Brian May

digger

storme37 - Take away Freddie Mercury from Queen and I doubt they would have made it big. I don't think anyone doubts that May has made a lot of money. He is a decent guitarist - not great - and is no doubt continuing to cash in on Queen. As you point out, he is entitled to do so. However, he is as relevant to the music scene today as Paul McCartney.

Both haven't had a hit in years, both have dodgy hair - think atrocious dye or bouffant - both are opinionated on subjects out of their depth.

They should just shut up and retire. They are past their sell by date and are just plain embarrassing.

Citing the wealth and past success merely defeats your own argument. It's all in the past.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

storme37 - Take away Freddie Mercury from Queen and I doubt they would have made it big. I don't think anyone doubts that May has made a lot of money. He is a decent guitarist - not great - and is no doubt continuing to cash in on Queen. As you point out, he is entitled to do so. However, he is as relevant to the music scene today as Paul McCartney.

Both haven't had a hit in years, both have dodgy hair - think atrocious dye or bouffant - both are opinionated on subjects out of their depth.

They should just shut up and retire. They are past their sell by date and are just plain embarrassing.

Citing the wealth and past success merely defeats your own argument. It's all in the past.

total tosh both queen and paul mc have loads of fans ,and both groups needed all there members lol im not a fan of mr mays but maybe drum and bass rubbish would be more relevant for you if its just about timeline not quality. how does saying mr may is not a loser in terms of his music as he has been and is still making a good living from it defeat my argument as my argument that he was successful is shown by his record sales. however as poontang said. he hasnt shot as many pigeons as him.

Edited by storme37

Pain in the **** that he has become, he was deemed good enough to play god save the queen from the top of buckingham palace which is fair job for a has been.

It also shows him as a massive hypocrite.

HRH and her family are huge hunting/shooting participants. However, I'm sure all his 'anti' sentiments went out the window when the invite to play dropped on his door mat.

I can't stand the bloke, or for that matter McCartney, Bono, Geldof and all the other self appointed, multi millionaire saviours of the world.

he may be a vegitarian but he once worked with someone who ate lots of meat.

The cull may not work but there are very many learned people who are supporting this cull as one measure the spread of against bovine TB. of course it is only one round from an arsenel of measures which will need to be done to control it.

The total protection of badgers cannot be a viable method of conservation, they even switch off heart lung machines when there is no hope but shoot a badger and you will be hung drawn & quartered.

Plus if "cullers - by definition are motivated by violence then they would never have had a SGC/FAC issued to them by the policing bodies. Utter claptrap.from him

Martin

Spot on!

It also shows him as a massive hypocrite.

HRH and her family are huge hunting/shooting participants. However, I'm sure all his 'anti' sentiments went out the window when the invite to play dropped on his door mat.

I can't stand the bloke, or for that matter McCartney, Bono, Geldof and all the other self appointed, multi millionaire saviours of the world.

This is also very,very true.If he truly believed in his principles he could have refused the gig on the front of Buck' Palace,made the media aware of the reasons why,some of which would have made sure a snub to her RH became front page news,and voila....his cause would have received more exposure than the antis could ever dream of.What a snub to the establishment and all they stand for that would have been.But he didn't......he's as much a member of the establishment he claims to resent as the rest of them.

I like Queen, and I like May ( as a musician) theres no doubt he was a better than good Guitarist, Rolling Stone magazine expert panel put him at No 26 out of 100 in the alltime greats list in 2011 so he cant be that bad.

All the band members of Queen were like the cast of Dads Army, perfect for each part..

When Queen first came on the scene and had early success it was just as much as for Mays brilliant guitar riffs as for Freddies unequivocal campness..add to that a very good Drummer in Taylor and a rather unsung Bassist in Deacon and it was a great combination.

Mercury composed the majority of Queens hits but May was not far behind him and anyone who has listened to any Queen music will know that the band is instantly recognisable due not to Mercury's vocals but more over because of Mays Guitar work. Sure Mercury was brilliant but by the same token a Queen without May would not have been the same.

I was lucky enough to see Queen several times in the 70,s and 80,s including being at Hyde park in 85 which was the greatest performance of any Rock Band anywhere in the world..I can still remember it vividly and yes Mercury was brilliant, but so were May, Deacon and Taylor.

