Para olympics

jasper3

Some of these people are amazing what they can do I do have a bit of a problem with all of the different category's people with bits missing no offence implied and people who are paralysed that is simple to understand. But some of the other things when you have people with different disabilities where they do not explain it properly why they are in the same category puts me off a bit having said that most of it is brilliant.

On the radio this morning the DJ was saying that over the next few weeks there’s going to be a lot of people making ‘mistakes’ in how they speak about the disabilities and conditions.

The best plan is to not consider these as insults, but just accept that it’s an innocent mistake without malice and get on with celebrating the games.

As for the different groupings there was a great little article on the BBC website that explained a lot of it.

In short, they test all the competitors to see how able they are then put them in groups with similar people.

Strangely, someone may be in group 1 for front crawl but group 3 for back stroke depending on their disability.

There’s a whole load of work that goes into it, and people trying to sneak into different groups is as bigger problem as doping is in the Olympics.

(also people with knackered spines and cardio systems giving their blood pressure a boost by electrocuting their own nuts.)

I was watching the cycling this afternoon and they was trying to explain how it works but in to be honest I still cannot work out how it works they said that the times given for each race is automatically adjusted for each rider for me it makes it hard to get that interested if I now all of this is going on in the background and when you get to the basket ball that is something different again but perhaps it is best not to look to deeply in to it gust enjoy it for what it is.

yes the categories can be confusing, and they have joined a few groups together but times are more important, was watching a guy doing back stroke with no arms.... jeeze he was fantastic and he won ........

I read about him, as he has no arms he cant touch the end to finish so has to swim full speed headfirst into the wall. That is some serious commitment.

I'm going to watch some athletics on the 6th Sept.

I can't wait!!!

Me too. Having been the the Olympics I am more excited about the Paralympics.

Athletics finals on the 7th.

Bring it on (and very proud and inspired by what these `disabled` people have achieved).