Big Cat Sightings?

^mimic^

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok now listen kids im a little busy right now why dont you go play in the woods, and when your old enough to read a paper pay attention to whats init.... :blink: if that's not enough for you why dont you contact your local police force and ask them..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/5338760.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5353882.stm

Mimic, I am sure that there is maybe one or two cats in the Uk, escaped or released as pets, as for the other thousands of sighting's, could it not be somebody walking their black lab along the brook half a mile away, lab runs from out the tree's for a second, runs back to the owner (owners hidden by the trees), or could it be the big bad puma that saw somone coming and ran and hid (bear in mind this is half a mile away).

Thing that got to me is those print's were made, if not by you then somone else, to anyone that has any tracking experiance, it is chalk and cheese, even from a photo. If you did not make them, then I apoplogise for taking the ****, but am standing by my guns that print was a big fat fake!!!!!!!

heard today on the radio that this year there has been more reported sightings than any other there was said to of been over 600 sighting of big cats and over 1000 sightings of sharks by our coasts .i myself do believe there could be the odd black cat about probebly escaped from zoo or released ...i dont hinks theres hundreds of them tho :blink:

Mimic, I am sure that there is maybe one or two cats in the Uk, escaped or released as pets, as for the other thousands of sighting's, could it not be somebody walking their black lab along the brook half a mile away, lab runs from out the tree's for a second, runs back to the owner (owners hidden by the trees), or could it be the big bad puma that saw somone coming and ran and hid (bear in mind this is half a mile away).

Thing that got to me is those print's were made, if not by you then somone else, to anyone that has any tracking experiance, it is chalk and cheese, even from a photo. If you did not make them, then I apoplogise for taking the ****, but am standing by my guns that print was a big fat fake!!!!!!!

I have considered the posibility someone else put it down as a fake..... But it was not in a blatent place it was out of the way in the woodland part where no one really goes, you'd think they would have put it somewhere obvious for people to find.I Went into the woods for a **** and stumbled upon it by chance.

mimic - i was not taking a dig at you they were global comments not aimed specifically at your case.

lets face it with all the game parks in the UK at some point some large cats are going to have got out - i was not arguing that. I wanted to know from people that spend time in the field if they believe these are just mainly hype after possible real sightings from genuine escapes? or if people actually believe there is a population of wild surviving big cats in the UK.

There have also been on average 200 reported sightings per year of UFO’s. I would hazard a guess most of those were mistakes so excuse me if I don’t believe everything that is put in print by our not even remotely ethical reporters, after all experience tells us they never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

mimic - i was not taking a dig at you they were global comments not aimed specifically at your case.

lets face it with all the game parks in the UK at some point some large cats are going to have got out - i was not arguing that. I wanted to know from people that spend time in the field if they believe these are just mainly hype after possible real sightings from genuine escapes? or if people actually believe there is a population of wild surviving big cats in the UK.

There have also been on average 200 reported sightings per year of UFO’s. I would hazard a guess most of those were mistakes so excuse me if I don’t believe everything that is put in print by our not even remotely ethical reporters, after all experience tells us they never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

No problem mate, You can't put a thread like this up and not expect to get some Flack for it, And your right to question it that was the real point in the thread to debait the actual stance regarding these Cats.

When a shooter first said to me they had seen one, I can assure you i was Extremely skeptical to say the least, some of the UFO quotes and Other comments have rung very similar to ones that were ringing in my head at the time they said it.... But, after finding that print and speaking to numerous experienced shooters and other profesional bodys such as the police and big cat society, Well, let me tell you that humble pie sure didnt taste nice :blink:

As for actual numbers & species I would not like to say or guess, I really have no idea.

What i will say is that if all the Rabbits suddenly disapear from your shoot, and you happen to find a very large foot print near by, that happens to match perfectly with one from a puma. You might want to atleast consider the posibility that something else maybe around.

• 1 month later...
I did a thread on this a while back,

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=11967&hl=

as some gamekeepers in Suffolk could not stop the leaked out info that a big cat had been shot on one of the estates. I got it from a very good source, it got a mixed reaction, but I for one am convinced there are the odd big cats about, I was fishing at southwold Suffolk a while back and a kangaroo came out the bushes in front if me and mrs p on its way to who knows where!!! In bloddy Suffolk so why not a big cat I say

pavman

All though it is some way from Southwold, there is a house at Gedding, (Next to Bill Wyman's) that has Wallabies, and one of these could have escaped. I remember reading somewhere that the UK does infact have it's own small herd of wallabies whose ancestor's escaped from a zoo or Park during storms. I think this was in the midlands/nottingham area though.

Edit: having now read page 3 or 4 of thread found tht someone else mentioned this was in derbyshire.

It's not unreasonable that a wallaby could live here with our temperatures, having been to Oz and Tasmania and seen the things living in 3 foot snow drifts during the middle of winter. Lets face it they eat grass, shoots and leaves, the heathland out that way somewhat mirrors their normal habitat (minus the mountains and rocks) and we don't have large natural predators to eat them. :/

• 1 month later...

sorry to drag this up again, but, beleive me or not i saw the cat again last monday lunchtime, didnt say anything ot anyone outside the family for fear off mickey taking ect, but its been spotted alot in the area the last few days, even local copper spotted it and started a police search for it less than a mile from where i live, and the game keeper just up the road from me recons he saw it smashing his partridge pens up the other night aswell, anyway, thort id post this up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/6189306.stm

a black puma has been seen loads of times here and ive seen its pad prints on my shoot .

I work down the road at Feering every day and quite often drive round Messing, Easthorpe, Tolleshunt Darcy, Tolleshunt Knights etc. Obviously with the Prested Shoot putting birds down, the guy by the A12 having rearing Pens and the Braxted Estate Shoot as well as all the farmland down towards Mersea etc, there is alot of land around suitable for something to be seen. Given the fact that Tiptree has a lot of Gypsies, pykies, travellers in and around it, could it be possible, that the thing seen is in fact one of their large Mongrel type Alsations, lurchers etc? :lol:

Tiptree however being a built up town (Small, but a town nonetheless) would seem a strange place for a normally shy animal to be seen roaming out in the open! I am not disagreeing with you, rather speculating.

SS :stupid:

Its very possible that you could take a puma with a rimmie but id rather a 22wmr than an lr. I know people who have shot countless deer with a .22wmr and have never had wounded shots its all in the placement that said id still think its stupid but obviously can be done. People have taken bears with a 22lr why not a puma.

There are alot of factors though and probably the hardest would be getting close enough so that you can get an accurate shot in, the bullet has enough energy to shatter the back bone and of course more importantly not getting mauled

Just to support the deer argument i dont know the figures but with say . 22wmr and a CF 22 a 22/250 or something assuming your using the same bullets would it not be the same shooting a deer at 40 yards with a .22wmr than shooting a deer at 450 yards with a 22/250 (both of which ive known ot be done one shot kills again same person and never had a wounded deer)

As has been said a deer is a totally dif animal than a puma and i wouldnt like to be attemting either

• 2 months later...
What you really need is a Challenger 2 main battle tank. While you're waiting for the cat to appear, you can enjoy an egg banjo and a brew in the comfort of your turret, then lay into the cat with the 120mm gun. happy memories.....

AS90 SP Artillery has a155mm Gun :lol: , a lethal splinter distance is inexcess of 100m ;) , Oh and you can kill the cat from 25km away! :D

HE, PD. Charge Super, Load. - Very big bang!

Happy hunting!