously you've never been to Roswell young man.

I grew up on a farm in africa, and have shot Kudu, used to cull cattle, cull impala all with a .22 I agree a .22 is not the right calibre, but it was the way it was done out there, everything was shot in the head using super high velocity rounds (CCI Stingers).

A .22 will have no problem dropping a cat like a leopard or cheetah, not a lion, provided it is in the head .......but I must say, if you do not put that cat down.............good luck!!!!!

He would stand more chance getting up close and personal with a 12g, auto, filled up with only SG................when we used to go up on wounded leopard we used to use either a 5 shot shotty filled up with SG, a .357 or a .44mag..............

but either way he must write his will before hand

That's funny I spoke to an Expert recently in a gun shop, and I asked him about the muzzle energy comparison between a regular round and Stingers (which are said to be Very in-accurate.

He told me that they, both have the same muzzle energy , The stinger is 20 grains lighter than a standard round and carries the same power as an ordinary subsonic. Velocity * Grains = M.E would the rest of you agree?

Too many credible people have reported these sightings and signs, for anyone to claim they are rubbish.

The creatures are out there and keeping well away from man as possible, which is no surprise.

There are wild pigs in Kent, plenty of sign evidence, but they are very, very hard to see.

I would have to agree with you, At first I thought (hmm YEAH.... RIGHT....) And I bet a UFO flew over your house too, But I soon realized I was arrogant, After I spoke to local police and several other gun shops, I found several articles on the news and net, as Crainfield says too many credible people have reported them. The story I got from the police is that many rich Idiot's bought these cats as pets (status simbles) during the 80's, ofcorse they soon got to much for their keepers to handle, so they released them into the countryside.

For god's sake you lot, Haven't you got anything better to do than argue over whether big cats exist in the wild in the UK?

As for shooting one, whoever made the comment about shooting a deer with an FAC air rifle, firstly this is obviously illegal. And secondly there is no way in hell that an FAC air rifle would stop anything bigger than a hare.

I shoot a Canada goose this morning with 36g of No. 1 in hevi shot cleanly and it still wasn't dead.

PLease go back to reality and talk about something constructive.

Cheers

Martin

That's funny I spoke to an Expert recently in a gun shop, and I asked him about the muzzle energy comparison between a regular round and Stingers (which are said to be Very in-accurate.

He told me that they, both have the same muzzle energy , The stinger is 20 grains lighter than a standard round and carries the same power as an ordinary subsonic. Velocity * Grains = M.E would the rest of you agree?

Nope.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

Stinger comes out at about double the "whack" of a standard subsonic.

Don't tell them cats though, the art of surprise ! :angry:

Cheers

AndyCM

For god's sake you lot, Haven't you got anything better to do than argue over whether big cats exist in the wild in the UK?

As for shooting one, whoever made the comment about shooting a deer with an FAC air rifle, firstly this is obviously illegal. And secondly there is no way in hell that an FAC air rifle would stop anything bigger than a hare.

I shoot a Canada goose this morning with 36g of No. 1 in hevi shot cleanly and it still wasn't dead.

PLease go back to reality and talk about something constructive.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

Long time.

I assure you the Dear story is quite true, It was captured on a mobile and i have seen the footage. I did state it was illegal and irresponsible but your repetition of my statement is good for those who missed it the first time round. I was even invited to the roast dinner ( I declined)....the fact is a 54lb Rapid (in .22) took the Dear down.....hard. I told the bloke my thoughts but he did not see the problem.

As far as FAC airifles only being able to take out a hair! Have you seen the F-Carter Classic S310 (big bore gun) which fires .35 balls (60 grain) at 120lb of energy. Now thats one FAC air rifle that would pretty much kill any British animal you pointed it at (head shot).....lets just make sure its legal to anyone reading this (however if you are lucky enough to own one then you are well aware what your quary is...so i won't lord it over you and make you feel silly).

Do we have to talk about something constructive, were having so much fun chatting about urban myths. Kindly join in if you will.

Don't worry mate, practice makes perfect. (wink wink)

BJ.

Well, ( Young Man ) long time since I've being called that COLINSRI, especially now at half a century old,

The same would apply for the likes of Sasquash, Yeti, Nessy, Bigfoot, call them what you will, as Roswell, never being, does it exist?

BJ

BJ.

Well, ( Young Man ) long time since I've being called that COLINSRI, especially now at half a century old,

The same would apply for the likes of Sasquash, Yeti, Nessy, Bigfoot, call them what you will, as Roswell, never being, does it exist?

BJ

Some would lead you believe Roswell happened. Me, I am opened minded but generally don't believe things until i see them with my own two (sober) eyes. Its funny how most UFO sitings are on a Saturday night after chucking out..lol

Col

What is it with me and my stupid mouth, why do I do it? :angry:

Ok sod it here's my opinion.

Now a young lad was killed the other day after a pellet from a sub 12ft lb air rifle hit him in the eye with a standard pellet. (a tragic story) and one has to ask what the hell were, kids doing alone with the gun, why the hell was the gun being pointed at someone (loaded or not) why in gods name did they pull the trigger, Sadly for this young lad, it seems no one took the adequate precautions. http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006390116,00.html

Now the question could a small cal rimfire kill a large animal in the same way id say the answer was obvious.

But The answers I was looking for are the 800 reasons why this would be a Really bad idea.

Ie

Its illegal.

If it misses and wounds it your going to die.

It's not humane to shoot a large animal with an insufficient caliber.

You could loose your F.A.C

It's a protected species

And so on Etc etc

Why are alot of people so skeptical about this? Its not like its a completely impossible idea, I mean, theres plenty of food to sustain a small population of big cats. No bodies have been found I don't think, but then how often do you see a dead deer in the woods? Not very often thats how often! Infact, I've never seen a dead deer, fox or badger other than roadkill.

No bodies have been found I don't think, but then how often do you see a dead deer in the woods? Not very often thats how often! Infact, I've never seen a dead deer, fox or badger other than roadkill.

...........as it happens quite often(apart from badger,as we don`t have many here)I collect 5-10 roe skull a year and I even have a cat skull.