Its wrong to say Queen were nothing without Mercury...I also saw the Queen plus Paul Rodgers again at Hyde Park in 2005...Rodgers ( who I have always been a big fan of ) was sensational in my opinion some critics even suggesting he had a better vocal presence than Mercury. This in itself was ironic because Mercury was a big fan of Rodgers.

As for living off the past exploits, success and reputation of the band thats just plain rubbish and no different at all to Daltrey, McCartney, Plant et al

He may be a bunny hugger, badger loving, fox cuddler...but anyone who doubts his prowess as a musician is either under the age of 40 or is just talking complete sweetmeats.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

He has also made a mistake getting political over his views as that will invariably, and fortunately, reduce the support he has for his views.

I did like the reference he made to the Mandela cause in the article, as progressive for mankind as it was, peaceful it most certainly was not.

I reckon he should be left to crack on as he'll soon be found out by even more people.

Regardless of the motives I generally have more time for celebs speaking out against / in support of resolving humanitarian issues.

He has also made a mistake getting political over his views as that will invariably, and fortunately, reduce the support he has for his views.

I did like the reference he made to the Mandela cause in the article, as progressive for mankind as it was, peaceful it most certainly was not.

I reckon he should be left to crack on as he'll soon be found out by even more people.

Regardless of the motives I generally have more time for celebs speaking out against / in support of resolving humanitarian issues.

Yes I wouldnt disagree with that at all..

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I like Queen, and I like May ( as a musician) theres no doubt he was a better than good Guitarist, Rolling Stone magazine expert panel put him at No 26 out of 100 in the alltime greats list in 2011 so he cant be that bad.

39th in 2012.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time-19691231/brian-may-19691231

That's poor, even by The Who's low standards. :P

The thing that I can never understand is why people would care what all of these so called media personalities have to say about anything there are lots of people that I admire what talent they have but dose that make them good people I do not think so the problem is I'm afraid to say that lots of people do listen to them how sad is that.

Just for the record I am against killing Badgers if cows get this disease in an area the simple solution is do not put caws there grow stuff on the land and put the caws in another part of the country simple. :good:

Could you explain why we have to move our stock and crops around the countryside, just because you are against killing

diseased Badgers ?.

So you want to plant wheat, vegetables etc, in areas that once had cattle grazing, I'm sure the Badgers would like that, they

would have something to cock their leg against and squirt their contaminated urine over.

So where do you want the cattle to go ?, some remote Scottish island where there are no Badgers !!.

The fact is the Badger is a pest and should never have been put on the protected list

After compulsory Tb testing started in about 1950, Tb was almost eradicated from our herds, then Badgers were given

protection, and they are the main carriers of bovine Tb.

Farmers and country people know that Badgers spreads bovine Tb, they know the cause, and they know the cure.

How many more thousand cattle are going to be slaughtered because the likes of you and Brian May sees the Badger

as a harmless cuddly creature, remember Badgers also die a slow death with Tb.

Your remark was obviously made with no knowledge of farming or the countryside.

One day these bunny huggers will be choking on their imported vegetables from foreign lands that fertilse their crops

with human excrement.

anyway quote from Wikipedia....."Led Zeppelin were an English Rock Band" .............. "The Who are an English Rock band"

Checkmate :lol:

And a quote from poontang's 'Big book of quotes'......"Led Zeppelin were an English rock band who have continually outsold 'The Who'.... who are an English rock band scraping a living by playing charity gigs and sporting events.

Game, set and match :P

Edited by poontang

And a quote from poontang's 'Big book of quotes'......"Led Zeppelin were an English rock band who have continually outsold 'The Who'.... who are an English rock band scraping a living by playing charity gigs and sporting events.

Game, set and match :P

my dear chap do you know anything about music the who were great admittedly better with moon :lol: led zep were great to

Edited by storme37

Queen were fine with Freddie and Paul Rodgers. You could have selected a few hundred guitarists who could have replaced Brian May.

As for his place in guitar lists - they are a joke. They miss out more than they include. I frequently see Keith Richards in there. The same man who was so brilliant that they drafted in Mick Taylor to play the decent bits. The same magazines who insist Slash - Saul Hudson - was born in Stoke - laughable.

storme37 - for someone who belittles others' knowledge of music, you appear to know enough to fill a postage stamp, in inch print.

my dear chap do you know anything about music the who were great admittedly better with moon :lol: led zep were great to

It appears he does, more than you perhaps?

Oh no, hang on, it's not knowledge, it's personal taste and therefore not a tangible, definable measure, ergo no one wins or loses.